- "It ain't about any of that for me anymore. I just want them to feel the pain, the loss, of everything they took from me. And make them pay for it. In blood."
- ―Brock Rumlow
Brock Rumlow was a HYDRA infiltrator who had been posing as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, and STRIKE's team field commander. Due to his training from S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA, Rumlow had become a world-class combatant, with extensive experience in street fighting, martial arts, and military combat techniques. Following the Battle of New York, Rumlow's STRIKE team had been ordered to return the Scepter to HYDRA. Following this, Rumlow followed Captain America on several missions until the HYDRA Uprising was revealed and Rumlow was ordered to lead their team and assassinate Captain America under the orders of Alexander Pierce. Eventually, all HYDRA's schemes were defeated and, during the Battle at the Triskelion, Rumlow had almost been crushed to death while fighting against Sam Wilson, suffering several horrific facial scars in the process.
Once he recovered from his injuries, Rumlow had discovered that Pierce had been killed during the battle and HYDRA was almost completely defeated. As a result, Rumlow managed to escape from the hospital he was treated in, and, constructing a Battlefield Suit, assuming a new codename of Crossbones, became an independent terrorist, setting out onto his path to make anyone involved in his downfall suffer the pain and loss he endured. During a mission within Nigeria, Crossbones had lured the Avengers into a public battle, under the guise that he was attempting to steal a biological weapon. During all of the chaos, Crossbones fought against Captain America, seeking to revenge. Although he was eventually defeated, Crossbones had performed a final suicide attack, which had killed himself and several innocent civilians as Scarlet Witch had mistakenly propelled Crossbones into a building just as he exploded.
Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Being an operative for HYDRA, Brock Rumlow was tasked to infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D. to strike from the inside at the right time. Rumlow became an agent and rose through the ranks before he was tasked to command the STRIKE unit, which put him in command of a team that had included Jack Rollins, allowing him to ensure that only HYDRA agents were part of that unit. Following Alexander Pierce and Jasper Sitwell's direct orders, Rumlow ensured that HYDRA's infiltration within S.H.I.E.L.D. went by completely unnoticed, which had then allowed them to move forward with all their plans of world domination.
In 2012, in the aftermath of the Battle of New York, Rumlow had been sent into the Stark Tower once the Chitauri had been wiped out and Loki had been apprehended by the Avengers, putting an end to the conflict. He and his men, accompanied by Jasper Sitwell, were given the God of Mischief's Scepter by Black Widow so they could take it back to S.H.I.E.L.D., but not before Black Widow and Hawkeye warned them about the dangers of the Scepter's mind control abilities, as Rumlow promised that they would be careful.
However, Rumlow had been ordered by Alexander Pierce to have the Scepter delivered to List for HYDRA. As they went down into the first floor, Sitwell had reported to Pierce that they were on a route towards List. Following the theft of the Scepter, Rumlow continued working with STRIKE, under Captain America's leadership. Rumlow went on a mission to stop Baker from stealing a Zodiac weapon, while he saved Captain America's life during the mission, while Baker escaped.
Rumlow's STRIKE team, who were led by Captain America and Black Widow, were sent on a mission to recapture the Lemurian Star, a ship which had been hijacked by the group of pirates led by Georges Batroc. As Rumlow spoke about the number of pirates to expect, Captain America made his frustrations at it being a ship controlled by Nick Fury clear, as he felt Fury should get much of the blame.
Once Rumlow had debriefed the team on all the details of their plan, Captain America gave him his orders and left the Quinjet first, leaping out into the ocean in order to silently clear the top deck on his own before the rest of the team arrived. When Jack Rollins looked on his surprise at Captain America's move he questioned if he had jumped out without his parachute, Rumlow confirmed that he had as he then attached his own parachute, impressed by the incredible jump.
Rumlow and STRIKE joined Captain America moments later, finding that he had managed to take out the vast majority of the onboard pirates that had been stationed there by Batroc on the ship without raising the alarm in a matter of mere minutes, using nothing but his Shield and S.H.I.E.L.D. fighting skills to take them out. Once Rumlow came down to the ship, he found a pirate had managed to get the drop on Captain America and held him at gunpoint.
