- "I'm doing better now, you know. I'm ready, and that is all thanks to you."
- ―Destiny Gonzalez to Leslie Dean
Destiny Gonzalez was a girl who was inducted in the Church of Gibborim to start a new life, only to be sacrificed by the PRIDE during a ritual. The sacrifice failed however and Gonzalez was later murdered by Victor Stein in an attempt to cover up the failure.
- "You said you didn't have anyone."
"Because I don't. Not anymore, not after I ran. I mean, I just couldn't take care of her, not like she deserved."
- ―Leslie Dean and Destiny Gonzalez
Destiny Gonzalez resided with her foster parents at the Helping Hand Youth Hostile, where she also worked as a waitress and a clerk. At age 14, Gonzalez gave birth to a daughter, which led her suffering the symptoms of postpartum depression, and ending her studies up to her GED qualification.
Meeting the Gibborim
Despite her attempts to be a mother, Gonzalez eventually fled from her foster house and traveled to Los Angeles, in search of a new home. She encountered the Church of Gibborim when two of its members, Aura and Frances, saved her from two hostile men. Initially wary because her first impression of them was a cult, she accepted their help and soon grew to accept their teachings.
One day she tried to take a trip without informing the Church. The organization's leader herself, Leslie Dean, intercepted her at a bus station and asked her about it. Gonzalez, although grateful for the help the Church gave her, revealed that it was her hitherto unmentioned daughter's birthday and she wanted to see her. Leslie convinced her to delay the trip ostensibly because she was moving up the Church's ranks as an Ultra, and Gonzalez relented.
- "Please don't do this. Please. Why can't I feel my arms? My legs... What is this?"
"It's the light."
- ―Destiny Gonzalez and Leslie Dean
Instead of moving up the ranks Gonzalez ended up in PRIDE's secret ceremonial chamber as a sacrifice. Thinking the ceremony was about her ascension at first, she soon recognized that none of its participants were from the Church except her and Leslie. She increasingly became agitated as the others undressed her, though Leslie fed her a soporific drink to quell any resistance as she was lowered into the Dematerialization Box and sealed within so her body would be used to revive Jonah.
However, it turned out that the sacrifice had failed. Indeed, while Victor Stein prepared to leave, he heard a noise coming from the Box. Upon opening it, Stein discovered that Gonzalez was still alive in it. In order to cover up the sacrifice's failure, Stein murdered Gonzalez and later dropped her corpse into the sea.
Gonzalez's body washed up on the beach a day later. Prior to its discovery by local authorities, the Church of Gibborim claimed to anyone inquiring that she was on a mission trip to London. Karolina Dean, Leslie Dean's daughter, even received a text message with a doctored photo of Gonzalez near the Big Ben.
The Runaways, who had witnessed Gonzalez's sacrifice, were eventually framed for her murder. As they were searched by the authorities for questioning, the Runaways were forced to flee as they had little chance to prove that their parents were the actual culprits. The focus then switched to Darius Davis after he was murdered by Catherine Wilder, but Davis' sister-in-law Tamar was determined to clear his name by presenting a video alibi to the District Attorney's office, although the piece of evidence was intercepted by Flores and AWOL.
Destiny's brother Oscar investigated on the death of the sister and eventually came to the conclusion that the Church of Gibborim was responsible for it. He headed to Los Angeles and accused Frank Dean, who ran the Church at the time, threatening him with a gun, but Dean managed to trick him and ultimately killed him when trying to steal his weapon.
- "My parents weren't there for me. My life was one big rebellion. Just drama and chaos, and... I'm sorry. What am I doing? Just giving my testimonial."
- ―Destiny Gonzalez
To be added
|Appearances for Destiny Gonzalez|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Destiny Gonzales was a "working girl", implied to be an escort, abducted by the PRIDE and killed by Geoffrey Wilder in order to serve her soul to the Gibborim.
- According to her file, Gonzalez weighed 119 lbs. and was around 5'5" in height. She was also a marijuana consumer.
Behind the Scenes
- While never credited with her full name in any episode of Runaways, Destiny was referred as "Destiny Gonzalez" in Rewind and Destiny, and as "Destiny Gonzales" in Fifteen.
- Michelle Jubilee Gonzalez and Jessi Fisher were stunt doubles for Nicole Wolf in the role of Destiny Gonzalez.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Runaways: 1.02: Rewind
- ↑ Runaways: 1.04: Fifteen
- ↑ Runaways: 2.07: Last Rites
- ↑ Runaways: 1.07: Refraction
- ↑ Runaways: 1.09: Doomsday
- ↑ Runaways: 1.01: Reunion
- ↑ Runaways: 1.03: Destiny
- ↑ Runaways: 1.10: Hostile
- ↑ Runaways: 2.03: Double Zeros
- ↑ Runaways: 2.08: Past Life
- ↑ Runaways: 2.07: Last Rites