|For other uses, see Doctor Strange (disambiguation)|
|For other uses, see Stonekeeper (disambiguation)|
Stephen Vincent Strange M.D., Ph.D is a powerful sorcerer and Master of the Mystic Arts. Originally a brilliant yet arrogant neurosurgeon, Strange got into a car accident, resulting in his hands becoming crippled. When Western medicine failed him, Strange embarked on a journey that led him to Kamar-Taj where Strange had made the discovery of magic and alternate dimensions, being trained by the Ancient One. Though focused on healing his hands, Strange learned more of the mystic arts and helped the Masters prevent Kaecilius from merging Earth with their Dark Dimension, but not before witnessing the Ancient One's death. With the demise of his mentor, Strange became the protector of the New York Sanctum within New York City as well as Earth's protector from any inter-dimensional threats.
From his new position, Strange met and aided Thor with locating his father Odin. When Thanos and the Black Order attacked Earth, Strange and Wong were targeted as they held the Time Stone. Strange was soon abducted by Ebony Maw, who tried to take the Time Stone from him but failed when Strange was rescued by Iron Man and Spider-Man. Strange later joined all his new allies, along with the Guardians of the Galaxy, on Titan to battle Thanos in a desperate attempt to stop him. Secretly, however, he had seen that the only path to victory involved allowing Thanos to win in a fashion that allowed Stark to survive and stranded Scott Lang in the Quantum Realm so both could help undo his actions and Stark could defeat him for good. As a result, once they were defeated, Strange was forced to surrender the stone to Thanos for his Infinity Gauntlet in exchange for saving a mortally wounded Stark’s life. Strange was one of the casualties of the Snap caused by Thanos after he had succeeded in gaining all the Infinity Stones, informing Stark that it was the only way.
Five years later, after Hulk and the Avengers succeeded in resurrecting all the lives lost in the Snap, Strange traveled to various places, meeting all of the revived heroes and transporting them to the ruins of the New Avengers Facility, where they collectively fought against Thanos' army during the Battle of Earth, where Strange informed Iron Man that this battle was the one in fourteen million where they had a chance of winning. After Iron Man sacrificed his life to kill Thanos, Strange attended Stark's funeral.
- "How did you get to reattach severed nerves, and put a human spine back together bone by bone?"
"Study and practice. Years of it."
- ―Ancient One and Stephen Strange
Stephen Strange was born in New York City. He had a sister named Donna, who drowned after getting a cramp while swimming. Unable to save his sister, Strange decided to become a doctor to save lives. Strange went to medical school and eventually graduated with an M.D. and Ph.D. at the same time, using his photographic memory to learn all of the information incredibly quickly.
Career as a Neurosurgeon
- "Look, I'm using trans-sectioned spinal cords to stimulate neurogenesis in the central nervous system. My work is at least going to save thousands for years to come."
- ―Stephen Strange to Christine Palmer
As an adult, Strange had begun specializing in neurological surgery and focusing his research on the formation of new nerve cells. Strange eventually became attracted to Christine Palmer, a fellow surgeon who had worked alongside him in the ER department of Metro-General Hospital where together they successfully invented a laminectomy procedure, something which Strange tried to take full credit for and even have named after him. The two later began a relationship; it did not last due to Strange's arrogance and his focus on his career, but the two continued to work with each other and remained friends, with Palmer even gifting him a watch.
In 2012, Strange was present in New York City during the Chitauri Invasion. With the Battle of New York taking place far from him, Strange performed a surgery at a hospital about twenty blocks from the New York Sanctum, away from the battlefield. By 2016, he was one of the top surgeons in New York City, being scheduled on discussing life-saving techniques on an interview with WHiH World News. However, Strange became more egotistical as his skills and craft increased.
Top of the World
- "Now's not the time for showing off, Strange."
"How about ten minutes ago when you called the wrong time of death?"
- ―Nicodemus West and Stephen Strange
On February 2nd, continuing his neurosurgeon career, Strange performed another operation while at Metro-General Hospital, where he had watched a team of students who were all taking notes. While he was operating, Strange requested Billy to play music and have Strange use his impressive memory to guess the song, artist and year it had been released, which he was able to do each time, much to the great frustration of Billy and all of the other nurses.
Once he had completed yet another successful surgery, Strange was asked by Christine Palmer to help with a patient who had been shot in a firefight. Leaving his nurses to finish with the operation without him, Strange met with Palmer outside the operating room where she presented the x-ray of her patient. While Strange joked that clearly, the issue she was having was that the patient had a bullet inside his head, Strange suddenly realized there was something wrong.
Despite Nicodemus West's objections, who wanted to start recovering the patient's organs immediately, Strange found a perfectly intact bullet and realized the bullet was hardened by a poison that caused the patient to fail reflexes tests and enter a death-like state. Realizing Doctor West misdiagnosed brain death in the patient, Strange and Palmer rushed to stop West and prepared to perform immediate surgery to try and remove the bullet.
Although West requested to assist Strange in the operation, Strange refused the offer and instead told Palmer to come to assist him. As the operation went underway, Palmer thanked Strange for believing her. He prepared to remove the bullet freehand without the use of a machine, as there was such little time. Demanding absolute silence, which included West being told to cover his watch, Strange eventually managed to find and then remove the bullet.
Immediately following the successful surgery, Palmer questioned if Strange really needed to humiliate West in front of all of the other doctors, although Strange confidently noted that he did not have to save West's own patient either but sometimes he just could not help himself. When Palmer continued to defend West and called him a great doctor Strange asked Palmer if she and West were sleeping together, claiming that the mere concept disgusted him. Palmer then denied the accusation, stating it was against the "Strange Policy," a policy against dating coworkers, which she named after him, which still pleased Strange to have something named after him.
They briefly discussed the laminectomy procedure they had invented together, with Strange still complaining that it had not been named after him yet. Strange proceeded to tell Palmer that he was set to speak at an American Neurological Association dinner later that night and invited her to accompany him. Palmer declined, stating that she never enjoyed going to speaking engagements and that the reason he went was that it boosted his already absurdly large ego.
Fall From Grace
- "Give your body time to heal."
"You've ruined me..."
- ―Nicodemus West and Stephen Strange
The same day, despite the rejection from Christine Palmer, Strange prepared himself to go and attend the dinner alone, going through his Apartment to put on a new tux and pick the perfect watch to wear, one that was gifted to him by Palmer while they were in a relationship. Now dressed and ready to go, Strange got into his sports car and drove through New York City at high speed and little regard for his safety.
While en route to the dinner, Strange received a phone call from his colleague Billy, who had come across three new potential surgeries, including a thirty-five-year-old Air Force colonel who had crushed his lower spine in some kind of experimental armor and sixty-eight-year-old woman with an advanced brain stem glioma. After turning down the first two which he deemed below him, Strange eventually showed interest in a schizophrenic who had been struck by lightning.
As Strange took his eyes off the road to view the patient's records, becoming interested in the x-ray Billy had sent him, he collided with another car. Unable to do anything to save himself, Strange's hands were crushed beyond repair by the impact, all while his car flew straight off the road before crashing into a nearby river bank. Trapped in the wreckage of the car, Strange lay in utter agony and eventually lost consciousness.
Having eventually been found in the wreckage of his own car after a desperate search, Strange was immediately rushed to Metro-General Hospital and underwent a surgery that lasted eleven hours, overseen by Palmer and Nicodemus West. Although his own life had been saved due to the emergency surgery, both of Strange's hands had now suffered permanent nerve damage which had forced West to use eleven stainless steel pins inside of the bones.
When Strange woke up the following day while in his hospital bed, he found Palmer waiting by him. As he looked in horror, Strange discovered that his hands were terribly scarred and learned from Palmer that both of his hands, which were crushed during the crash, suffered severe nerve damage and were rendered inoperable. When Palmer insisted that nobody else could have done a better job for him, Strange still insisted that he could have done better.
Searching For A Cure
- "Pass the stent under the brachial artery under the radial artery."
"It's possible. Experimental, and expensive, but possible."
"All I need is possible."
- ―Stephen Strange and Medical Board Member
Eventually, Strange's bandages on his hands were removed and he finally attempted simply to part all his fingers, however, this proved almost impossible due to the pain it caused and the amount his hands shook. Nicodemus West advised Strange to allow his body to heal, but Strange then furiously accused West of ruining his body and his entire career.
Upon being released from Metro-General Hospital, Strange focused his efforts on finding a way to cure his own hands, pushing for new experimental treatments. Strange had soon spent most of his money on seven different operations as well as numerous other rehabilitation techniques, but all soon proved to be unsuccessful. With each new attempt, he was forced to sell up his lavish lifestyle and belongings to fund the operations, leaving him with little left to his name.
While undergoing all his physical therapy, Strange was instructed to open his fingers using a brace, something he still found to be almost impossible to do without causing himself great pain. While Strange complained to his physical therapist about how unlikely it was that he would ever fix this nerve damage, the therapist gave an example of one patient he had treated who had seemingly cured himself of a paralyzed spine, which Strange refused to believe was possible.
One day while in his Apartment, Strange was on a video call with a doctor who stated that he cannot help him and turned him down, angering him as he threw his tablet across the room. While Strange was still fuming, Christine Palmer came to his apartment trying to convince him to stop wasting all his money on his hands, as well as telling him to move on by assuring him that there were other ways to save lives and live his own life to the fullest with her help.
Strange did not want to move on but find a way to restore his hands so he could return to his former life as a neurosurgeon, claiming there was an experimental procedure in Tokyo he wished to try as it could be an opportunity to fix his hands and return to his life. Becoming more frustrated and angry, Strange then lashed out at Palmer by stating that she is only pitying him because she loved a sob story which Strange saw himself as. This hurt Palmer who then demanded that he apologize, but he refused, stating that she should leave.