Silently dropping onto the ship with his parachute, Rumlow had been unseen by the pirate as he proceeded to kill him with a silenced shot straight into the back of the head while joking that Captain America was clearly helpless without him. Once Captain America had thanked him for saving his life, Rumlow rejoined the rest of their STRIKE team and went to continue his mission, as they got into position, ready to go and to rescue the hostages from the rest of Batroc's pirates.
With the pathway clear, Rumlow and Rollins made their way through the ship, taking position outside the kitchen where the hostages were held, using a Taser Rod to silently knock out on the pirate who was guarding the door, as Rumlow ensured they did not make any noise. Once Captain America and Black Widow were in position and ready, Rumlow and his team killed Batroc's men and rescued the hostages, including Jasper Sitwell who had also been among the hostages.
While Rumlow and STRIKE made their escape from the ship with the hostages close behind him, he informed Captain America that Black Widow failed to meet them as he continued the drop-off. Meanwhile, Captain America personally battled Batroc who eventually gotten away after Captain America became momentarily distracted upon finding Black Widow hacking into the ship's computer system and stealing the secret intel as per Nick Fury's direct orders.
Since Nick Fury had been coming close to uncovering some key information about Project Insight and all HYDRA's secrets, it was then decided by Alexander Pierce that the Winter Soldier would be sent out to assassinate him before Rumlow and all the other undercover agents were exposed. Following this, Rumlow went to the hospital where Fury was being treated, seemingly dying on the operating table and ensuring that HYDRA's secrets were undiscovered.
While standing guard in the hospital with his STRIKE team, Rumlow had then received a call from the Triskelion and had been ordered to ensure that Steve Rogers returned to S.H.I.E.L.D. in order to debrief with Pierce about everything that he had witnessed. While Rogers had initially delayed since he and Natasha Romanoff were speaking, Rumlow insisted that they had to leave immediately. Rumlow and the STRIKE team then accompanied Rogers back to the Triskelion.
- "Whoa big guy, I just want you to know, this isn't personal!"
"It kinda feels personal."
- ―Brock Rumlow and Captain America
Since Steve Rogers' meeting with Alexander Pierce had resulted with Rogers being declared an enemy of S.H.I.E.L.D. as he had withheld key information about Nick Fury's death, Rumlow had been ordered to bring him into custody. Rumlow and the STRIKE team then coordinated a plan to capture Rogers inside an elevator as he attempted to leave the Triskelion, thereby ensuring that HYDRA's secrets were not exposed.
Stepping into the elevator with several STRIKE agents, Rumlow had greeted Rogers, attempting not to alert him to the incoming ambush. While they headed down, Rumlow spoke to Rogers to gain his trust, claiming that forensics had found evidence on the shooter for them to see, before more agents entered and gently pushed Rogers into the middle of the elevator, ready for their ambush. Rumlow noted to Rogers that he had been sorry to hear about the death of Fury.
As they were joined by Jack Rollins, Rogers had become suspicious about the situation and gave the team one chance to escape before they got started. Realizing that Rogers knew what was coming, the HYDRA agents refused the offer and attempted to recapture Rogers, using Taser Rods and Magnetic Handcuffs. As Rogers had furiously fought back against them, Rumlow managed to kick his arm against the wall, causing a Magnetic Handcuff to then lock him into place.
With Rogers pinned against the wall, Rumlow attacked him with his Taser Rods, causing him considerable pain until Rogers was able to beat him back and free himself. While Jasper Sitwell was watching the situation and sending them reinforcements, Rumlow eventually was the last man standing against Rogers, who had beaten all the other HYDRA agents unconscious. Rearming himself with his Taser Rods, Rumlow insisted that the ambush was not personal.
