- "It ain't about any of that for me anymore. I just want them to feel the pain, the loss, of everything they took from me. And make them pay for it. In blood."
- ―Brock Rumlow
Brock Rumlow was a HYDRA infiltrator who had been posing as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, and STRIKE's team field commander. Due to his training from S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA, Rumlow had become a world-class combatant, with extensive experience in street fighting, martial arts, and military combat techniques. Following the Battle of New York, Rumlow's STRIKE team had been ordered to return the Scepter to HYDRA. Following this, Rumlow followed Captain America on several missions under the HYDRA Uprising was revealed and Rumlow was ordered to lead their team and assassinate Captain America under the orders of Alexander Pierce. Eventually, all HYDRA's schemes were defeated and, during the Battle at the Triskelion, Rumlow had almost been crushed to death while fighting against Sam Wilson, suffering several horrific facial scars in the process.
Once he recovered from his injuries, Rumlow had discovered that Pierce had been killed during the battle and HYDRA was almost completely defeated. As a result, Rumlow managed to escape from hospital and, constructing his Battlefield Suit and assuming ta new codename of Crossbones, then became an independent terrorist, setting out on his path to exact revenge and make anyone involved in his downfall suffer the pain and loss he endured. During a mission in Nigeria, Crossbones had lured the Avengers into a public battle in which he personally fought against Captain America, seeking to gain his revenge. Although he was defeated, Crossbones had performed a last-ditch suicide attack which killed himself and several innocent civilians after Scarlet Witch propelled him into a building.
Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Being an operative for HYDRA, Brock Rumlow was tasked to infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D. to strike from the inside at the right time. Rumlow became an agent and rose through the ranks before he was tasked to command the STRIKE unit.
In 2012, following the Battle of New York, Rumlow was present on the Stark Tower after Loki was apprehended by the Avengers. He and his men, including Jack Rollins, were given the God of Mischief's Scepter by Black Widow so they could take it back to S.H.I.E.L.D.. However, they were secretly under orders from Jasper Sitwell to have the Scepter delivered to List for HYDRA.
As leader of the STRIKE unit, Rumlow was often partnered with Captain America and Black Widow. One operation saw Rumlow assisting in the recovery of the stolen Zodiac weapon and the apprehension of the terrorists that stole it. During one of their missions together, Rumlow, partnered with Rogers and Romanoff, was able to stop a terrorist group led by a man only known as Baker from launching an attack with the stolen Zodiac weapon in Chicago.
Rumlow and Rogers then defeated most of the terrorists while Romanoff took care of Baker himself. She was unable to defeat the terrorist; however, after his men had fallen, he could not defeat all three of them, so Baker tried to flee by throwing himself from a window. As Captain America was unwilling to let Baker escape with the Zodiac, he too jumped off the Skydeck and struggled with Baker in mid-air. Unwilling to die in the fall, Baker released the Zodiac to Rogers and activated his parachute, while Rumlow snared Captain America in mid-air back on the Skydeck with a grappler arrow.
Rumlow's STRIKE team, who were led by Captain America and Black Widow, were sent on a mission to recapture the Lemurian Star, a ship which had been hijacked by the group of pirates led by Georges Batroc. As Rumlow spoke about the number of pirates to expect, Captain America made his frustrations at it being a ship controlled by Nick Fury clear, as he felt Fury should get much of the blame.
Once Rumlow had debriefed the team on all the details of their plan, Captain America gave him his orders and left the Quinjet first, leaping out into the ocean in order to silently clear the top deck on his own before the rest of the team arrived. When Jack Rollins looked on his surprise at Captain America's move he questioned if he had jumped out without his parachute, Rumlow confirmed that he had as he then attached his own parachute, impressed by the incredible jump.
Rumlow and STRIKE joined Captain America moments later, finding that he had managed to take out the vast majority of the onboard pirates that had been stationed there by Georges Batroc on the ship without raising the alarm in a matter on mere minutes, using nothing but his Shield and S.H.I.E.L.D. fighting skills to take them out. Once Rumlow came down to the ship, he found a pirate had managed to get the drop on Captain America and held him at gunpoint.