Palmer left him and walked out of his life, leaving the now alone and frustrated Strange to look out over New York City and consider all the decisions he had made and what he was going to do next. While he was picking up the papers he had thrown on the ground in a rage, Strange eventually found a letter from his physical therapist with the documents on Jonathan Pangborn, the paraplegic who had regained the ability to walk again, which seemed to confirm his story.
When the instructor sent him Pangborn's file, Strange tracked him down and found him playing a game of basketball with his friends, seemingly in top physical condition. Despite his initial reluctance due to Strange having refused to take him as a patient before, Pangborn agreed to help when Strange revealed his damaged hands. Pangborn told Strange the source of his healing, leading him to Kamar-Taj and the Ancient One, wishing him good luck in his quest.
Trained in Magic
Meeting the Ancient One
- "I reject it because I do not believe in fairy tales about chakras or energy or the power of belief. There is no such thing as spirit! We are made of matter and nothing more. You're just another tiny, momentary speck within an indifferent universe."
"You think too little of yourself."
"Oh, you think you see through me, do you? Well, you don't!"
- ―Stephen Strange and Ancient One
Spending the last of his money on a ticket to Nepal, Strange began his search for Kamar-Taj. Without any knowledge of where it was located or even what Kamar-Taj was, Strange resorted to simply asking any person he passed if they could give him the information. While walking through the back streets, Strange encountered a hurt dog and decided to stop and give it a makeshift bandage for his leg, joking he would be charging the dog for the treatment.
He was then cornered in an alley by three thugs who attempted to rob him, despite Strange insisting that he did not have any money. The thugs demanded his expensive watch, which Strange refused as it was a gift from Christine Palmer, so Strange tried to defend himself only to be beaten up by all of the thugs. However, Strange was then rescued by Karl Mordo, a student of the Ancient One who promised to bring him to Kamar-Taj as Strange had wanted.
Mordo led Strange into Kamar-Taj, which was not the mystic location he was expected as he joked about it. Mordo warned him not to be disrespectful and to forget everything he thought he knew. Inside, Strange initially mistook an elderly man for the Ancient One before he is introduced to the true Sorcerer Supreme, who presented him with tea and welcomed him to their world. Strange began asking how she helped Jonathan Pangborn to heal his broken body.
At first, Strange believed they were researching cell regeneration but quickly became skeptical of her methods of curing Pangborn as she claimed she and the Masters of the Mystic Arts had healed Pangborn through his spirit. Strange became angry, declaring that she was now wasting his time, noting that he had spent all his money to find her and cure his hands, claiming that he saw through her lies, before she then pushed his astral form out his body to present him with his first experience of the Astral Dimension, much to Strange's horror.
Strange was shocked but denied what just happened, thinking he had been drugged, although the Ancient One insisted all she gave him was tea with a little honey, which Strange doubted. Seeking to show him more of what she could offer, the Ancient One then sent Strange through the Multiverse, showing him the various realities before dragging him back when Mordo claimed that his heart rate was spiking, although the Ancient One said he was fine.
Strange was sent back through the Multiverse where he was told that the reality he knew was simply one of many. The Ancient One spoke to him while he was still being flung across all the different realities, challenging him to open his eyes to these possibilities while he had visions of the Quantum Realm as well as the Dark Dimension, seeing a glance of the terrifying Dormammu. The Ancient One made Strange question who he was within this multiverse, while he encountered sights and senses beyond his wildest imaginations.
Having experienced something was unexplainable, Strange was then back into the room within Kamar-Taj where he fell to the feet of the Ancient One, to questioned if he had ever had an experience like that in a gift shop. Barely recovering from the revelations shown to him, Strange remained on his knees and begged her to teach him how to do this, but she refused and then had him cast out because of his previous disrespect towards her and their ways.
Thrown out on to the streets of Nepal, Strange was unable to stop the Masters of the Mystic Arts from locking the door behind them and trapping him outside. Seeing this as his last chance, Strange charged back at the door and screamed out at the Ancient One and Mordo to please let him back inside. Strange then spent the next five hours banging on the door and begging to be let back inside until finally, Mordo had changed the Ancient One's mind.
Once back inside, Strange was shown into his room by Mordo who advised Strange to use his time to rest and meditate until the Ancient One had called for him in the morning. When Strange was handed a piece of paper reading Shamballa, he questioned if this was now his mantra, to which Mordo explained that it was their Wi-Fi password. Once alone, Strange removed his now broken watch and read the message Christine Palmer had engraved on the back.
- "Even if my fingers could do that, my hands would just be waving in the air. I mean, how do I get from here to there?"
- ―Doctor Strange to Ancient One
The next morning Strange sat down with the Ancient One who began to explain how the Masters of the Mystic Arts drew their power from other dimensions within the Multiverse which allowed them to shape reality, explaining how Jonathan Pangborn used his Magic to move his body, and that she planned for Strange to learn how to do the same with his hands. When Strange asked how he could gain these new skills with his damaged hands, the Ancient One compared it to Strange's studies to become a world-renowned doctor.
Seeking to better his understanding, Strange went to the library to take out several books on the concept of Magic. There he met the librarian Wong, who Strange began mocking for his refusal to smile and his single name, comparing him to Adele and Bono. As Wong expressed his great surprise that Strange had read so many complex books on the Mystic Arts, he invited him to a deeper section of the library to study some of the more detailed books.
Strange questioned how Kamar-Taj worked in terms of knowledge, asking if he could read the Book of Cagliostro, to which Wong said that while no knowledge was off limits in Kamar-Taj, some was too dangerous for a new student like he currently was and therefore Strange was not permitted to read it. Strange noted how the book was missing a page, Wong explained that the previous Kamar-Taj Librarian had been killed by Kaecilius and his Zealots before Wong threatened Strange not to take books without permission, to which Strange simply teased him, questioning the punishment for late fees, before returning back to his room to continue studying.
Mastering the Sling Ring
- "I control it by surrendering control? That doesn't make any sense."
"Not everything does. Not everything has to. Your intellect has taken you far in life. But it will take you no further. Surrender, Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise."
- ―Stephen Strange and Ancient One
Strange began his training with all of the other students under the watchful eye of Karl Mordo but struggled initially, finding himself disappointingly unable to create a portal using the Sling Ring which the other trainees appeared to have no issue doing. Becoming more frustrated as he continued to fail, Strange told the Ancient One that he believed that the shaking in his hands is the cause. Not accepting this excuse, the Ancient One invited Master Hamir to demonstrate his own skill.
Revealing that Hamir was missing a hand but was still able to use his power regardless, the Ancient One made it clear that Strange could do the same thing if given more practice and confidence in his own abilities as a sorcerer. Deciding that Strange needed more pressure to improve his skills, the Ancient One created her own portal and then took Strange the top of Mount Everest where Strange suffered the horrific cold but was amazed by the view before him.
Wearing only thin clothing, the Ancient One told Strange that the only way he would be able to return to Kamar-Taj before he froze to death was to successfully use his Sling Ring, before she left him behind, much to Strange's horror. Despite still struggling at first, eventually Strange mastered the techniques he needed and successfully created a portal and landed back at Kamar-Taj, much to the Ancient One and Mordo's amusement as he fell onto his face before them.
- "Once, in this room, you told me to open my eyes. Now I'm being told to blindly accept rules that make no sense."
"Like the rule against conjuring a gateway in the library?"
- ―Doctor Strange and Ancient One
With this achievement, Strange gained the confidence that he could have the skills to become a sorcerer. Strange successfully managed to shave his beard down, giving himself a new look before he went to the library and asked Wong for some new books, jokingly calling him Beyonce, however, Wong still believed that Strange was not ready for the books.
When Wong refused to hand over the books, Strange took it upon himself to use his Sling Ring to take books from the library behind Wong's back, though he quickly found out. With the books borrowed from Wong, Strange studied in his sleep using the Astral Dimension and progressed rapidly in his studies over the following months, also emailing Christine Palmer whenever he could to try and repair the friendship he had so badly damaged just before he had left.
Strange then learned how to master the Astral Projection. While his studies were becoming even more impressive, Strange also began questioning many of the rules presented to him in Kamar-Taj and started teaching himself. As a result, the Ancient One invited Strange to use the Mirror Dimension to study where he could not affect the real world. While she presented this dimension to him, the Ancient One warned of the threats like Kaecilius where this dimension could protect lives from any of the Zealots' sudden attacks.
Training with Mordo
Stepping back onto the courtyard of Kamar-Taj, Strange began his fight training with Karl Mordo. He questioned Mordo about the Ancient One, asking her true age. Mordo explained that nobody knew the true age of the Ancient One, to which Strange questioned how he could follow someone he knew nothing about, but Mordo insisted that she was trustworthy regardless of her secrets.
As they sparred, Strange and Mordo discussed Kaecilius and why he had turned against the Masters of the Mystic Arts. Taking a break from fighting, Mordo explained the concept of relics, which held their power within objects rather than in the Masters themselves. Strange laughed at the complex names as Mordo introduced him to the Staff of the Living Tribunal and Vaulting Boots of Valtorr and then invited Strange to conjure up his own weapon using his powers.
Just as Strange conjured his whip out of pure Magic energy, Mordo proceeded to beat him into submission to prove a point, telling him that he needed to fight as if his life depended on it, as one day it may. Once back in his room later that night, Strange went back onto his tablet and wrote yet another email to Christine Palmer, hoping that she might finally reply to him so that he could make amends for all of his unfortunate actions to her and they could move forward.
Using an Infinity Stone
After nine months of training, Strange walked inside the library only to find Wong was not there. Strange then took the chance to read the Book of Cagliostro and decided to use the Eye of Agamotto. Strange experimented with its power by making an apple regrow and then rot, discovering the Eye had given him control over time itself in the process. Strange also recreated the missing page on the book which made him realize how The Ancient One remained young.
