|For alternate versions of Ebony Maw, see Ebony Maw's Character Hub|
Learning of Another Timeline
In an alternate 2014, Nebula overloaded due to sharing the same cerebral network with her future self, who had traveled back in time. After Nebula was taken aboard the Sanctuary II on orders from Thanos, she was examined by Ebony Maw. Maw quickly remarked that Nebula's files were entangled, with memories that were not hers.
Maw concluded that there was another Nebula in their timeline, and discovered her time stamp to be from nine years into the future. Maw revealed that Nebula's future self was on Morag. Thanos then asked Maw to access the duplicate's memories, and search them for the locations of the Infinity Stones. When the memories began to play, Thanos ordered Maw to freeze an image, revealing Nebula and the Avengers planning the Time Heist.
Demanding to see everything in the duplicate's mind, Thanos had Maw continue to play the memories, eventually reaching the day the Avengers confronted a weakened Thanos after he had succeeded in uniting the six Infinity Stones snapping his fingers. As the 2014 Thanos revealed in the fact that he was destined to succeed, Maw remarked that this was his future. However, the memory then showed Thanos' death at the hands of Thor.
Maw insisted to Thanos that his daughter was a traitor, and fashioned a chain around her neck to kill her, as Nebula desperately confessed it wasn't her. Thanos decided to spare her, hoping to find another use for her. As the future Nebula remained trapped in 2014 due to her overload, Thanos captured her and decided to time travel to the future. Maw helped Thanos to reverse-engineer and mass-produce Pym Particles, thus allowing Thanos to bring the Black Order and his enormous armies to the future in order to get all six Infinity Stones.
Upon arriving in the main universe, alternate Thanos summoned his forces down from the Sanctuary II, including Maw. Maw stood on the ruins of the Avengers Compound alongside the Black Order and soon charged into battle.
Maw fought in the battle, but paused upon seeing Clint Barton with the Nano Gauntlet, complete with all six Infinity Stones. Maw alerted Thanos to Barton’s presence and instructed a horde of Outriders to charge him. However, Barton was saved by T'Challa, who took the Gauntlet. Maw then intervened and telekinetically restrained T'Challa from the concrete above ground, and nearly took the Gauntlet from him, only for Peter Parker to take it from his reach, much to his anger.
To be added
Powers and Abilities
- Telekinesis: Maw was able to move and otherwise manipulate inanimate objects to his will to an immense degree. During the Battle of Earth, Maw used his powers to attempt to get the Nano Gauntlet from Black Panther. This also caused a tornado of rubble around him to rise as well, and he was able to use more rubble to form a rock fist around Black Panther in order to get the Nano Gauntlet.
- Levitation: Maw could use his telekinesis to levitate, occasionally using this skill as a means of transportation.
- Magic: Maw is adept in magic. He used this ability to help Thanos reverse-engineer and mass-produce Pym Particles, thus allowing Thanos to bring the Black Order and his enormous armies to the future in order to get all six Infinity Stones.
- Expert Tactician: To be added
To be added
- Ebony Maw is the only member of the Black Order whose 2014 and 2018 versions were killed by the same person (Iron Man).
Behind the Scenes
- The fight between Ebony Maw and Black Panther during the Battle of Earth sequence in Avengers: Endgame was originally longer but it was cut.