Silently dropping onto the ship with his parachute, Rumlow had been unseen by the pirate as he proceeded to kill him with a silenced shot straight into the back of the head, while joking that Captain America was clearly helpless without him. Once Captain America had thanked him for saving his life, Rumlow rejoined the rest of their STRIKE team and went to continue his mission, as they got into position, ready to go and to rescue the hostages from the rest of Batroc's pirates.
With the pathway clear, Rumlow and Rollins made their way through the ship, taking position outside the kitchen where the hostages were held, using a Taser Rod to silently knock out on the pirate who was guarding the door, as Rumlow ensured they did not make any noise. Once Captain America and Black Widow were in position and ready, Rumlow and his team killed Batroc's men and rescued the hostages, including Jasper Sitwell who had also been among the hostages.
While Rumlow and STRIKE made their escape from the ship with the hostages close behind him, he informed Captain America that Black Widow failed to meet them as he continued the drop-off. Meanwhile, Captain America personally battled Georges Batroc who eventually gotten away after Captain America became momentarily distracted upon finding Black Widow hacking into the ship's computer system and stealing the secret intel as per Nick Fury's direct orders.
Death of Nick Fury
Since Director Nick Fury had been coming close to uncovering some key information about Project Insight and all HYDRA's secrets, it was then decided by Alexander Pierce that the Winter Soldier would be sent out to assassinate him before Rumlow and all the other undercover agents were exposed. Following this, Rumlow went to the hospital where Fury was being treated, seemingly dying on the operating table and ensuring that HYDRA's secrets were undiscovered.
While standing guard in the hospital with his STRIKE team, Rumlow had then received a call from the Triskelion and had been ordered to ensure that Steve Rogers returned to S.H.I.E.L.D. in order to debrief with Alexander Pierce about everything that he had witnessed. While Rogers initially delayed as he and Natasha Romanoff were speaking, Rumlow insisted that they had to leave immediately. Rumlow and the STRIKE team then accompanied Rogers back to the Triskelion.
Ambush in the Elevator
- "Whoa big guy, I just want you to know, this isn't personal!"
"It kinda feels personal."
- ―Brock Rumlow and Captain America
Since Steve Rogers' meeting with Alexander Pierce had resulted with Rogers being declared an enemy of S.H.I.E.L.D. as he had withheld key information about Nick Fury's death, Rumlow had been ordered to bring him into custody. Rumlow and the STRIKE team then coordinated a plan to to capture Rogers inside an elevator as he attempted to leave the Triskelion, thereby ensuring that HYDRA's secrets were not exposed.
Stepping into the elevator with several STRIKE agents, Rumlow had greeted Rogers, attempting not to alert him to the incoming ambush. While they headed down, Rumlow spoke to Rogers to gain his trust, claiming that forensics had found evidence on the shooter for them to see, before more agents entered and gently pushed Rogers into the middle of the elevator, ready for their ambush. Rumlow noted to Rogers that he had been sorry to hear about the death of Fury.
As they were joined by Jack Rollins, Rogers had become suspicious about the situation and gave the team one chance to escape before they got started. Realizing that Rogers knew what was coming, the HYDRA agents refused the offer and attempted to recapture Rogers, using Taser Rods and Magnetic Handcuffs. As Rogers had furiously fought back against them, Rumlow managed to kick his arm against the wall, causing a Magnetic Handcuff to then lock him into place.
With Rogers pinned against the wall, Rumlow attacked him with his Taser Rods, causing him considerable pain until Rogers was able to beat him back and free himself. While Jasper Sitwell was watching the situation and sending them reinforcements, Rumlow eventually was the last man standing against Rogers, who had beaten all the other HYDRA agents unconscious. Rearming himself with his Taser Rods, Rumlow insisted that the ambush was not personal.