Wong and Karl Mordo stumbled into Strange's experiment and both warned him not to bend fundamental natural laws so haphazardly, noting that misuse of items of such incredible power, like the Eye, could cause Strange to become trapped in a time loop forever as a result. Upon hearing this Strange awkwardly recommended that the warnings should be put in front of the spells, not after. When asked how he had performed such a difficult spell for an early level trainee of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Strange explained that he had used his photographic memory before questioning what the purpose of the Masters was as this had never been explained to him.
Taking Strange into the next room, Wong and Mordo explained how they protect the Earth from mystical threats in much the same way that the Avengers protect it from physical ones. Strange questioned if one of these great threats was Dormammu, noting how he had read of Dormammu in the book. Wong then explained how Dormammu came from the Dark Dimension and sought to consume the Earth and rule over the entire Multiverse to become all powerful.
Strange initially refused to fight in a "mystic war" before the London Sanctum was attacked by Kaecilius, with the corpse of Sol Rama, the Sanctum's protector, dropping at their feet. The Sanctum was then destroyed and the explosion ripped through the Kamar-Taj and knocked everybody off their feet, trapping Strange in the New York Sanctum based within New York City as he became separated from all of his allies and was now unable to return to Kamar-Taj.
Finding himself in a new location in New York City due to just being thrown through the portal, Strange walked throughout the New York Sanctum looking for anybody and had soon discovered the Rotunda of Gateways as well as the Cloak of Levitation, which had seemed to acknowledge him, during his time looking around all of the corridors and searching around for someone to help him get back.
However, Strange soon heard some commotion and when he went to investigate, he discovered Kaecilius and all his Zealots attacking the building, with Kaecilius seemingly having gained the ability to fold space and matter outside of the Mirror Dimension. While watching from a safe distance, Strange witnessed Daniel Drumm, the guardian of the Sanctum, being murdered by Kaecilius and made his presence known to the attackers but was too late to save Drumm.
Kaecilius initially mistook Strange's name for Mister Doctor as they awkwardly greeted each other, but soon forgot this and attacked him in order to complete his plan to bring Dormammu to Earth. Strange fought back against the Zealots as they all charged towards him as a unit, using his Sling Ring to create whips that stopped their attacks and beat them back as he had been taught to do by Karl Mordo, at one point using the whip to grab hold of a lamp which he threw at his attackers before attempting to run away for his life.
As Strange attempted to run through the hallway, however, Kaecilius used his own Magic to manipulate the hallway and keep Strange from getting away, forcing Strange to continue defending himself. Using all of the Ancient One's techniques, Strange created shields for himself, although he had trouble controlling them as he lost control over one. Kaecilius' zealots then attacked Strange who managed to defend himself for a time, until Kaecilius used his magic to twist the hallway, causing Strange to be thrown painfully against the all walls before having to hold on as it was then turned vertically.
Seeing an opportunity, Strange used the Rotunda of Gateways he had found earlier to throw one disciple in the desert. With limited time to trap the Zealot within the desert with no way back, Strange attempted to lock the door only for another Zealot, Lucian Aster to attack him. Using his wits, Strange gained the upper hand and locked the door before trapping Aster in the jungle, leaving only himself and Kaecilius inside the New York Sanctum to continue fighting.
As they continued to fight throughout the Sanctum, the desperate Strange soon found himself being overpowered by the highly trained Kaecilius and at one point attempted to intimidate Kaecilius by using the Brazier of Bom'Galiath, only to have to eventually admit that he did not know how to use it as a weapon and instead threw it at his head. Believing that their fight would soon be over, Kaecilius began knocking Strange through all of the glass containers.
Strange was soon knocked into the Cloak of Levitation's container, which then proceeded to save Strange's life as it began deflecting all of the Space Shards that Kaecilius had continued to attack him with. Frustrated by this, Kaecilius threw Strange off the balcony, only for the Cloak to wrap itself around his shoulders and lifted Strange back into the fight, where he created another energy whip and continued fighting against Kaecilius with all of his remaining might.
Strange then used the cloak to fight Kaecilius until he was again overpowered and thrown across the room. While Strange attempted to charge towards his enemy to continue fighting with their abilities, the Cloak of Levitation instead pulled him backward, away from Kaecilius and towards weapons that were on display. However, when Strange attempted to grab these weapons to attack his enemy, the Cloak had instead pulled him away with some aggression, forcing Strange to use the other artifact against Kaecilius and trapped him with the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, finally ending the fight.
- "What do you have to gain out of this New Age dimensional utopia?"
"The same as you. The same as everyone. Life. Eternal life. People think in terms of good and evil, but really, time is the true enemy of us all. Time kills everything."
"What about the people you killed?"
- ―Doctor Strange and Kaecilius
With Kaecilius incapable of defending himself, Strange explained that his name was Doctor Strange, not Mister Doctor. Seeing that Strange was a Doctor, Kaecilius explained how the laws of nature declared that all things but die, but insisted that within the Dark Dimension, this was not the case. Although Strange tried to gag Kaecilius in order to shut him up, he went on to insist that the Earth did not have to die, but could instead join Dormammu and live forever.
As Strange listened, Kaecilius explained the Zealots' plan was to thrust reality with the Dark Dimension, giving themselves and all lives on Earth eternal life. Kaecilius then told Strange that the Ancient One dabbled in magic from the Dark Dimension, which is what gave her long lasting life, noting that Strange himself had not come to Kamar-Taj to fight with the Masters of the Mystic Arts but instead intended to save his hands, something the Ancient One had failed to do.
As Strange began to take note of these warnings about the Ancient One and Dormammu's power, Kaecilius began to laugh. Strange questioned if he found all of this funny before Kaecilius noted that Strange's Sling Ring was missing. Just as Strange turned around to look for the ring, however, Lucian Aster made it back through the Rotunda of Gateways and stabbed him through the chest with a Space Shard, almost killing Strange before throwing him down the stairs.
As he attempted to escape, Strange was followed closely by Aster who smiled as Strange was forced to slowly crawl away from his attacker. Just as Aster attempted to conjure another Space Shard and finish off Strange, the Cloak of Levitation again came to his aid, wrapping itself around Aster's face and keeping him from killing Strange. While this confrontation happened, Strange chose to seek out Christine Palmer at the Metro-General Hospital.
- "Oh, lord, oh, lord. What am I seeing?"
"My astral body."
"Are you dead?"
"No, Christine, but I am dying."
- ―Christine Palmer and Doctor Strange
Strange used his own Sling Ring to transport himself into the Metro-General Hospital to find Christine Palmer and asked her to operate on him alone. Palmer began the surgery and Strange, feeling that his physical body was getting too weak, entered the Astral Dimension and used his astral form to help, shocking Palmer and leaving her bewildered, but Strange insisted they did not have time.
While Palmer attempted to save his life, Strange suddenly noticed that Aster had escaped from the Cloak of Levitation and had used entered his own astral form. Leaving Palmer to continue to keep him alive, Strange entered to Astral Dimension and fought against Aster. As the fought, they disturbed several objects in the physical world in the process while Palmer continued performing the surgery, briefly distracting Nicodemus West while he was buying snacks.
Being the superior fighter, Aster had eventually managed to gain the upper hand and knocked Strange unconscious, which resulted in his physical body's heart-stopping. While Aster attempted to finish him off, Strange's Astral body was filled with energy when Palmer used a defibrillator. Ordering Palmer to do it again, Strange was able to kill Aster after being charged with a defibrillator, causing Aster's astral form to then explode from the sudden burst of energy.
Returning into his body as Palmer finished her work on his wound, Strange explained that he had been to Kamar-Taj to heal his wounds and learned Magic from the Ancient One, which had allowed him to do what he could do now, although Palmer claimed this meant that he had likely joined a cult, which Strange claimed was untrue despite being amused by the idea. Strange apologized to Palmer for what he had said to her before leaving, asking for her forgiveness.
With his wound from the Space Shards mostly dealt with, Strange decided to return to the New York Sanctum and to continue his fight against the Zealots, although Palmer insisted that this was a bad decision. Explaining that he was still fighting against Kaecilius before he could allow Dormammu and the Dark Dimension to take over the world, Strange then showed Palmer the portal he had previously made with his Sling Ring when he had arrived to confirm once and for all that what he had been saying was completely true. While Palmer looked on in amazement, Strange apologized and vanished through the portal to continue his fight against Kaecilius.
Demanding the Truth
Returning to the New York Sanctum, Strange soon found the corpse of Lucian Aster lying on the ground, confirming he had been killed during the Duel on the Astral Plane. Horrified by seeing the body of the man he had killed, Strange walked away from Aster, but not first recollecting the Cloak of Levitation. As Strange walked through the Sanctum, he discovered that Kaecilius had successfully managed to escape the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak while he had been gone.
Strange discovered that Karl Mordo and the Ancient One had also arrived, with Mordo expressing his great surprise that the Cloak of Levitation had chosen him. Upon learning that Daniel Drumm had been killed, the Ancient One congratulated Strange for defending the Sanctum and declared him "Master Strange" as its new protector. Strange refused as he was supposed to save lives, not end them and couldn't bear killing anyone else in the wake of Aster's death.
While the Ancient One accused Strange of returning to his ego and his belief that he could control everything, Strange denied this before making a remark that while he could not control death, perhaps it was Dormammu who could. Strange confronted the Ancient One, noting he had read the rituals in the Book of Cagliostro which had seemed to confirm that she had been secretly over dabbling in the magic of the Dark Dimension to keep herself alive for centuries, all while telling the Masters of the Mystic Arts to do the opposite.
Although Mordo denied this, as he could not believe the Ancient One had been doing something so reckless and lying about it, she did not and returned to Kamar-Taj, leaving Strange and Mordo. Disgusted by Strange's insults, Mordo furiously called him a coward, claiming he had just saved his own life against all the Zealots and still cared for nobody but himself. Strange insisted that they did not have to kill, but Mordo told him that there was no other way to win.