Despite knowing he was outmatched by Rogers, Rumlow had then proceeded to attack him, furiously swinging the Taser Rods at him and managing to strike Rogers into the stomach twice, causing him considerable pain. However, Rogers swiftly regained control of the situation and punched Rumlow hard in the head, before throwing him up into the ceiling of the elevator, knocking Rumlow unconscious, as Rogers had then made his successful escape from the facility.
Losing his Target
- "Give me a floor rundown."
"Negative on three."
"Snake the upper levels, work down to me."
- ―Brock Rumlow and STRIKE Agent
Following their humiliating defeat, Rumlow led the ensuing manhunt for Steve Rogers under the orders of Alexander Pierce. Before long, Rumlow and his team had been able to track Rogers down to a mall in Washington, D.C. where he and Natasha Romanoff had activated a flash drive with a tracker on it. Seeking to take down Rogers, Rumlow soon arrived at the mall with his STRIKE team including Jack Rollins, all eager to gain revenge of their defeat in the elevator.
As the STRIKE agents searched the mall, it was confirmed by Rollins that Rogers and Romanoff had already left the shop where they had activated the hard-drive, learning all about Zola's Algorithm. Rumlow confirmed that the other HYDRA agents did not have a visual on their targets, as he personally searched for them. Having failed to notice a kissing couple going past him, Rumlow finally accepted that Rogers and Romanoff had successfully managed to escape their hunt.
Calling the Winter Soldier
As their hunt for the fugitives continued, Rumlow had gained word that Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff had been located while they were at Camp Lehigh, where they had been attempting to gain information about their scheme out of Arnim Zola's computer hard-drive, which was located at the camp. Learning this, Alexander Pierce then destroyed the camp with a missile in an attempt to kill them and ordered Rumlow to search the area in order to confirm that they had been killed.
Rumlow and his STRIKE team then explored the remains of the area, looking through the rubble for their corpses and discovered a pair of shoeprints, showing him that Rogers and Romanoff had survived the destruction of the camp and had managed to escape. Upon seeing this, Rumlow reported back to his HYDRA superiors and told them to call in the Winter Soldier, believing that he would be the only one who would be able to take out their targets following this latest failure.
Capturing Captain America
- "Three holes, start digging."
- ―Brock Rumlow to Jack Rollins
Rumlow's plans to call in the Winter Soldier proved to be successful, as the Soldier tracked them down during their interrogation of Jasper Sitwell and then forced them into the open. Once their fugitives were cornered, Rumlow and his STRIKE teams then charged forwards and had managed to swiftly capture Steve Rogers, together with Natasha Romanoff and Sam Wilson on the streets of Washington, D.C. following their prolonged fight with the Winter Soldier, who had just managed to escape.
As Rumlow and his team surrounded the three with their guns drawn, he noticed Jack Rollins attempting to execute Rogers by shooting him in the back of his head, due to Rollins' fury over their humiliating defeat at the Triskelion. However, before Rollins could shoot, Rumlow saw a news helicopter watching overhead and ordered him to stop and wait until they were clear of the media, as he instead continued handcuffing Rogers and put his captives in the back of their van.
Rumlow then took their captives to a secure location to execute them free of any other media interference. As they stepped from their van, Rumlow turned to some of his team as he ordered them to dig three graves for Rogers, Romanoff, and Wilson. Rumlow and Rollins led a team to the van and opened the doors with their guns drawn, only to find that Rogers and his team had just escaped with help from Maria Hill and a Mouse Hole device to cut their way through the vehicle.
Torturing Winter Soldier
Having failed again to kill their targets, Rumlow and Jack Rollins had brought Alexander Pierce to the Ideal Federal Savings Bank to begin their questioning of the Winter Soldier, who was seemingly having a mental breakdown, as he then attacked the scientists who were attempting to fix his Prosthetic Arm, forcing Rollins and the guards to hold him at gunpoint.