Despite knowing he was outmatched by the Super Soldier, Rumlow then proceeded to attack Rogers, furiously swinging his Taser Rods at him and managing to strike Rogers in the stomach twice, causing him considerable pain. However, Rogers swiftly regained control of the situation and punched Rumlow hard in the head, before throwing him up into the ceiling of the elevator, knocking Rumlow unconscious before Rogers had made his successful escape from the facility.
Losing his Target
- "Give me a floor rundown."
"Negative on three."
"Snake the upper levels, work down to me."
- ―Brock Rumlow and STRIKE Agent
Following their humiliating defeat, Rumlow led the ensuing manhunt for Steve Rogers under the orders of Alexander Pierce. Before long, Rumlow and his team had been able to track Rogers down to a mall in Washington, D.C. where he and Natasha Romanoff had activated a flash drive with a tracker on it. Seeking to take down Rogers, Rumlow soon arrived at the mall with his STRIKE team including Jack Rollins, all eager to gain revenge of their defeat in the elevator.
As the STRIKE agents searched the mall, it was confirmed by Rollins that Rogers and Romanoff had already left the shop where they had activated the hard-drive, learning all about Zola's Algorithm. Rumlow confirmed that the other HYDRA agents did not have a visual on their targets, as he personally searched for them. Having failed to notice a kissing couple going past him, Rumlow finally accepted that Rogers and Romanoff had successfully managed to escape their hunt.
Capturing Captain America
- "Three holes, start digging."
- ―Brock Rumlow to Jack Rollins
Later, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff were located at Camp Lehigh, where Arnim Zola's computer hard-drive was located. Alexander Pierce destroyed the camp with a missile in an attempt to kill them. Rumlow explored the area, looking through the rubble for their corpses and discovered a pair of shoeprints, telling him that Rogers and Romanoff had survived and escaped. Rumlow reported back to base and told them to call in the Winter Soldier.
Rumlow and his STRIKE team captured Captain America, together with Black Widow and Falcon on the streets of Washington, D.C. after they had a prolonged fight with the Winter Soldier. As Rumlow and his team surrounded the three with their guns drawn, he noticed Jack Rollins attempting to execute Rogers by shooting him in the back of his head, Rumlow saw a news helicopter watching overhead and ordered him to stop and wait until they were clear of the media.
Rumlow then took their captives to a secure location to execute them free of any media interference. As they stepped from the van, Rumlow turned to some of his team and ordered them to dig three graves for Rogers, Romanoff, and Wilson. He and Jack Rollins led a team to the van and opened the doors with their guns drawn, only to find that Rogers and his team had escaped with help from Maria Hill and a Mouse Hole device to cut through the vehicle.
Rumlow and Jack Rollins escorted Alexander Pierce to the Ideal Federal Savings Bank to begin questioning the Winter Soldier, who was struggling to understand why he seemed to remember Captain America from a past life. Rumlow acted as Pierce's bodyguard as he began questioning the Winter Soldier. Rumlow watched closely as the Winter Soldier was beaten and Pierce ordered his memories to be wiped once again so he could attack Rogers.
Rumlow then made his way into the control center of the Triskelion to ensure the launch of the Helicarriers while Captain America revealed HYDRA's infiltration within S.H.I.E.L.D.. When Cameron Klein refused to help, Rumlow threatened to shoot him in the head. Sharon Carter defended Klein by pointing her own gun onto Rumlow's head as well.
Despite telling Carter and Klein that they had chosen the wrong side, Rumlow seemingly surrendered, dropping his sidearm, only to draw a knife which he used to cut Carter across the arm, causing her to drop her weapon. A gunfight between S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA agents ensued, and Rumlow attempted to kill Klein but Carter managed to save her ally. As chaos erupted, Rumlow was able to get the Project Insight Helicarriers in the air and then escape.
On his way through the Triskelion, Rumlow managed to kill several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, using his knife and disarming various agents to take their weapons and shoot others. He received a call informing him that both Black Widow and Nick Fury had attacked and also captured Alexander Pierce. Knowing that the capture of Pierce put Project Insight at risk of being stopped, Rumlow made it his priority to protect Pierce so HYDRA's plan could go underway.