While Strange and Karl Mordo continued to argue about the ethics of killing, they were interrupted by Kaecilius, who had returned to attack the New York Sanctum. While Mordo charged forward to fight him, Strange stopped Kaecilius from destroying the Sanctum, dragging them all into the Mirror Dimension where they could not harm the physical world.
However, Kaecilius remained confident and began manipulating the world around them, causing Strange and Mordo to run outside, with Strange stealing Kaecilius' Sling Ring. Mordo then informed Strange that although Kaecilius could not damage the physical world, his own connection to the Dark Dimension made him more powerful in there and would likely kill them both. Strange and Mordo then ran for their lives, with Kaecilius and the Zealots following closely behind.
Desperate to get free, Strange attempted to create a portal back to the physical world, but Kaecilius then affected the gravity within the Dimension to destroy their portals. Strange and Mordo attempted to run to safety, but Kaecilius gained the upper hand, throwing them off a building before they were saved by the Cloak of Levitation and the Vaulting Boots of Valtorr slowing their fall until Strange confessed to Mordo that he had indeed just made a terrible mistake.
Strange and Mordo had soon become separated by Kaecilius' world-bending powers, causing Strange to desperately escape across New York City in an attempt to get away, with the entire landscape around him changing constantly, with Strange barely making it through with his life. Despite all of his attempts to get away, however, Kaecilius eventually managed to catch up with Strange and violently threw him to the ground, reclaiming his Sling Ring from him. While Strange lay helpless, Kaecilius proceeded to create a new Space Shard which he then prepared to finally kill Strange with and end their conflict.
Just before Kaecilius could deliver the finishing blow and kill Strange, the Ancient One arrived and pulled them apart, revealing to Mordo that her power derives from the Dark Dimension. Strange and Mordo watched the Ancient One battle against all the Zealots until she was fatally stabbed by Kaecilius with a Space Shard. Kaecilius then knocked her through a portal and she fell hundreds of stories down with Strange and Mordo failing to save her from the deadly impact.
Losing the Ancient One
- "Arrogance and fear still keep you from learning the most significant lesson of all."
"It's not about you."
- ―Ancient One to Doctor Strange
In a desperate attempt to save the Ancient One, Strange rushed her to Metro-General Hospital and called upon the help of Christine Palmer to try and save the Ancient One from her life-threatening injuries caused by the stabbing and fall. Unable to perform the surgery due to his shaking hands, Strange handed the scalpel back to Nicodemus West and told him to relieve the pressure from her brain.
As the Ancient One began to go into cardiac arrest, Strange noticed that the Ancient One had entered the Astral Dimension and had left the room. Knowing that leaving her own body now could prove fatal, Strange entered his own astral form and followed the Ancient One as she moved through the hospital, telling her to return as she was dying, however, the Ancient One seemingly refused to listen to him and entered glided onto the balcony to see New York City.
Ignoring Strange's pleas for her to return to her body, the Ancient One told him of how she had peered into her own future and never seen further than this very moment in time, but she had seen infinite possibilities for his future. She told him, like Jonathan Pangborn, he can use his Magic to heal his hands and return to being a surgeon, which would come at a great loss to the Earth, or become a member of the Masters of the Mystic Arts and fight for the earth's survival.
She told him about the Dark Dimension and why she had drawn her power from there, claiming that Strange would agree that sometimes one had to break the rules for the better good, agreeing that Karl Mordo would not likely see it from this point of view. The Ancient One then told Strange that he could only defeat Kaecilius and Dormammu with Mordo's help before she commented on her own desire to see the snow falling just as her Form vanished and she finally died.
Recruiting Karl Mordo
- "You told me once to fight as if my life depended on it, because one day, it might. Well, today is that day. I can not defeat them alone."
- ―Doctor Strange to Karl Mordo
With the death of the Ancient One, Strange chose to give up his old life and become a Master of the Mystic Arts. Strange mourned the Ancient One's death before speaking with Christine Palmer as they both washed their hands. Strange noted that Palmer had told him that losing his hands was not the end for him and there were other ways to save lives.
Telling Palmer that he finally understood what she meant as losing his hands did not have to be the end but could become a new beginning for him. Palmer was then called away for another surgery within Metro-General Hospital as Strange told her that he did not want her to go, so she kissed Strange on the cheek before walking away. Strange then reclaimed the Cloak of Levitation which wiped a tear from his eye, much to Strange's minor annoyance.
Returning into Kamar-Taj which had been left in utter ruins due to the previous attack, Strange found Karl Mordo who was now considering everything he had learned about the Ancient One's lies. Although Strange passed it off as her being complicated, Mordo argued that she was directly responsible for Kaecilius and all the Zealots turning against them. Despite all this, however, Strange convinced Mordo to continue fighting against Dormammu while they still could.
Strange and Karl Mordo headed into Hong Kong only to discover to their horror that the Masters of the Mystic Arts had been defeated by the Zealots and the Hong Kong Sanctum itself had already been destroyed, allowing the Dark Dimension to begin consuming the entire Earth. The devastated Mordo then told Strange that nothing could be done to stop the Zealots from executing their plans.
Unwilling to allow the Zealots to succeed and the Dark Dimension to destroy the Earth, Strange began opening the Eye of Agamotto in a final effort to defeat the Zealots. Seeing this, Kaecilius ran forward as Strange opened the Eye and harnessed its Magic. As Kaecilius reached him and tried to kill Strange with a Space Shard, Strange completed the spell and froze Kaecilius in place. Strange then began breaking the natural laws of time as he reversed what happened, repairing the destroyed buildings all around the currently burning city.
Kaecilius refused to allow this however and broke himself and his Zealots out of the spell, allowing them to remain in the same time span as Strange and Mordo. As they made their way across the city, Strange and Mordo were ambushed, with Mordo being forced to battle the both Brunette and the Blonde Zealot while Strange fought Kaecilius, who desperately attempted to break the new spell while Strange used the changing landscape to his advantage.
As Mordo assisted Strange using the Staff of the Living Tribunal to trap Kaecilius inside of a building as it was being rebuilt, they then discovered the corpse of Wong who had died fighting the Zealots. Strange proceeded to use the Eye of Agamotto's magic to return Wong and many others innocent bystanders from the dead, with Wong, who was still armed with the Wand of Watoomb, shocked by what he was seeing but still choosing not to complain.
As Strange, Mordo, and Wong prepared to run back to the Hong Kong Sanctum to defend it, they were then interrupted mid-spell, resulting in time being frozen around the fighting. Kaecilius returned and declared that Dormammu's arrival could not be stopped and once again mentioned that the Dark Dimension was beyond time. Hearing this, Strange figured out a way to defeat Dormammu and headed to the Dark Dimension where time was irrelevant.
Using the Cloak of Levitation, Strange flew away from the battle and arrived inside the Dark Dimension, where he proceeded to use the Eye of Agamotto to cast another time spell which allowed him to create a time loop. Strange then confronted the monstrous Dormammu declaring that he had come to bargain. However, Dormammu simply ignored Strange's offer and swiftly destroyed him.
Suddenly, Strange appeared again repeating the exact same words as before. Slightly confused but undaunted, Dormammu then killed Strange again, only for him to reappear and repeat his challenge yet again. Perplexed by this, Dormammu demanded to know what was happening. Strange explained that he had used the Eye of Agamotto to create an endless time loop, keeping both him and Dormammu trapped repeating the loop forever until he relented and listened to his bargain. Enraged, Dormammu killed Strange over and over again but was unable to stop the cycle repeating itself endlessly.
Unlike Strange, Dormammu had no power over time since the Dark Dimension was a place beyond time. Trying to convince him to break the loop, Dormammu noted Strange would spend eternity dying in agony, but Strange insisted it was a price worth paying to protect everyone on Earth. Eventually, Dormammu became desperate and surrendered, asking what Strange had wanted. Strange demanded he never returns to Earth and to take the Zealots with him.
He returned to Hong Kong to complete the time spell, coming back moments before he left as the Zealots overlooked their own victory. As Kaecilius looked around at Strange in horror, he demanded to know what he had done, to which Strange announced he had made a bargain which Kaecilius would not like. Strange then watched as Dormammu turned Kaecilius and his Zealots into Mindless Ones and took them all away into his Dimension to suffer for eternity.
As Strange noted that Kaecilius should have read the warnings of the spell, Wong burst out laughing before Strange completed his time spell and returned Hong Kong back to normal. Having witnessed Strange and the Ancient One's liberal use of Magic to break their own rules, Karl Mordo told Strange that he had made his choice and left the Masters of the Mystic Arts, having become disillusioned by their questionable and dangerous use of their own magic.
Guarding the Sanctum
Realizing he was not yet worthy of wielding the Eye of Agamotto due to his potential to change the fabric of both reality and time, Strange decided it would be best to return the relic inside Kamar-Taj. Joining Strange there, Wong agreed with his choice, claiming to overuse an Infinity Stone was dangerous. Strange made it clear he did not know about the Stones; a fact that did not surprise Wong.
Wong had gone on to note that the New York Sanctum needed a new protector due to Daniel Drumm being murdered by Kaecilius. Strange accepted the offer and placed the Cloak of Levitation back over his own shoulders before following Wong through a portal towards the Sanctum. Once there, Strange put on the watch Christine Palmer had given him and then looked out the window. Immediately following his duel with Dormammu, Strange created a list of extraterrestrial and inter-dimensional beings who posed a threat to the people of Earth, such as Loki. During this time, Strange also learned that Odin, the former king of Asgard, was on Earth and made contact with him, with Odin opting to stay on Earth, instead of returning to Asgard.
Learning of Infinity Stones
A few months into his time as the New York Sanctum's guardian, Strange had a conversation with Wong regarding the Infinity Stones and their history across the Nine Realms. Wong also explained that his reason for telling him this was that Thor had seemingly returned back to Earth and brought Loki with him for unknown reasons which could pose a potential threat to the planet.
