|For alternate versions of Cull Obsidian, see Cull Obsidian's Character Hub|
Cull Obsidian was physically the most powerful of Thanos' children and was a member of the Black Order. He joined his adoptive father Thanos in his quest to obtain all the Infinity Stones. He and his siblings massacred half of the Asgardians, attacked Greenwich Village, and fought in the Battle of Wakanda, where he was killed by Bruce Banner in the Hulkbuster suit.
Becoming a Child of Thanos
Cull Obsidian was a member of a world destroyed by Thanos in his quest to wipe out half the universe. Thanos took the orphaned Obsidian and raised him as his own child, training him to be a deadly member of the Black Order. Obsidian, along with the rest of the Order, was disliked by Gamora and Nebula.
In 2018, Obsidian and the rest of the Black Order accompanied Thanos on his quest to acquire the Infinity Stones. They first went to Xandar, where Thanos stole the Orb from the Nova Corps Headquarters after defeating the Nova Corps and proceeded to massacre half of the Xandarians. A week later, the Sanctuary II intercepted by he Statesman.
Obsidian participated in Thanos' assault on the Statesman in search of the Space Stone. After Obsidian and the Order killed half of the Asgardians onboard, Thanos demanded that Loki hand over the Tesseract to him in exchange for Thor’s life. As Loki was going to give the Tesseract to Thanos, Hulk violently attacked him. Obsidian moved to intervene, but was restrained by Ebony Maw who told him to let Thanos have his fun.
After Thanos defeated Hulk, Obsidian watched as Heimdall used dark magic to send him away on the Bifrost Bridge, before being killed. Once the Space Stone was given to Thanos, he placed it in his Infinity Gauntlet, and demanded them to find the rest of the Infinity Stones on Earth so they could meet on Titan, leading Obsidian to humbly bow for their father.
Loki then tried to distract them by telling Thanos that he will be of allegiance to him; however, he was then killed after trying to kill Thanos. Using the power of the newly acquired Space Stone, Thanos made a wormhole to teleport himself and the Order out of the Statesman, and used the Power Stone to destroy the ship.
Obsidian and Ebony Maw traveled to New York City on Earth in their Q-Ship. Upon arriving, Obsidian and Maw beamed down to the street and were confronted by Doctor Strange, Wong, Tony Stark, and Bruce Banner. After Maw grew irritated with Stark, Obsidian was ordered to bring the Time Stone to him.
Stark intended for Banner transform into the Hulk and take out Obsidian, but Banner was unable to transform, leaving Stark to confront him. Obsidian rushed over to fight Stark only to have his attack blocked from his shield and then punched in the face. Stark blasted Obsidian away with his repulsors, sending him flying across the street and Maw moving him away to land on the ground. As Maw battle against the rest of the group, Obsidian threw his chain hammer at Stark, sending him into a nearby park.
Obsidian chased him over to the park, breaking through a building and throwing his hammer at his way. However, he was stopped by Peter Parker, causing frustration and threw him out of the park.
Stark used his repulsors against Obsidian but he used his own shield to protect himself from the blast. Obsidian grabbed a piece of the taxi cab that was cut off and threw it at Stark. Obsidian was then attacked by Parker with the piece of the taxi cab was thrown by him. During the battle, the Cloak of Levitation flew past, leading Stark to tell Parker to chase after it. During this time, Obsidian gained the upper hand against Stark by slamming him against the ground with his hammer.
Now having Stark being electrocuted from his suit and trapped by the hammer's grasp, Obsidian took this opportunity to kill him with his hidden blade. As Obsidian attacked, Wong used his Sling Ring to teleport him to Antarctica. Confused upon the location that he was suddenly being thrown in, Obsidian looked above the Inter-Dimensional Portal and tried to return through it, but Wong closed it, cutting off his forearm.
Obsidian managed to be rescued by Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive on their Q-Ship, as well as reattaching a new arm. Obsidian and Midnight beamed themselves down into Wakanda and sent Outrider Dropships down, but were unable to get inside due to the protective dome. They walked to the edge of the dome and met Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, and T’Challa.
Once they refused to give them the Mind Stone, Obsidian and Midnight unleashed the Outriders from their Dropships to attack. To prevent the Outriders going around the dome, T’Challa opened a portion of the dome, allowing them to come inside. Upon entering, Obsidian used his hammer to strike James Rhodes, knocking him down. Later, during the battle, he, along with Midnight, witnessed Thor, Groot, and Rocket Raccoon’s arrival.
Obsidian then started to kill several members of the Border Tribe and Jabari Tribe, until he was attacked by T’Challa’s kinetic energy pulse. Once Scarlet Witch had joined the fight, Midnight ordered Glaive to take the Stone, and Obsidian took notice of the conflict and joined Glaive into attacking Vision in the nearby forest. Obsidian used his hammer to violently hit Vision, sending him deeper into the forest. Bruce Banner in his Hulkbuster armor then arrived and threatened to attack the two of them.
Obsidian managed to use his hammer to close Banner's hands, causing both of them to fly across a nearby waterfall. Obsidian engaged in a fight with Banner in his Hulkbuster armor, as he kept talking to Hulk about saving him from the fight. Obsidian used his broken Chain Hammer to grapple with Banner's left arm and ripping it apart. Once Banner had decided to confront his opponent, Obsidian took a mean left hook to the face while Banner jumped in the air.
Obsidian began to trade off blows with Banner in close combat but he punched Banner away and onto the ground. While Banner was in the ground and had an idea, Obsidian used his hidden blade to kill Banner but he detached the Hulkbuster's left arm to trap Obsidian's arm in the gauntlet and activated the inbuilt thruster. Obsidian was sent flying away where he was dragged against the inside of the dome, causing him to burn away before the arm exploded and killed him.