Showdown with Sam Wilson
As he went to protect Alexander Pierce from being arrested, Rumlow was cornered and ambushed by Sam Wilson. However, he was soon able to knock Wilson to the ground with a head-butt. Rumlow prepared for a long fight and told Wilson that their fight was going to hurt as HYDRA did not take prisoners, bragging that Wilson was out of his depth in challenging him, smugly asking Wilson if he was even ready for the pain which Rumlow planned on inflicting.
Growing tired of Rumlow's bragging, Wilson simply told him to shut up as they began to fight, charging at each other and exchanging blows. As Rumlow gained the upper hand due to his rough and dirty style of fighting, he threw his opponent across the room while taunting him that he was out of his depth fighting HYDRA while he jumped onto one of the desks so he could look down at the bleeding and almost defeated Wilson who was now lying on the ground.
However, while Rumlow smugly prepared to kill his enemy, he did not spot the incoming Helicarrier, which had been damaged during the battle and was heading straight for them. Seeing Wilson had spotted something behind him and had turned and ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction, Rumlow turned and saw the danger but not until it was unfortunately too late and it crashed straight into the side of the Triskelion directly behind Rumlow.
Rumlow attempted to flee but was soon knocked over and crushed by the crumbling building as the bricks and flames trapped his body under the rubble and nearly killing him. Rumlow however somehow managed to survive despite being badly wounded, gaining horrific facial and body scars, and was taken away by medics. The incident also left Rumlow almost completely immune to pain and with a hatred for Captain America who he blamed for his terrible injuries.
- "I didn't do this for HYDRA. You want in on this next job, you better leave all that shit at the door."
Months later, Rumlow watched a report on the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. from his hospital bed. Disillusioned and furious at HYDRA's defeat, he assaulted his nurse and escaped. Rumlow began robbing police stations over various countries. In 2016, recovering some items from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s research labs and set up an arms sale to draw out HYDRA, before opening fire to send a message while getting satisfaction by subjecting them to the pain he suffered. He took up the alias "Crossbones" and was spotted in Lagos, Nigeria.
- "We're not gonna outrun them, lose the truck."
"Where are you going to meet us?"
- ―Crossbones and Mercenary
Seeking to draw out the Avengers and cause a devastating attack, Crossbones assembled a group of mercenaries and organized the theft of a biological agent at an Institute for Infectious Diseases laboratory in Lagos, Nigeria. Crossbones' men drove a truck through the entrance before opening fire on the guards, filling the building with poisonous gas.
Crossbones and one other mercenary made their way through the building, using his battle suit to smash through several walls with ease until he found a chemical weapon and stole it. However, they were soon confronted by the Avengers who interfered and fended off his mercenaries before seeking him out. As Crossbones then stepped outside, he witnessed Scarlet Witch sucking the poison gas out of the building, indicating that the Avengers had arrived.
Quickly making his way downstairs to make his fast getaway while Captain America was still inside the building searching for him and his soldiers, Crossbones soon found Black Widow attacking his men and charged at her, grabbing her by the hair and dragging her back into a scuffle atop an armored truck. Widow soon freed herself and fought against the merciless terrorist before attempting to electrocute him with one of her Taser Disks on his exposed neck.
Crossbones, however, informed her that he did not feel pain like that anymore, due to his injuries from the Battle at the Triskelion, before locking her inside a tank and dropping a grenade in with her. Leaving some of his own men inside the vehicle as well, Crossbones moved to another armored car while Widow barely managed to escape by using one of the mercenaries as a human shield to protect her from the deadly explosion, despite causing her great pain.
Crossbones and his remaining mercenaries got in their armored vehicle and Crossbones took control of the main gun, aiming it at the IFID building just as Captain America was exciting to hunt down the terrorist and regain the stolen biological weapon. While the Captain attempted to escape, Crossbones continued to fire at his enemy until eventually, he was able to shoot him out of the building where he fell several floors down to the ground.