Considering the threat that Loki had posed to the Earth when he had used the Tesseract and caused the Battle of New York, Strange sent Loki through a portal when he arrived in New York City and decided to bring Thor into the Sanctum, leaving his business card behind for Thor to find. Upon reaching the Sanctum, Thor, bemused to find Earth had mystical protectors, inadvertently also knocked several ancient artifacts over while he had been exploring the Sanctum.
Strange sat down across from Thor, at first offering him a cup of tea which he changed to an ale upon Thor's request. Strange went on to explain that since becoming one of the Masters of the Mystic Arts he had begun to keep a watchlist of many of the dangerous individuals from the Multiverse, noting that Loki was on that list, which Thor had noted was a worthy inclusion. Strange questioned why Thor had decided to bring Loki back to Earth considering the risk.
Thor explained that he and Loki had been looking for Odin who had vanished ever since Loki had taken his place during their conflict with the Dark Elves' leader, Malekith. Strange then offered his help on the condition that they would then return straight to Asgard as soon as the mission had been completed, which Thor agreed to. Strange noted he had been unable to contact Thor and explained that Odin had requested that he remain in exile without being found.
Strange explained that Odin was currently still hiding out in his exile within Norway as Strange used his powers to teleport himself and Thor around the New York Sanctum while he confirmed that he did not have to modify his Magic in order for it to work for Asgardians, with Thor getting also increasingly annoyed about being teleported around the building so much and spilling his ale as a result.
Strange then requested a strand of Thor's hair, ignoring his protests and taking it regardless before using it to create the portal to Norway. Before he left, Strange reminded Thor to collect Mjølnir, which had been disguised as an umbrella while he was on Earth, with the pair overhearing the umbrella smashing through several items upstairs before it returned to Thor's hand, which Thor apologized for. Just as he prepared to leave, Thor then requested Loki's return.
Once Strange released Loki, he attempted to attack Strange in his fury for allowing him to fall through the portal for thirty minutes, but Strange decided he was done with the Asgardians, unceremoniously throwing Thor and Loki into the portal to Odin's location. Strange then went back to his previous conversation with Wong in order to learn about the final Infinity Stone; the Soul Stone, which Wong had revealed had the potential to be the most dangerous of all.
Learning of Thanos
- "Tony Stark, I'm Doctor Stephen Strange. I need you to come with me. Oh, congratulations on the wedding by the way."
"I'm sorry, you giving out tickets or something?"
"We need your help. Look, it's not overselling to say that the fate of the universe is at stake."
- ―Doctor Strange and Tony Stark
During the day at the New York Sanctum, Strange was set to head out of the deli-grocery store for food and asked for Wong about what he would like to eat to whom he asked to pay. However, Wong then revealed that he did not have any actual American money, annoying Strange, who told him he'd buy a tuna sandwich instead.
At that moment, Bruce Banner crashed inside the place, having been brought there by Heimdall's bridge. Strange then formed up with his sorcerer getup only to figure out it was Banner, telling him that Thanos was coming, much to Strange curiosity. At Banner's urging, he and Strange would go and find Tony Stark who was with Pepper Potts at Central Park, telling him to come with the group and congratulate them on their proposal.
Once Tony Stark arrived with Strange to the New York Sanctum, Wong would show Stark about the Infinity Stones, where they came from and how many are there are. As he named them all one by one, Strange would reveal the Time Stone from the Eye of Agamotto. Once Stark asked about Thanos, Strange told him if he gets all six stones he will destroy half of all life that is hitherto undreamed of.Having to understand that the universe was at stake, Strange listened to Stark about his use of language, to which he grew irritated with Stark from touching the Cauldron of the Cosmos and letting the Cloak of Levitation hit his hand. As Stark collects himself, the group realized that Vision, who had the Mind Stone embedded in his head, would be another target. Banner would tell Stark to call Steve Rogers for help before he would they were interrupted by the sound of agitation in the streets and debris flying through the air. Leaving the Sanctum to investigate, the four found people fleeing and screaming in panic, as a Q-Ship sent by Thanos had arrived, devastating the surrounding city with powerful winds.
Strange and the group would confront the ship, casting a spell that neutralizes the powerful winds created by the Q-Ship. Once the craft drew out the Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian who descended from the Ship in a tractor beam, Maw demanded the Time Stone which was kept in the Eye of Agamotto, only to be rudely rebuffed and commanded to leave by both Strange and Stark. Frustrated, Maw commanded Obsidian to attack and retrieve the Stone. While Banner unsuccessfully attempted to release Hulk and Stark donning his Mark L armor and blasted Obsidian away.
Using his Sling Ring to send Banner to safety, Strange was then told by Iron Man to flee with the Time Stone but he refused. Strange and Wong managed to redirect the attack with their Sling Rings, injuring Maw. Infuriated, Maw incapacitated Wong by bursting a nearby fire hydrant. Strange attempted to restrain Maw with an Eldritch Whip, only for the latter to tackle Strange, telekinetically trapping him in the side of a nearby building.
Strange would get sealed by bricks from Maw which he attempted to remove the Time Stone. Breaking free, Strange attempted to use the Stone against Maw but was quickly restrained again by cables. Before Maw could kill Strange, he warned that his death would not remove the seal, causing Maw to choke him unconscious instead, choosing to bring him back to the Q-Ship alive. However, the Cloak of Levitation managed to escape the restraints with the unconscious Strange, with an enraged Maw in hot pursuit.
Strange would past by in the park, where Iron Man tasked Spider-Man with rescuing the unconscious Strange as he held off Obsidian. Maw noticed Spider-Man was chasing him all and tried to get away. Despite Maw's efforts, Spider-Man managed to grab Strange, only for the both of them, as well as the Cloak, to be caught in the Q-ship's tractor beam. Maw boarded the Q-Ship with Strange and held him off captive until he gave up the stone.
Tortured by Ebony Maw
Awakening, Strange found himself in the captivity of Ebony Maw, aboard a Q-Ship bound to rendezvous with Thanos on Titan, while telekinetically immobilized and surrounded by hundreds of alien microsurgery needles. Noticing that Strange is awake, Maw approached him, preparing to begin the torture.
As the horrendous torture began, Strange was informed by Maw that he would be judged harshly by Thanos for bringing him alive, and so requires Strange to remove the magical seal protecting the Time Stone in the Eye of Agamotto, to allow Maw to retrieve it. With this remark, Maw began to telekinetically stab the microsurgery needles one by one into Strange's body, each inducing terrible pain while commanding that Strange release the Stone, to no avail.
Strange would continue to get tortured by Maw, who, while under immense pain and duress, remained unyielding to Maw's demands. Before Maw could continue, he was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Iron Man. Maw threatened to kill Strange, but Iron Man fired a missile into the wall of the Q-Ship. The hull was breached, instantly sucking Maw into the vacuum of space. Strange was inadvertently caught in the vacuum, and the Cloak of Levitation attempted to rescue him.
Leaping in, Spider-Man managed to grab Strange. Stark noted that the Ship was on an automated course bound for an unknown location. Strange insisted that Stark commandeer the Ship to return them and the Time Stone to Earth, although Stark was reluctant. Instead, he suggested continuing on their current course to Thanos, proposing they ambush him on his territory, where he would not be expecting an attack, and to keep his attention away from Earth.
Although initially at odds, Strange reluctantly agreed with Stark's plan, after he told of his history over the years about Thanos' manipulative discourse. After agreeing, Strange reminded Stark that he would prioritize saving the Time Stone over either Stark or Parker's lives, asserting he would easily let either of them die if it means keeping the Stone from Thanos' hands.
Encountering the Guardians
- "I went forward in time, to view alternate futures, to see all the possible outcomes of the coming conflict."
"How many did you see?"
"Fourteen million, six hundred five."
- ―Doctor Strange and Star-Lord
Crashing on Titan, Strange, Iron Man and Spider-Man almost immediately battled Drax, Peter Quill, and Mantis, believing them to be Thanos' soldiers. However, after a tense standoff, both parties realized they shared the same goal, before deciding to work together to ambush Thanos, who they expected to be arriving soon.
Awaiting for Thanos' arrival, Iron Man, Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy attempted to formulate a plan of attack, while Strange activated the Time Stone to view all possible outcomes and futures of the coming battle. While examining all timelines, Strange contemplated cutting off Thanos' hand with his Sling Ring, but desisted upon realizing that the Titan's skin was almost impenetrable and that if he failed to cut it on time, Thanos would still be able to snap his fingers and accomplish his goal. Out of the 14,000,605 possible timelines he viewed, Strange eventually saw that the singular way to victory involved Thanos obtaining all six Stones and achieving his goal of culling the universe, with him among the casualties, but that, in 2023, with the help of Ant-Man, Stark and the Avengers would perform a Time Heist that would allow them to create their own Infinity Gauntlet and have Banner successfully undo Thanos's culling. Despite seeing that an alternate timeline version of Thanos would try to reenact his culling again, Strange also saw that the Avengers would stop him, but only with the sacrifice of Tony Stark. After he returned back to reality. Strange gravely informed the others that only one timeline ended in Thanos' defeat, but did not inform them of the details.
- "Congratulations, you're a prophet."
"I'm a survivor."
"Who wants to murder trillions."
- ―Doctor Strange and Thanos
Sitting down on a faraway hill alone, Strange carried the Eye of Agamotto, seeing Thanos and brought him face-to-face with a Master of the Mystic Arts. Thanos ignored the threat, simply asking Strange where he believed Maw had brought him. Strange guessed that Titan was his former home. Nodding wistfully in affirmation to Strange, Thanos stopped and began to reminisce. Thanos would use the Reality Stone to craft an illusion of Titan's former beauty to Strange.