Ignoring the warnings from the scientists, Rumlow acted as Pierce's personal bodyguard once he began questioning the Winter Soldier, demanding a mission report of the recent battle. Rumlow watched on as Pierce beat the Winter Soldier for not answering until the Soldier questioned who Steve Rogers was. Although Pierce tried to dismiss the question, noting he encountered him when he shot Nick Fury, the Solider had insisted that he had actually known Rogers somehow.
Rumlow had watched closely while Pierce demanded that the Winter Soldier refocus so HYDRA could achieve their goals and put Project Insight into effect. However, the Winter Solider still insisted that he had known Rogers, causing Pierce to order that he be placed back into the Memory Suppressing Machine so that his memories could be wiped once again. As the Winter Soldier then screamed in agony, Rumlow left their facility with Pierce to continue with their plans.
Having been stationed back at the Triskelion, Rumlow was alerted to the return of Captain America when he had gone onto their speaker-systems and then alerted all the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in the Triskelion of HYDRA's infiltration, as well as Alexander Pierce's plans. Rumlow then stormed into the Triskelion's control room to ensure that everything went to plan.
Rumlow ordered Cameron Klein to launch all the Insight Helicarriers, only to find that Klein was clearly unsure about what he should do, as Captain America had exposed STRIKE as HYDRA. Questioning if he had a problem with his orders to launch the Helicarriers, Rumlow was then told by Klein that he would not launch them, as he was following Captain America's orders, as Rumlow responded by holding a gun to the back of Klein's head, before then ordering him to step aside.
However, Rumlow was then threatened by Sharon Carter, who aimed her gun at Rumlow's head and had expressed her loyalty to Captain America, leading to multiple S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA agents to draw their weapons in a tense standoff. Rumlow told Carter and Klein that they had chosen the wrong side in this conflict, but found that Carter was unwavering, as she held her gun to his head, forcing Rumlow to eventually drop his gun, as he seemingly surrendered their fight.
However, the moment Rumlow sensed that Carter had lowered her defenses, he swiftly drew a hidden blade and slashed her across the arm, forcing Carter to drop her gun, which Rumlow had caught and immediately gunned down several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. As a gunfight broke out, Rumlow attempted to execute Klein, only for Carter to kick Klein out of the way. In the middle of all the chaos, Rumlow managed to get onto the computers and launched the Insight Helicarriers.
With the Helicarriers being launched, Rumlow got back onto his feet and continued shooting at the remaining S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Carter had also managed to rearm herself as she then furiously shot back at Rumlow, who managed to use all the chaos to run towards the door, avoiding all the gunshots and making his way through the Triskelion, seeking to ensure that nothing else stood in their way of completing HYDRA's goal to wipe out all of their future enemies in one sweep.
As he made his way through the Triskelion during the battle, Rumlow had managed to kill several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, using his knife and disarming various agents to take their weapons and shoot others. He received the call informing him that Black Widow and Nick Fury had attacked and captured Pierce. Knowing that the capture of Pierce put Project Insight at risk of being stopped, Rumlow had then made it his priority to protect Pierce so HYDRA's plans could go underway.
Showdown with Sam Wilson
As he went to protect Alexander Pierce from being arrested, Rumlow was cornered and ambushed by Sam Wilson. However, he was soon able to knock Wilson to the ground with a head-butt. Rumlow prepared for a long fight and told Wilson that their fight was going to hurt as HYDRA did not take any prisoners, while bragging that Wilson was out of his depth in challenging him, smugly asking Wilson if he was even ready for the pain which Rumlow planned on inflicting.
Growing tired of Rumlow's bragging about his views about HYDRA's world view, Wilson simply told him to shut up as they began to fight, as they furiously charged at each other and exchanging blows. While the battle between Captain America and the Winter Soldier raged on the Project Insight Helicarriers, Rumlow had eventually managed to gain the upper hand against Wilson, due to his rough and dirty style of fighting, as he managed to throw Wilson across the room.
Believing that he had gained the upper hand against Wilson, Rumlow had then leaped onto the table and looked down on his enemy, who was struggling to get back onto his feet, following his fight against Rumlow. With full confidence about HYDRA's superiority, Rumlow had then begun taunting Wilson that he was out of his depth with his attempt to fight against HYDRA as he looked down upon bleeding and almost defeated Wilson who was now lying on the ground.