As they attempted to escape their attackers while the Falcon hunted them down, Crossbones gave the chemical weapon to one of his men to take to the airport before ordering them to ditch the armored truck as they would never outrun them. They crashed and departed, with each of the soldiers running in a different direction hoping to mislead the Avengers and escape with the biological weapon. When one of the mercenaries asked where Crossbones would be meeting them, Crossbones made it clear that he knew he would die during this fight. Before long, all the men had been killed and the weapon had been secured and taken away by Redwing.
Showdown with Captain America
Crossbones soon located Captain America and threw a magnetic bomb at his shield, forcing him to throw it out of danger to protect himself and the various innocent citizens of Lagos surrounding him. With Rogers without his own protection, Crossbones charged in and used the momentary distraction to begin furiously beating him, using the added strength from his armored suit and overpower his most hated foe.
Having pinned Rogers to a wall, Crossbones noted that this was for nearly killing him during the Battle at the Triskelion as the falling Triskelion had crushed his body and scarred his face. Although his new battle suit gave Crossbones strength that rivaled Rogers' own, he was unable to defeat him in combat. Seeking to end the fight, Crossbones revealed that his armored gauntlets held hidden blades with, which he attempted to punch through Rogers' skull.
However, Rogers was able to dodge out of the way of Crossbones' deadly attacks and eventually, his opposition had the upper hand when Captain America was able to break his arm and ripped off his armored gauntlets. Refusing to give up now, Crossbones continued fighting until Rogers delivered several powerful punches, damaging his mask and, with a final power kick which sent Crossbones flying backward, overthrew him out of his chance for victory.
Final Confessions and Death
With Crossbones defeated, Captain America demanded Rumlow to reveal for whom he was working. However Rumlow refused to answer, instead of commenting on his own scars before claiming that the Winter Soldier had remembered his old friend before HYDRA had scrambled his brain again by putting him back inside the Memory Suppressing Machine. With Rogers distracted, Rumlow armed the bomb applied in his own suicide vest, intending to take Captain America's life along with his own.
Just as Rumlow activated the bomb, Scarlet Witch used her powers to contain the explosion as Rumlow screamed in horrific anguish as his body was consumed in the fireball. She was able to whisk his exploding body away from Rogers but unintentionally placed him next to a building filled with several Wakandan nationals. Rumlow was among those who perished inside the resulting explosion after Maximoff could not contain the deadly blast any longer.
The attack on Lagos, Nigeria and Rumlow's catastrophic suicide bombing that had killed dozens of civilians, was deemed a public relations disaster and with divided opinions on the Avengers after the Battle of Sokovia, confirmed the Sokovia Accords in hopes of preventing a similar conflict, supported by T'Chaka and various other world leaders.
In 2023, after successfully discovering a method to traverse through time safely, Captain America, along with Iron Man, traveled back to the Battle of New York in 2012, where he infiltrated Stark Tower. After Stark had informed him that Rumlow, along with Jasper Sitwell and Jack Rollins, had taken possession of the Scepter, Captain America intercepted them. Pretending to be a fellow HYDRA agent, Captain America succeeded in tricking Rumlow and Sitwell and was given possession of the Scepter.
- "I'm a soldier. I knew death was a possibility when I signed up. It ain't exactly a secret. And I'm okay with dyin' for a cause I believe in."
- ―Brock Rumlow
Originally, Rumlow was extremely loyal to HYDRA, as well as being slightly cocky, like when he saved Captain Rogers aboard the Lemurian Star. He was greatly impressed with Rogers' abilities as a soldier, such as when Rogers jumped from a Quinjet without a parachute. He had a strong attitude, as well as a tendency to go to extreme lengths to do things, like when he threatened to kill Cameron Klein if he did not launch the Insight Helicarriers.