Strange hailed Thanos as a prophet, but Thanos retorted, claiming himself to be a survivor. Strange continued to condemn the Titan's motivations as for mass murdering trillions. Thanos explained to Strange that with all six Infinity Stones, a single snap of his finger would only cause a merciful cessation of half of the universe's existence. Strange stood and questioned Thanos about once he achieved his goal. Thanos desired to simply rest while watching the sunrise on a grateful Universe.
Threatening Thanos, Strange entered a combat stance, warning Thanos that their wills would be equal to his. Realizing that Strange wasn't alone, Thanos was temporarily ambushed only to began attacking. Strange would conjure a sword from Eldritch Magic, Strange engaged the half-blinded Thanos in brief close combat alongside Drax. However, Thanos would kick Strange in which he blocked it with a Tao Mandala.
Strange would conjured platforms of energy for Star-Lord to jump and conjured a portal for Star-Lord to escape. Strange would tell the Cloak of Levitation to not allow Thanos to close his fist, The Cloak would wrap around the Infinity Gauntlet and preventing Thanos from activating it. Using his Sling Ring, Strange summoned Spider-Man to attack Thanos, leaping through conjured portals to repeatedly attack Thanos from all sides and preventing him from removing the Cloak.
However, once Thanos managed to grab Spider-Man, he would throw him towards Strange, knocking them both to the ground. Recovered from his harmful attack, Strange quickly cast a binding spell on Thanos, restraining the Gauntlet with crimson bands of energy. Until Iron Man swooped in, taking Strange's place to hold the Gauntlet. Strange used his Sling Ring to open a portal and drop Mantis on Thanos' head, before casting the Bands to restrain his right arm.
Showdown with Thanos
Following the failed attempted of getting the Infinity Gauntlet off, Strange personally confronted Thanos in a ferocious duel, with Strange launching the first strike, casting the bolts of energy at Thanos. Leaping into the air, Thanos retaliated with a blast of energy from the Power Stone. Strange countered with an open gateway to the Mirror Dimension to absorb the beam, before pushing it toward Thanos to trap him. Thanos destroyed the gateway with the Power Stone, before throwing the remnants back at Strange in the form of a black hole with the Space Stone. Thinking quickly, Strange cast a spell to transmute the singularity into a swarm of blue butterflies, briefly confusing Thanos.
Raising into the air with the Cloak of Levitation, Strange then cast his duplication spell, splitting into an army of magical clones of himself to restrain Thanos with hundreds of Eldritch Whips. However, Thanos immediately regained the upper hand, activating the Soul and Power Stones to instantly destroy the false Images and briefly sunder Strange's astral form from his body. With his opponent staggered, Thanos activated the Space and Reality Stones, pulling Strange to his hand before he could react, winning the duel.
Once he was subdued, Strange was within Thanos' grasp and tried to pull himself away. Admitting that while he was impressed by Strange's mastery over Magic, Thanos deduced that, as the sorcerer had never once attempted to use the Time Stone to his advantage, Strange had hidden the Stone, using the Eye of Agamotto as a decoy. Confirming his suspicions, Thanos took and crushed the Eye of Agamotto, revealing it to be empty, before throwing Strange away.
- "Tony. There was no other way."
- ―Doctor Strange to Tony Stark
Before Thanos could kill Iron Man, Strange intervened and offered the Time Stone in exchange for Stark's life, since his future vision revealed to him that Stark needed to live to convert Hank Pym's Quantum Tunnel into a time machine for the Time Heist and sacrifice himself at the Battle of Earth to defeat Thanos. Thanos agreed after warning Strange not to double-cross him. Despite Stark's pleas to not give in, Strange revealed the Time Stone, having disguised it as a star in Titan's sky, and surrendered it to Thanos. After the battle, Stark would ask Strange would give up the Stone. Strange could only inform Stark that they were now in the "endgame".
When Thanos collected the last remaining stone, the Mind Stone, from Vision in Wakanda, he snapped his fingers, removing half of sapient life in the universe from existence. Strange began to fade away, but as he was disintegrating to dust, Tony Stark had asked him why he had handed over the Time Stone. With his last few seconds, Strange replied that there was no other way, before turning to ash.
- "Hey, you said one out of fourteen million, we win. Tell me this is it."
"If I tell you what happens, it won't happen."
"You better be right."
- ―Iron Man and Doctor Strange
Five years later, Strange was resurrected following the Blip enacted by Bruce Banner. Knowing what had transpired during the five years due to looking into the future with the Eye of Agamotto prior to the Battle of Titan, Strange enlisted the assistance of Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy, before recruiting the Masters of the Mystic Arts to find every hero who was resurrected in order for them assist the surviving Avengers in the fight against Thanos. He inquired with Wong if they were able to summon everyone, to which Wong exasperatedly asked Strange if he wanted more.
During the battle, he was approached by Iron Man, who questioned if they would win the battle, which Strange did not confirm in fear of changing the outcome. When Thanos' airstrike destroyed the foundations of the nearby lake, Strange stepped up to hold back the water from reaching the battlefield. In the climax of the battle, Strange, visibly shocked, signalled to Iron Man that this was the one timeline he foresaw where they won and nudged him to act, which ultimately led to Stark sacrificing himself by stealing away the Infinity Stones and using them to wipe out all of Thanos' remaining forces, including the alien warlord himself, proving right Strange's visions.
In the aftermath of the battle, Strange was last seen attending the funeral of Stark, alongside Wong. One year later, when the threat of the Elementals started, "Nick Fury" tried to contact him, but Strange was unavailable, forcing him to recruit Spider-Man instead.
Prior to his accident, Strange had a massive ego that fueled his career. Strange only took on patients that he believed would help benefit his status, even refusing to heal a US Army Colonel's back, albeit it was because this injury was a simple one any neurosurgeon can fix. His work was also driven by a desire to control death and time, which led him to refuse even looking into any patient he perceived to have little chance of recovery so as to not ruin his track record. However, if he also perceived the chance a patient could survive, he would help them recover even if it would not benefit his public image, showing that at his core, he does care about saving people. In addition, he seems to prioritize his research over his physician work as he stated his work would save thousands for years to come whereas a physician will only save a handful of patients they directly interact with. This, however, changed after his accident, which left Strange a broken man and constantly frustrated due to being incapable of returning to the life he knew, even blaming Christine Palmer, Nicodemus West and other doctors for ruining his life, not accepting the fact that the accident was because of his carelessness and lack of regard for his safety. Upon visiting Kamar-Taj, Strange initially maintained his narrow-minded arrogance and stubbornly refused to believe that the Ancient One was telling the truth until she forcibly demonstrated astral projection and sent him across multiple dimensions to prove her point.
Strange has shown extreme determination and stubbornness, a useful trait in a doctor as he would never give up on his patients even when one was called dead with a bullet in his brain, Strange was able to determine the patient was still alive to successfully save him. He spent most of his remaining money in seven different surgeries to attempt to heal his hands to the point of near bankruptcy, remained outside of Kamar-Taj's front door for five hours after being initially thrown out, then spent most of his time at Kamar-Taj studying and improving his abilities, even going as far as studying while sleeping through Astral projection. He even allowed himself to be violently killed by countless times by Dormammu until Dormammu gave in to his demands and later giving up the Time Stone to Thanos in exchange for saving Stark’s life when he was about to be killed by the Mad Titan despite initially wanting to save the Time Stone first. All of this at the cost of his own life, this made him one of the few people to have earned Stark’s respect.
Through his training with the Ancient One, Strange gained a newfound appreciation for the natural order of things due to his studies of the Mystic Arts and became more humble. However, this was not to say he was a completely changed man; he retained a cocky attitude when dealing with people and things, as seen in how he behaved when he went to borrow books from Wong. This, coupled with his inquisitiveness and willingness to break rules, made him an odd one in Kamar-Taj and constantly an eyesore to many of his peers. However, due to this nature of his, he was also more willing to compromise and be somewhat flexible with his principles, quickly accepting that the Ancient One broke her own rules to do what was deemed necessary to protect the world, and he had to be willing to do so himself, which, when combined with his natural talent in the Mystic Arts, had the Ancient One name him as the new Master of the New York Sanctum, despite his relative lack of training and inexperience.
Having trained as a doctor, Strange is a pacifist and tries to avoid hurting people, as it goes against the Hippocratic oath. He was disgusted by his actions in killing Lucian Aster, stating he became a doctor to save lives, not take them. However, neither the Ancient One nor Karl Mordo was especially sympathetic towards this, with the former stating it was his towering ego and delusion that he could control death itself that made him become a doctor and the latter simply calling him a coward for not having the spine to do what has to be done. Nevertheless, Strange claimed that there were other ways to defeat their enemies, a claim he ultimately proved correct by defeating both Kaecilius and Dormammu without killing either of them.
Despite coming off as arrogant and genuinely selfish, Strange has, ultimately, has always had good intentions. After his talk with Kaecilius, Strange began to see his own failings reflected in Kaecilius and started showing signs of self-improvement. He repeatedly and genuinely apologized for his past treatment of Christine Palmer and showed a newfound trust in former rival Nicodemus West. During his talk with the Ancient One before her death, he admitted that his fear of failure is what pushed him to be a successful neurosurgeon. However, the Ancient One stated that his fear is exactly what kept him from greatness, as well as learning the simplest and most important lesson of all; it's not about him. Strange took this very much to heart, and when he faced Dormammu, he showed strong selflessness, allowing himself to be killed over and over in order to keep Dormammu trapped in the time loop so mankind could live and came to stop fearing failure.
Despite his tremendous maturity, Strange maintains some of his old habits such as making sarcastic comments and jokes when talking to others, similar to Tony Stark and Peter Quill. Whilst he compensates his lack of experience by further using the powerful magical relics at his disposal and his intelligence allows him to imagine unorthodox solutions to problems, Strange has also learnt to comprehend his limits and despite his success at the hands of Dormammu's defeat, he has begun to realize the natural order should not be entirely disturbed, the same reason why Mordo left the Mystic Arts and vows to never use the Eye of Agamotto until he is fully prepared. This was his second greatest lesson to learn - that time is beyond even his control. He also retains his meticulous and diligence by forming a watchlist of individuals that might pose a threat to Earth. However, his flexibility is his greatest strength in this regard as, even though he wants to be rid of these individuals, he was willing to help Thor locate Odin so he and Loki would return to Asgard. During Thor's visit, Strange was visibly annoyed and wary of the Asgardians but remained polite towards Thor.