However, while Rumlow smugly prepared to kill his enemy, he did not spot the incoming Helicarrier IN-01, which had been damaged during their battle and was heading straight for them. Seeing Wilson had spotted something behind him and had turned and ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction, Rumlow turned and saw the danger, but not until it was unfortunately too late and it crashed straight into the side of the Triskelion directly behind the horrified Rumlow.
Rumlow attempted to flee but was soon knocked over and crushed by the crumbling building as the bricks and flames trapped his body under the rubble and nearly killed him. Rumlow, however, somehow managed to survive despite being badly wounded, gaining horrific facial and body scars, and was taken away by medics. The incident had also left Rumlow almost completely immune to pain and with a hatred for Captain America whom he blamed for his terrible injuries.
Turning Against HYDRA
- "I didn't do this for HYDRA. You want in on this next job, you better leave all that shit at the door."
In the wake of the battle at the Triskelion, Rumlow spent a long time recovering from his injuries. Months later, Rumlow had watched a report on the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. from his hospital bed, and had also learned Alexander Pierce had been killed during the conflict. Having become disillusioned and furious at HYDRA's defeat, Rumlow then proceeded to assault his nurse and escaped from the hospital. Seeking to find his new purpose, following the downfall of HYDRA, Rumlow became a mercenary and began robbing police stations over various countries.
As news outlets, including WHiH World News and The Daily reported on his actions, Rumlow took on the name Crossbones, and focused on revenge against Captain America. In 2016, recovering some items from S.H.I.E.L.D. in order to draw out HYDRA, Crossbones opened fire to send a message while getting satisfaction by subjecting them to the pain he suffered. Having now regained the Avengers' attention, Crossbones went to Lagos, Nigeria to set up a deadly ambush.
- "We're not gonna outrun them, lose the truck."
"Where are you going to meet us?"
- ―Crossbones and Mercenary
Crossbones had assembled his group of mercenaries and organized the theft of a biological agent at an Institute for Infectious Diseases laboratory in Lagos, Nigeria, where he intended to sell it to either the Ten Rings or HYDRA, whoever was willing to pay more. Crossbones' men drove their truck through the entrance before opening fire, filling the building with poisonous gas, while Crossbones walked inside the building, wearing his Battlefield Suit and a gas mask.
While several men stood guard outside to protect against any further attacks, Crossbones and another mercenary had proceeded to make their way through the building, with other soldiers taking control of every floor, wearing their own gasmasks to protect from the gas that had killed the building's entire security staff. Using his Weaponized Gauntlets, Crossbones smashed through several walls with ease until he had found the chemical weapon, ordering his men to bag it up.
However, they were soon confronted by the Avengers who interfered and fended off his mercenaries, before seeking Crossbones out. As Crossbones stepped outside, he witnessed Scarlet Witch sucking all the poison gas out of the building, indicating that the Avengers had arrived to stop their plans, as Crossbones had delighted at the idea that Captain America would be leading the Avengers and would give Crossbones his chance at revenge following their Triskelion battle.
With only limited time remaining for them to complete their mission, Crossbones and his team then quickly made their way downstairs by using a wire, while Captain America was still in the building searching for him and his soldiers, learning that they had stolen the biological weapon. However, Crossbones soon found Black Widow as she was attacking his men and charged at her, grabbing her by the hair before dragging her backwards, into a scuffle atop an armored truck.
Black Widow had soon freed herself and fought against the merciless terrorist, proving herself to be the superior fighter as she was able to avoid all of Crossbones' strikes, while countering with serveal hits to his chest and head, with Crossbones' Battlefield Suit protecting him. However, Crossbones managed to grab Black Widow by the hair, as he dragged her backwards, before she had responded by attempting to electrocute him with one of her Taser Disks on his exposed neck.