As for when he took up the Crossbones alias, Rumlow was unpredictable, unapologetic, vicious, arrogant, ruthless and murderous. Following his escape from the hospital, Rumlow completely abandoned HYDRA's ideals, quickly becoming obsessed with only one thing - revenge.
Rumlow was carelessly willing to sacrifice two of his men to kill Black Widow with a grenade and brutally attacked Captain America with no remorse. When he was finally defeated, he didn't hesitate to blow himself up if that meant that his enemies would die with him. However, before his death, Rumlow was proven to be an extremely sadistic person as he lied to Rogers about the latter meeting with Bucky Barnes, when he taunted him, Rumlow seemed to be enjoying from the thing.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Strength: Harnessing the hydraulic functions of his specialized gauntlets, Rumlow gains superhuman strength. They boosted his physical attributes enough that he was even a match for Captain America.
- "I don't work like that no more."
- ―Brock Rumlow and Black Widow
- Nigh-Immunity to Pain: When he was severely burned, Rumlow's pain receptors were damaged, resulting in him being almost completely immune to pain. When Black Widow attempted to electrocute him with her gauntlets, Crossbones informed her that he did not feel pain the way he did before, yet he still screamed in pain as his suicide vest went off and the blast was contained against his body by Wanda Maximoff.
"Yeah, you seemed pretty helpless without me."
- ―Captain America and Brock Rumlow
- Expert Tactician: Due to his military training, Rumlow is a highly trained strategist with extensive knowledge in warfare and military combatants. After abandoning HYDRA, Rumlow was able to stay ahead of the Avengers and law enforcement for six months. He was able to swiftly escape various scenes where he had staged heists or attacks. When he and his mercenaries planned to storm the Institute for Infectious Diseases laboratory in Lagos, Rumlow used a garbage truck to break into the area to avoid suspicion.
- Master Combatant: Rumlow is a formidable hand-to-hand combatant. He was able to evade the knives thrown by one of the men in Baker's terrorist cell and easily defeat him, able to fight evenly against Black Widow, and hold his own against Captain America for the longest when the whole STRIKE team tried to subdue him, though he was ultimately defeated. He also dominated Falcon in their fight and mocked him for being in a superior fighting level, as Wilson only hit Rumlow when he ambushed him. Whilst in his Battlefield Suit Rumlow managed to defeat Black Widow and go toe to toe against Captain America a super soldier with reflexes faster than any human.
- Expert Marksman: Rumlow is an accomplished marksman in sharpshooting, being able to, among other things, shoot a rope with a crossbow to catch Captain America to prevent him from falling from a building, or accurately land a single shot to a target's head while parachuting.
- Spy: Rumlow managed to hide his true identity as a HYDRA sleeper agent from S.H.I.E.L.D., forming a partnership with Captain America and Black Widow in the process.
- Taser Rod: While attempting to capture Captain America, Rumlow and his STRIKE team used Taser Rods to weaken the super soldier and arrest him. However, they quickly learned that the Rods were not strong enough to stop Captain Rogers and he escaped.
- Benchmade SOCP Dagger: Rumlow had this knife holstered on the left shoulder of his armor when operating as Crossbones, though he was never seen using it.
- SIG-Sauer P226 Super Capacity Tactical: Rumlow's personal handgun during his career as a STRIKE operative. He carried it while looking for Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff in a mall in Washington, D.C. He also used it to threaten Cameron Klein inside the Triskelion, but he was forced to drop the weapon.
- SIG Sauer P226: A regular handgun that Rumlow had to use after losing his custom handgun. Rumlow obtained this pistol from a deceased S.H.I.E.L.D. agent while navigating inside the Triskelion to ensure HYDRA's plans.
- Glock 19: The Glock 19 pistol is the standard sidearm carried by STRIKE operatives, and, as such, Rumlow carried it as his main sidearm during missions. He used it to threaten Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and Natasha Romanoff in Washington, D.C., right before capturing them following a confrontation against the Winter Soldier.