Strange's imagination and intellect have given him a vastly flexible personality, so much so the Ancient One could never see exactly what his future would be, only possible paths he would take. Due to his inquisitiveness, Strange is easily able to adapt and teach himself light years ahead of even experienced sorcerers like Mordo and Kaecilius. Once he started to get the hang of his sorcery studies, he began to teach himself and was able to learn at an accelerated rate.
Strange is noted to have a severe case of misophonia, meaning he is greatly distracted by even the slightest sound when he requires absolute focus. This was shown when he was operating on a patient and asked Nicodemus West to cover his watch as the ticking was distracting him. After his car crash, Strange's hands suffered from constant shaking though unlike Pangborn he refused to direct magic into his body to heal this, presumably to be reminded of his mistakes in the past.
Powers and Abilities
- "You think you're some kind of sorcerer?"
Master Sorcerer: As the guardian of the New York Sanctum, Strange is one of the most powerful members of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, possessing an extremely high level of mastery over magic which he used to defend his native reality. Indeed, despite his inexperience, an impressed Karl Mordo and Wong claimed that Strange's prodigious skills meant that he was "born for the mystic arts," and the Ancient One herself noted that Strange has tremendous potential as a sorcerer. Indeed, even while still inexperienced, Strange was able to use the powers of the Time Stone's container, the Eye of Agamotto, quite effectively and safely, despite it being considered to be very dangerous for the natural order. With the help of numerous mystical artifacts and relics, in addition to his astral powers, Strange is able to gain access to a multitude of mystical powers. Strange makes up for his lack of experience with his gifted intellect, photographic memory, and ingenuity, as he swiftly imprisoned Loki, an extremely skilled master of Asgardian Sorcery, and even defeated Kaecilius by outsmarting Dormammu, forcing the latter to leave Earth's dimension and take Kaecilius with him. Strange was predicted by Zola's algorithm to become a significant enough potential threat to HYDRA to be targeted by Project Insight. Strange would eventually dramatically improve his power and skill in magic as he received more training and gained more experience, as, by the time of the Infinity War, he proved capable of single-handedly combating Thanos's use of the Infinity Gauntlet more effectively than the Guardians of the Galaxy and even Iron Man, with even the Titan himself praising Strange for his use of the Mystic Arts. The Ancient One stated long before Doctor Strange became a Master of the Mystic Arts that he was always meant to be the best of them.
- "Your powers are quaint. You must be popular with children."
- ―Ebony Maw to Doctor Strange
- Eldritch Magic Manipulation: Strange is able to shape and manipulate Eldritch Magic, forming tangible constructs of energy such as weapons or shields, as well as cast spells by writing specific formations with the fiery energy. Strange had demonstrated the ability to form his Eldritch Whips and Tao Mandalas and could scan a piece of Thor's hair with the energy and briefly conjure Odin's symbol to aid in forming a portal that would take him to Odin. He also could project a barrier around himself and others to shield them from the impact of Ebony Maw's Q-Ship crashing on Titan. During the Battle of Titan, Strange demonstrated being able to conjure platforms for his allies to walk upon, as shown when Star-Lord jumped across them to attack Thanos. Additionally, he was able to generate powerful bolts of fiery energy that ricocheted off several floating boulders to attack Thanos, as well as craft a sword that he used to engage the Titan alongside Drax.
- Transmutation: During his meeting with Thor, Strange was able to turn a cup of tea into a large mug of beer that was also able to magically refill itself, much to Thor's pleasant surprise. After Bruce Banner crashed through the roof of the Sanctum, Strange was able to transform the normal street clothes he was wearing into his blue robes. During the Battle of Titan, Strange transformed a singularity sent by Thanos into multitudes of blue butterflies, impressing the Mad Titan.
- Atmospheric Spell: Strange was able to conjure a wave of golden light that cleared the street of smoke and debris after Ebony Maw's Q-Ship landed in Greenwich Village, while also stopping the destructive windstorm the ship was causing. The smoke was expelled from the street and towards the sky.
- Protection Spell: To protect the Eye of Agamotto from being stolen by Ebony Maw, Strange cast a protection spell upon the relic that burned anyone that attempts to take it, making it seemingly impossible to remove it unless the spell was removed, even if he were killed.
- Binding Spell: During the Battle of Titan, Strange conjured dark red metallic bands to restrain Thanos's hand so he couldn't use the power of the Infinity Gauntlet. The bands were much stronger than the usual Eldritch Whip he uses to restrain enemies, notably able to restrict Thanos' use of the Gauntlet for a considerable period of time, although Thanos was able to eventually break out and redirect the force of the bands to knock Strange away.
- Earth Swallowing Spell: During the Battle of Earth, Strange opened up numerous chasms in the earth, producing glowing purple tendrils of energy that forcefully lifted up Thanos' soldiers and dragged them into the ground before resealing themselves and vanishing.
- Water Spell: Strange cast a spell that held back the lake outside the Avengers Facility from rushing into the battlefield after its foundations were breached, gathering the water into a funnel and pushing it away.
- Flight: Using the Cloak of Levitation, Strange is able to levitate, hover, and fly. The Cloak can greatly lessen the impact of falling from great heights by effortlessly reducing his speed.
- Dimensional Warping: Strange was capable of conjuring a construct of the Mirror Dimension in the form of crystalline fractals that acted as a shield, absorbing an energy beam from the Power Stone, and was also able to send the fractals at Thanos.
- Teleportation: Using a Sling Ring, Strange is able to open portals that lead to different locations, gaining the ability to both move across the material world and to other parts of the Multiverse. Strange can also teleport others at great speeds, with him notably causing a portal to move and engulf Thor and Loki, sending them to Odin's location, as well as rapidly open portals for Star-Lord and Spider-Man during their fight with Thanos. In addition, he can make portals small enough to reach through and grab things, such as several books from Wong's library or to exchange one object for other, as the portal he used to abduct Loki left a card bearing the address to the New York Sanctum in his place. Aside from this, he became able to seamlessly cause himself and Thor to abruptly and rapidly appear in different parts of his Sanctum without either of them physically moving (at one point causing an entire bookshelf Thor was leaning against to be transported with them before sending it back) which caused Thor to become disoriented. Strange is also able to conjure portals cooperatively, as, during Ebony Maw's attempt to retrieve the Time Stone, he and Wong conjured separate portals to redirect several brick daggers back to Maw.
- Interdimensional Travel: Using the same Sling Ring, Strange can travel between different dimensions of the Multiverse, crossing over different planes of existence or traveling across various forms of reality. However, Strange was notably able to access the Mirror Dimension and transport himself and the Zealots there without the Sling Ring. Furthermore, Strange can forcibly transport others to another dimension, and later retrieve them, as he did when temporarily imprisoning Loki in a dimension where he was constantly falling, leaving him there for thirty minutes until Thor asked for his release. When the Black Order arrived to retrieve the Time Stone, Strange and Wong were able to send an attack by Ebony Maw back by opening portals to a void-like dimension. After the Snap was reversed, he and Wong opened up multiple portals at the Avengers Facility in order to summon their allies from across the multiverse to fight Thanos' army.
- Astral Projection: Strange is capable of separating his astral form from his body, gaining access to the Astral Dimension. He notably was able to assist Christine Palmer in operating on his physical body, demonstrating being able to make himself visible to her at will, using the use of the Mirror Dimension as a medium. Strange's Astral body could also make physical body glow from the inside out by putting his hand through it and touching it, which he used to allow Christine to better see his wound when she operated on him. As the Ancient One was dying, Strange was able to use his astral form to communicate with her spirit before her clinical death. Notably, Strange found that as Palmer defibrillated his real body, his astral form would send out a blast of energy, which he used offensively while grappling with Lucian Aster's astral form, ultimately destroying it and killing him.
- Conjuration: Strange was able to make an umbrella stand appear in front of Thor for him to put down Mjølnir, which had been disguised as an umbrella. He also was able to hide the Time Stone after secretly removing it from the Eye of Agamotto and later made it appear between his fingers, allowing it to float over to Thanos.
- Duplication Spell: During the Battle of Titan, Strange was able to create dozens of copies of himself to attack Thanos with their Eldritch Whips. The duplicates, however, were quickly dispersed when Thanos released a wave of energy from the Power Stone, with only the real Strange remaining.
- Time Manipulation: Using the Eye of Agamotto, Strange could control the flow of time or be it on a small or massive scale, notably to turn back something to a previous state, accelerating its time in order to apply changes that have not happened yet, or to lock in a time loop, with time resetting over and over until he stops its effect. Despite having safely and effectively handled the Time Stone's powers, Strange still concluded that he was not ready to use it liberally yet and decided to return it until he was ready to use it again. By the time of the Infinity War, it seems that Strange has mastered the Time Stone's powers, as he was confident he can use it safely in battle. Apparently seeing that the only future that led to victory involved the Snap taking place first as well as Iron Man's survival, Strange willingly surrendered the Time Stone to Thanos in exchange for sparring Iron Man's life, losing the ability to use it.
- Event Recreation: He first tested the ability on an apple, rewinding time on it to make it whole and then forwarding time to make it rot, despite not actually eating it to that point beforehand. If interrupted while using this ability, time freezes until he resumes the spell. He even used it to make a reconstruction of the stolen pages of the Book of Cagliostro and read from it, though he seemed to be unable to make the page real and only could reveal what had been there before.