Crossbones, however, informed her that he did not feel pain like that anymore, due to his injuries from the Battle at the Triskelion, before locking her inside a tank and dropping a grenade in with her. Leaving some of his own men inside the vehicle as well, Crossbones moved to another armored car, while Black Widow had barely managed to escape by using one of the mercenaries as a human shield to protect her from the deadly explosion, despite causing her great pain.
Crossbones and his remaining mercenaries then got in their armored vehicle and Crossbones took control of the main gun, aiming it at the IFID building just as Captain America was exciting to hunt down the terrorist and regain the stolen biological weapon. While the Captain attempted to escape, Crossbones continued to fire at his enemy until eventually, he was able to shoot him out of the building where he fell several floors down to the ground, while Crossbones drove away.
They attempted to escape their attackers while Falcon hunted them down, as Crossbones gave the chemical weapon to one of his men to take to the airport before ordering them to ditch the armored truck since they would never outrun them, knowing that Falcon's EXO-7 Falcon was faster than their truck. They crashed and departed, with each of the soldiers running in a different direction without their gear, hoping to mislead the Avengers and escape with the weapon.
As one of these mercenaries had asked where Crossbones would be meeting them, Crossbones then made it clear that he knew he would die during this fight against Captain America. Before long, all the men had been killed and their biological weapon had been safely secured and taken away by Redwing, preventing any potential terrorist attack. However, Crossbones was less concerned about this failure, than he was about locating Captain America and gaining his revenge.
Duel with Captain America
During the chaos, Crossbones then managed to get behind Captain America and threw a magnetic bomb onto his shield, forcing Captain America to throw it aside to avoid the bomb killing innocent lives. As he was distracted by the explosion, Crossbones then ran up to Captain America and then struck him in the back with his Weaponized Gauntlet, causing him to smash through several tables as Crossbones chased after him.
As Captain America got back onto his feet, Crossbones reloaded his Gauntlet and had struck him again, commenting on how he had been waiting to have a rematch against his former STRIKE teammate. As he used his Battlefield Suit to enhance his strength, Crossbones then smashed his foot onto the ground and threw multiple punches, trying to land a final crippling blow against Captain America. As he became frustrated, Crossbones struck Captain America with a headbutt.
Crossbones then struck Captain America with his Gauntlet, sending him flying backwards, as Crossbones refused to stop and continued swinging hard punches against his enemy, which Captain America struggled to block. Taking full advantage of the situation, Crossbones then pinned Captain America against a wall, noting that all this pain would be his revenge for him having dropped the Triskelion on top of him with a Helicarrier, as Crossbones then drew a hidden blade.
However, when Crossbones attempted to impale Captain America in the face with the blade, the strike was avoided and the Gauntlet was smashed into the wall, trapping Crossbones' arm, which had allowed Captain America to knock Crossbones back as he tore the Gauntlet from his arm. When Crossbones then drew his second hidden blade from the second Gauntlet, Captain America proceeded to avoid both strikes from the blade, as he had countered Crossbones' attacks.
As Captain America had proceeded to land several swift strikes and heavy against Crossbones' head and body, he then took advantage of Crossbones being momentarily stunned by the heavy blows and proceeded to strike him across the face with his hard kick, sending Crossbones flying backwards. As Crossbones landed onto the table, his helmet was now badly damaged, finally ending the conflict, once Crossbones was now too heavily beaten to continue fighting.
Having taken too hard of a beating, Crossbones accepted defeat and had remained on his knees, removing his damaged helmet while he awaited his confrontation. With Crossbones defeated, Captain America had demanded Rumlow to reveal for who he was working for, only for Crossbones to instead notice Captain America looking at all his heavy facial scars he had gained from their Triskelion battle.
While Crossbones noted that these facial scars could have been a lot worse, he then commented that the Winter Soldier had remembered his old friend, intending to use Captain America's emotions against him. Seeing that this worked, Crossbones kept claiming that Bucky Barnes had remembered Captain America, claiming that Barnes had gotten emotional about it before HYDRA had scrambled his brain by putting him back inside of the Memory Suppressing Machine.