- FNX-45 Tactical: Sharon Carter's weapon of choice. Rumlow disarmed her and took the gun for himself to escape from loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents inside the Helicarrier Control Room at the Triskelion.
- Desert Eagle Mark XIX: Rumlow dual-wielded these pistols during an assault on a police station in Nigeria. He was photographed during the attack, and his image wielding the guns appeared in a newspaper photograph.
- Kel-Tec KSG: Crossbones carried this shotgun in his Attack on the IFID Headquarters in case he needed it to dispatch remaining security staff, but he quickly discarded it as he entered into the building.
- M4A1 Carbine: The standard weapon used by S.H.I.E.L.D. Strike Team members, that Rumlow used while trying to capture Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff in Camp Lehigh.
- Steyr AUG A3: A bullpup assault rifle that Rumlow carried on a mission to retake the Lemurian Star and liberate hostages inside. He used it even before landing on the ship, killing a pirate that was about to attack Captain America and navigated with it inside the ship.
- Mk 19 Grenade Launcher: Crossbones seized control of one of the armored trucks stationed at the IFID Headquarters, and manned its weapon in order to shoot grenades at Captain America in an effort to kill him. Despite the grenades did not kill him, they managed to knock him out of the building.
- M67 Grenade: Rumlow carried these grenades attached to his Battlefield Suit, and dropped one of them inside an IFID armored truck once he trapped Natasha Romanoff inside, in order to try to kill her.
- Magnetic Bomb: An advanced explosive that was capable of attaching to magnetic surfaces before detonating. During the skirmish with the Avengers in Lagos, Rumlow threw this bomb onto Captain America's Shield, forcing Rogers to throw the shield away to prevent civilian casualties while allowing Rumlow to attack Rogers by surprise.
- Battlefield Suit: In the aftermath of the HYDRA Uprising and when he became a mercenary, Rumlow began wearing a specialized body armor alongside a standard tactical combat suit, outfitted with multiple hand explosives. Rumlow also wore a helmet, which served to hide his facial scars.
- Weaponized Gauntlets: Crossbones wears specialized gauntlets that a have hydraulic functions that grant him superhuman strength. They boosted his physical attributes enough that he was even a match for Captain America, who is a super-soldier. The gauntlets also have large retractable blades hidden inside.
- Explosive Vest: Crossbones' suit contained a hidden explosive vest, designed to be used as a last resort against his opponents. After being defeated in battle by Captain America, Rumlow activated the vest, intending to take Captain America with him, but Scarlet Witch intervened and moved the explosion away - but at the cost of 11 Wakandan relief workers.
- Gas Mask: Rumlow utilized a gas mask to protect himself from the toxic gas his mercenaries used to clear the IFID Headquarters.
- Bulletproof Vest: Rumlow used a bulletproof vest for protection on missions during his time as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.
- Triskelion: During his time as an undercover HYDRA operative, Rumlow worked at S.H.I.E.L.D.'s primary headquarters, the Triskelion. While operating there, he led S.H.I.E.L.D.'s STRIKE unite, even having a confrontation with Captain America in a failed attempt to capture him. Rumlow was in the Triskelion when a Helicarrier collided with it, destroying the building, and resulting in his physical deformation.
|Appearances for Brock Rumlow|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Crossbones is the Red Skull's subordinate who had became romantically involved with his daughter Sin.
- In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Brock Rumlow wears equipment under his Bulletproof Vest that is meant as a reference to his attire in the comics.
- He is the fourth minor villain to be killed early into his second appearance, other three being Arnim Zola, The Other, and Wolfgang von Strucker.
Behind the Scenes
- Clay Cullen and Greg Rementer were stunt doubles for Frank Grillo in the role of Crossbones.
- Drew Pearce has written at least three drafts for future or potential Marvel One-Shots, one of which features Crossbones and Sin.
- ↑ WHIH Breaking News: Attack in Lagos
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic
- ↑ Brock Rumlow's Equipment
- ↑ Drew Pearce Teases CROSSBONES AND SIN Marvel One-Shot