- Time-Loop Creation: He notably used this ability to trap even Dormammu himself in the same moment, which would reset each time he killed Strange, keeping Dormammu from leaving his dimension to invade Earth until he agreed to leave Earth for good.
- Parachronal Cognition: He was able to use the Eye of Agamotto to peer into various futures just like the Ancient One did, so as to gain insight into all the results of the upcoming conflict against Thanos and his ferocious crusade. Strange saw that there was only one future where he and his allies won while over 14 million more was that they lost against Thanos.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Strange achieved his MD and Ph.D. simultaneously at medical school, going on to become one of the world's most renowned neurosurgeons, and later proving himself equally prodigious in the study of mystic arts.
- "No one could have done better."
"I could have done better."
- ―Christine Palmer and Doctor Strange
- Master Physician: Strange was one of the world's most renowned neurosurgeons. His genius surgical skill allowed him to flawlessly perform extremely complicated surgeries with little to no mechanical assistance. Indeed, Strange's skills were superior to those of his colleagues Christine Palmer and Nicodemus West, as he was able to notice a cause of injury in a patient while neither of them could, thus preventing West from killing the patient. Strange's perfect record and reputation with the craft reached such a point that ultimately, he developed a penchant for undertaking only the most challenging but still viable of operations, in order to boost his huge ego. Despite losing the ability to perform surgeries after his hands were damaged beyond repair in a catastrophic car accident, Strange still kept his profound medical knowledge, which allowed him to give out directions to Palmer and West during surgery on the Ancient One. During his surgical career, Strange was able to develop entirely new techniques for performing highly complicated surgical procedures that he claimed would significantly advance medical practices for years to come. Strange was even able to perform surgery during the extremely stressful Battle of New York.
- "I've got a photographic memory. It's how I got my M.D. and Ph.D. at the same time."
- ―Doctor Strange
- Eidetic Memory: Strange's photographic memory and perfect recall had originally greatly aided him in medical school, helping him to earn both his MD and Ph.D. simultaneously. During his mystic arts studies in Kamar-Taj, Strange managed to master entering the Astral Dimension, despite Wong not believing him to be ready. When Strange used the Eye of Agamotto to restore the missing pages from the Book of Cagliostro, he only saw the page for about 15 seconds, but was able to learn about Dormammu, the Dark Dimension, and the ritual for eternal life as well as work out the ritual and deduce how the Ancient One has remained alive for so long.
- Expert Tactician: Strange's tremendous intellect contributes to his already incredible tactical insight. A highly ingenious strategist, Strange relied on pure wits to stop both Kaecilius and Dormammu himself due to his lack of experience in fighting supernatural forces. He used the Eye of Agamotto to trap the primordial entity in an endless time loop while using tactics of psychological warfare to mentally torment Dormammu instead of stopping him with magic and, as a result, ultimately succeeded in forcing his foe back into the Dark Dimension, taking the Zealots along with him.
- Expert Martial Artist: Although his training with the Ancient One and Karl Mordo was only for days, Strange became quite proficient in martial arts, both armed and hand-to-hand combat, with his skill being great enough to allow him to fight off and evade many of the far more experienced and extensively trained Zealots sorcerers attacks while trying to escape the New York Sanctum, overpower and kill Lucian Aster, and even managing to hold his own against Kaecilius himself reasonably well, with Strange notably managing to fight Kaecilius almost to a standstill in their last altercation by using the reconstructing landscape of Hong Kong to his advantage, although he was ultimately overpowered and only defeated Kaecilius by outsmarting him rather than defeating him in pure skill. Eventually, as he further practiced and trained, by the time of the Infinity War, Strange's skill and experience in fighting had improved significantly to the point that with help from Drax, Strange was even able to fight against Thanos himself in close-quarters combat, lasting longer than Drax, although Thanos only had the use of one eye due to the other being blinded by a webbed cotton and is quick to overwhelm Strange soon after beating back Drax. However, Strange's hands still suffer from severe nerve and bone damage as a result of his accident, further exacerbated by the unsuccessful surgeries made towards restoring his dexterity, meaning his hands are delicate and prone to intense pain should he attempt to directly strike something or someone, thus leading his technique to consist mainly of a combination of parries and the use of his Eldritch whips.
- Expert Swordsman: Strange displayed considerable skill in swordsmanship, as he chose to craft a sword with Eldritch Magic to use as a melee weapon to combat Thanos and alongside Drax using his knives, proved able to fight against the Titan, fending off Thanos longer than Drax.
- Bilingualism: Strange is fluent in his native English, and becomes proficient enough with Sanskrit during his months in Kamar-Taj to enable him to study advanced books Wong deemed him not ready for, including the Book of Cagliostro.
- Cloak of Levitation: A mantle that enables Doctor Strange to levitate and hover in the air. It appears to be sentient and can move on its own power, causing it to move and flap in the air without the presence of wind. Offensively, the cloak's ability to move and fly with or without a wearer allows it to grab, lift, tackle or send enemies flying through the air. The cloak assists Strange in combat by protecting him from attacks, preventing his enemies like Lucian Aster and Thanos from blindsiding him, as well as attacking enemies on its own whenever possible, and doing maneuvers that are difficult for most humans to do.
- Sling Ring: A mystical object which enables the wearer to open a portal to another location.
- Eye of Agamotto: An ancient relic with a number of mystical properties, especially time manipulation in the user's immediate vicinity and on specific areas or targets. It is able to do so since it contains the Time Stone, which the eye would only release upon Strange using a specific spell. The eye is eventually destroyed by Thanos when he attempted to take the Time Stone from Strange.
- Time Stone: Upon taking the role of one of the Masters of the Mystic Arts, Strange was vowed to protect one of the Infinity Stones housed within the Eye of Agamotto. Initially unaware of its true power, Strange experimented with the Stone to rot and grow back an apple, before using it to undo Kaecilius' attempt to destroy Hong Kong before trapping Dormammu into a time loop which he was unable to escape from. As Strange prepared to battle Thanos, he used the Stone to see into the future in an attempt to find any possible way they could be victorious in their clash against the Mad Titan. Strange was later forced to give Thanos the Time Stone to save Tony Stark.
- "You don't know how to use that, do you?"
- ―Kaecilius to Doctor Strange
- Brazier of Bom'Galiath: During his battle with Kaecilius in the New York Sanctum, Strange found himself overpowered and grabbed the first weapon he could find which was the Brazier of Bom'Galiath, only for Kaecilius to call him out on his lack of knowledge about it, resulting in Strange simply throwing it.
- Rotunda of Gateways: During his fight with Kaecilius and his zealots in the New York Sanctum, Strange used the Rotunda of Gateways he had found earlier, to trap one of the Zealots in the desert and the other, Lucian Aster, in the jungle, leaving only himself and Kaecilius to continue fighting throughout the Sanctum.
- Crimson Bands of Cyttorak: While fighting Kaecilius, Strange was advised by the Cloak of Levitation to use a suit of armor attached to the wall. Although initially skeptical that they would have any benefit, Strange relented and threw the armor at Kaecilius, who became entrapped in the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, ending their fight although Kaecilius was later able to escape.
- Cauldron of the Cosmos: Stationed in the main hallway of the New York Sanctum was the Cauldron of the Cosmos which The Cloak of Levitation stopped Tony Stark from disrespectfully leaning against.
- Metro-General Hospital: To be added
- Stephen Strange's Apartment: To be added
- Kamar-Taj: To be added
- New York Sanctum: To be added
|Appearances for Stephen Strange|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Stephen Strange was the founder and long-time leader of the Defenders, a member of the New Avengers and one of the Illuminati, a group made of the smartest and most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe, including Blackagar Boltagon, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Medusa, Hank Pym, and T'Challa.
- As a result of his confrontation with Dormammu in the Dark Dimension, Strange has officially died more times than any other character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Doctor Strange is a fan of Pink Floyd.
- Strange was mentioned as one of the targets for Project Insight during Captain America: The Winter Soldier, however he did not have his magic then so it is likely his high intellect is what made him a target.
Behind the Scenes
- Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is the second live-action incarnation of the character, following an incarnation portrayed by Peter Hooten.
- As Stephen Strange was previously mentioned in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Kevin Feige revealed that Strange did not have any powers yet, as Project Insight was designed to anticipate future threats, not just catalog current ones. He said that at this point Strange is "probably not...the sorcerer supreme," but is an "unbelievably talented neurosurgeon who's opinionated and kind of arrogant...[which] might put him on the list".
- Aaron Lazar was a body double for Benedict Cumberbatch in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame due to the latter having scheduling conflicts with The Current War.
- Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hardy, Ethan Hawke, Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor, Keanu Reeves, Justin Theroux, Jon Hamm, Johnny Depp, Ryan Gosling and Joseph Gordon-Levitt were all considered for Stephen Strange.
- Justin Eaton, Trevor Habberstad, George Kirby, Leo Woodruff, Martin De Boer and Lloyd Pitts were stunt doubles for Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor Strange.
- Peter Alberti was a stand-in for Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor Strange.
- Michael Chase was a double for Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Doctor Strange.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 Doctor Strange
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Avengers: Infinity War Prelude
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ WHIH Newsfront Exclusive: President Ellis Discusses the Avengers
- ↑ Doctor Strange Deleted Scene
- ↑ Doctor Strange: Mystic Apprentice
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Doctor Strange Mid-credits Scene
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Thor: Ragnarok
- ↑ 9.00 9.01 9.02 9.03 9.04 9.05 9.06 9.07 9.08 9.09 9.10 9.11 9.12 9.13 Avengers: Infinity War
- ↑ Avengers: Endgame Prelude
- ↑ Joe Russo's Q&A about the plot of Avengers: Endgame in China
- ↑ Spider-Man: Far From Home
- ↑ Kevin Feige Interview: Captain America, The Avengers 2 and Doctor Strange
- ↑ This Cumberbatch body-double is basically a Cumber-twin
|Master of New York Sanctum|
2017 - 2018