Cull Obsidian was a savage brute that took great pleasure in fighting his enemies with the Black Order. He was eager to fight the Hulk on behalf of Thanos during the attack on the Statesman before being stopped by Ebony Maw. In contrast with his siblings, he was apparently the least intelligent of the Black Order, as he was only able to communicate in grunts and growls. He recklessly attacked his foes head-on, which would be a trait that would cost him his life as exemplified by how Bruce Banner was able to outsmart him and send him flying to a fiery death. Obsidian was also extremely reckless in battle, as when he fought Iron Man in 2023, he did not account for other combatants to try and stop him, leading to his swift demise in the battle.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: As a result of his great size, Obsidian possessed an incredible level of superhuman strength and was seemingly able to match that of the Hulk, as indicated by Obsidian intending to fight the Hulk for his master Thanos when Hulk attacked the Mad Titan. Obsidian's strength indeed allowed him to fight Iron Man and Spider-Man simultaneously, throw half a taxi with great velocity, and fight on par with, and even overpower, the Hulkbuster, a weapon that was able to defeat the Hulk, though it should be noted that it had already taken damage from several Outriders. In fact, Obsidian was strong enough to easily rip the Hulkbuster's arm off.
- Superhuman Durability: Obsidian possessed tremendous levels of superhuman durability. He could take numerous blows from Iron Man's enhanced nanotech suit, as well as missiles, repulsor blasts and beams, blows from the Hulkbuster armor, and even a full blast of Black Panther's kinetic energy projection, all with absolutely no sign of harm. However, Obsidian's durability appears to have a maximum limit, since he was destroyed when Bruce Banner's detached Hulkbuster arm lifted and dragged Obsidian into the intense energy of Wakanda's barrier. Despite the event ending in his death, he lasted a considerable amount of time, dying due to the arm exploding.
- Superhuman Speed: Obsidian was extremely quick despite his size. He was able to go toe-to-toe with Bruce Banner in the also incredibly quick Hulkbuster Armor.
- Superhuman Stamina: Obsidian dueled Bruce Banner for a very long time without tiring.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Obsidian could heal from his injuries at a heightened rate as was demonstrated by his skin repairing itself after it was damaged by Iron Man's repulsor beams. However, even though he can heal his injuries, he cannot regenerate parts of his body. Wong cut off his hand after closing the portal, and Obsidian's hand was replaced with a cybernetic one.
- Master Combatant: Despite his ferociousness and recklessness, Obsidian was a highly formidable and accomplished combatant, who used his massive size and strength to great effect. His skill is such that he could have defeated or killed Iron Man thrice if no one else had intervened. During the Battle of Wakanda, Obsidian easily slew many Wakandan warriors and slowly overpowered Bruce Banner in the Hulkbuster Armor when he severed the suit's left arm. Obsidian was eventually defeated when Banner trapped his arm in the detached gauntlet of the suit and sent him flying to an explosive demise.
- Hammer Mastery: Obsidian was very skilled in using his chain hammer. Obsidian wielded it to great effect against his enemies, using it effectively during his fight with Iron Man and killed many Wakandan warriors during the Battle of Wakanda.
- Cull Obsidian's Chain Hammer: Cull Obsidian utilized a massive multi-tool like a weapon that had a wide range of abilities. It was primarily used as a hammer and the head of the hammer could be launched attached to a chain to hit targets at a distance. It also possessed a claw-like function, being capable of grabbing targets. It could also transform into a shield that was capable of deflecting energy blasts. The upper half of the device can also be launched as a snare while the rest can turn into a long blade. It was also capable of turning into a hooked blade which he used to destroy an arm of the Iron Man Armor: Mark XLVIII.
- Arm Blade: During the Battle of Earth, Obsidian sported a blade worn along his right arm.
- Cybernetic Arm: Cull Obsidian had his left forearm replaced with a prosthetic, having lost it when it was trapped in a magic portal that was closed by Wong, severing his arm. The prosthetic is capable of turning into a short blade.
- Sanctuary II: Cull Obsidian, along the rest of the Black Order, used this massive warship to go to different places in the universe along Thanos and the army. They used this ship to assault the Statesman in 2018.
- Statesman: Obsidian boarded this massive ship along Thanos and the Black Order to obtain the Space Stone. After some fights, Thanos obtained the Stone and they left the ship while it was destroyed by the Power Stone.
- Q-Ship: Obsidian, along with Ebony Maw, used this spaceship to arrive on New York City to obtain the Time Stone. He later boarded another ship to prepare the attack to obtain the Mind Stone in Wakanda.
- Outrider Dropship: Cull Obsidian, Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive used these ships to arrive on Wakanda before the battle.
|Appearances for Cull Obsidian|
|In chronological order:|
- In the comics, Black Dwarf was the strongest and most powerful member of the Black Order. He was expelled from the Order after a failed attempt of conquering Wakanda and was killed by Ronan the Accuser when he later attempted to retain his rank by destroying the Avengers. He was later resuscitated by the Grandmaster.
- The name "Cull Obsidian" is an alternative alias for the Black Order in the comics.
Behind the Scenes
- Cull Obsidian's appearance was made in three parts: his head was designed by Ryan Meinerding, his body by Jerad S. Marantz and his costume by Wesley Burt.
- Greg Rementer was a stunt double for Terry Notary in the role of Cull Obsidian.
- Kevin Marshall was a stand-in for Terry Notary in the role of Cull Obsidian.