Crossbones continued claiming that the Winter Soldier had given him a message to give to Captain America, claiming that when he had to go, he had to go, and that he would take Captain America with him. With Captain America distracted by all the stories about his closest friend's terrible suffering, Crossbones then armed the hidden bomb applied within his Battlefield Suit, as he had intended to take Captain America's life along with his own inside of the massive explosion.
Just as Crossbones activated a bomb, Scarlet Witch used her power to contain the explosion as Crossbones screamed in horrific anguish as his body was consumed inside the fireball. She was able to whisk his exploding body from Captain America but unintentionally placed him by the building filled with social workers from Wakanda. Among those who perished within this resulting explosion was Crossbones, since the Scarlet Witch could not contain the deadly explosion.
That attack on Lagos, and Crossbones' catastrophic suicide bombing that had killed several civilians, was then deemed to be a public relations disaster and with divided opinions on the Avengers after the Battle of Sokovia, confirmed the Sokovia Accords in hopes of preventing any similar conflicts, supported by T'Chaka and various other world leaders. Part of Crossbones' Battlefield Suit was found in the aftermath of his fight in Lagos, as the Tinkerer took it and made Weaponized Gauntlets for Jackson Brice, before they were given to Shocker.
In an alternate 2012, Rumlow, alongside Jasper Sitwell, Jack Rollins and the rest of the STRIKE team, had taken possession of the Scepter after the Battle of New York. They then made their way to the elevator to deliver it to Dr. List, but were intercepted by Steve Rogers, unaware he was from 2023.
Sitwell and Rumlow gave the STRIKE team cues to arm their weapons, believing that Rogers' presence could sabotage their covers as HYDRA operatives. Even after Rogers claimed that Alexander Pierce sent him to claim the Scepter, Rumlow refused to hand it over to him. When Sitwell threatened to contact Nick Fury, Rogers uttered "Hail HYDRA" in Sitwell's ear to "confirm" he was a HYDRA operative, shocking both Rumlow and Sitwell. While nonetheless still in moderate disbelief, Rumlow handed Rogers the Scepter, who then proceeded to leave them behind in the elevator with nothing to deliver.
- "I'm a soldier. I knew death was a possibility when I signed up. It ain't exactly a secret. And I'm okay with dyin' for a cause I believe in."
- ―Brock Rumlow
Originally, Rumlow was extremely loyal to HYDRA, as well as being slightly cocky, like when he saved Steve Rogers aboard the Lemurian Star. He was greatly impressed with Rogers' abilities as a soldier, such as when Rogers jumped from a Quinjet without a parachute. He had a strong attitude, as well as a tendency to go to extreme lengths to do things, like when he threatened to kill Cameron Klein if he did not launch the Project Insight Helicarriers.
As for when he took up the Crossbones alias, Rumlow was unpredictable, unapologetic, vicious, arrogant, ruthless and murderous. Following his escape from the hospital, Rumlow completely abandoned HYDRA's ideals, quickly becoming obsessed with only one thing - revenge.
Rumlow was carelessly willing to sacrifice two of his men to kill Black Widow with a grenade and brutally attacked Captain America with no remorse. When he was finally defeated, he didn't hesitate to blow himself up if that meant that his enemies would die with him. However, before his death, Rumlow was proven to be an extremely sadistic person as he lied to Rogers about the latter meeting with Bucky Barnes, when he taunted him, Rumlow seemed to be enjoying from the thing.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Strength: Harnessing the hydraulic functions of his specialized gauntlets, Rumlow gained superhuman strength. They boosted his physical attributes enough that he was even a match for Captain America.
- "I don't work like that no more."
- ―Crossbones to Black Widow
- Nigh-Pain Immunity: When he was severely burned, Rumlow's pain receptors were damaged, resulting in him being almost completely immune to pain. When Black Widow had attempted to electrocute him with her gauntlets, Crossbones informed her that he did not feel pain the way he had done before, yet he still screamed in pain once his suicide vest went off, and the blast was contained against his body by Scarlet Witch.
