Doctor Strange: Mystic Apprentice is a digital comic set during the events of Doctor Strange.
BEFORE HE WAS THE SORCERER SUPREME… STRANGE MASTERED THE MYSTIC ARTS!
• A master of delicate surgery, DR. STEPHEN STRANGE had no equal… until a freak accident shattered his hands!
• Now a student of the MYSTIC ARTS, Strange must find a way to master his magical assignment… or throw in his cape and robes for good!
• Don’t miss this all-new story, as Strange finds that the road to Sorcerer Supreme can be a real pain in the… astral form!
• ALSO: reprinting the original first appearance and origin stories of Doctor Strange from STRANGE TALES #110 and #115!
Stephen Strange struggles to form an Astral Projection of himself, as he starts to focus on memories of his time as a doctor and a near-fatal car crash he was in. Angry about having failed, he spars with Grem, and they discuss his problem. Grem disarms Strange, defeating him and advising him not to rely too heavily on the tools he is given, including his own mind.
Strange goes to the library in Kamar-Taj and checks out all of the remaining books about Astral Projections. He asks Wong if any book in the library could teach him how to make Wong smile, but Wong says that the answer to that is not in a book. He again tries to form a Projection, but begins remembering his time dating Christine Palmer and his car accident. He fails to make the projection again, so he goes outside and calms down by forming Tao Mandalas, which Grem applauds him for. He advises Strange to use his previously learned skills in conjunction with one another, and Strange continues training.
Frustrated, Strange asks B'sso for advice, but B'sso vaguely explains that Masters of the Mystic Arts do not know everything, and that he is unable to help Strange. Strange tells Wong that he does not understand what he is doing wrong, and Wong explains that sometimes that is the best place to start. Strange falls asleep in the library, successfully forming an Astral Projection. He flies through the room and celebrates, leaving the library while Wong smiles. Strange continues his training and studies as a Projection while his body sleeps.
- Kathmandu, Nepal
- New York City, New York
- Metro-General Hospital (flashback)
- Astral Dimension
- Camelot, England (mentioned)