"Yeah, you seemed pretty helpless without me."
- ―Captain America and Brock Rumlow
- Expert Tactician: Due to his military training, Rumlow is a highly trained strategist with extensive knowledge in warfare and military combatants. After abandoning HYDRA, Rumlow was able to stay ahead of the Avengers and law enforcement for six months. He was able to swiftly escape various scenes where he had staged heists or attacks. When he and his mercenaries planned to storm the Institute for Infectious Diseases laboratory in Lagos, Rumlow used a garbage truck to break into the area to avoid suspicion. He is also an effective combat strategist; before taking on Captain America singlehandedly, he disarmed him of his most useful weapon by attaching an explosive on his shield, prompting him to discard it in order to protect the surrounding bystanders.
- "This is gonna hurt."
- ―Brock Rumlow to Sam Wilson
- Master Combatant: Rumlow is a formidable hand-to-hand combatant. His fighting style seemed to comprise of Boxing, Krav Maga, Karate, Jujitsu, Judo, Taekwondo, and Kali. He was able to evade the knives thrown by one of the men in Baker's terrorist cell and easily defeat him, able to fight evenly against Black Widow, and hold his own against Captain America for the longest when the whole STRIKE team tried to subdue him, though he was ultimately defeated. He also dominated Falcon in their fight and mocked him for being in a superior fighting level, as Wilson only hit Rumlow when he ambushed him. Whilst in his Battlefield Suit Rumlow managed to defeat Black Widow and go toe to toe against Captain America a super-soldier with reflexes faster than any human.
- Knife Mastery: Rumlow is highly skilled at using a knife in combat. This is seen when he quickly drew his knife and disarmed Sharon Carter before she could react. Later, he killed several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents with a knife and gun combination. As Crossbones, he used his gauntlets' retractable blades during his fight with Captain America, with the latter managing to dodge his quick stabs and slashes, due to his enhanced reflexes.
- Master Marksman: Rumlow is an accomplished marksman in sharpshooting, being able to, among other things, shoot a rope with a crossbow to catch Captain America to prevent him from falling from a building, or accurately land a single shot to a target's head while parachuting.
- Spy: Rumlow managed to hide his true identity as a HYDRA sleeper agent from S.H.I.E.L.D., forming a partnership with Captain America and Black Widow in the process.
- Assassin: Rumlow is highly skilled in taking out his targets, as seen when he coordinated a simultaneous shooting of pirates with his S.T.R.I.K.E. team to rescue hostages. He even ambushed other S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, taking them out in quick succession during the Battle at the Triskelion.
- Taser Rod: While attempting to capture Captain America, Rumlow and his STRIKE team used Taser Rods to weaken the super soldier and arrest him. However, they quickly learned that the Rods were not strong enough to stop Captain Rogers and he escaped.
- Tactical Knife: Rumlow quickly drew this knife to disarm Sharon Carter of her gun. He later used this knife in conjunction with a gun to kill other S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
- Benchmade SOCP Dagger: Rumlow had this knife holstered on the left shoulder of his armor when operating as Crossbones, though he was never seen using it.
- SIG-Sauer P226 Super Capacity Tactical: Rumlow's personal handgun during his career as a STRIKE operative. He carried it while looking for Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff in a mall in Washington, D.C. He also used it to threaten Cameron Klein inside the Triskelion, but he was forced to drop the weapon.
- SIG Sauer P226: A regular handgun that Rumlow had to use after losing his custom handgun. Rumlow obtained this pistol from a deceased S.H.I.E.L.D. agent while navigating inside the Triskelion to ensure HYDRA's plans.
- Glock 19: The Glock 19 pistol is the standard sidearm carried by STRIKE operatives, and, as such, Rumlow carried it as his main sidearm during missions. He used it to threaten Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and Natasha Romanoff in Washington, D.C., right before capturing them following a confrontation against the Winter Soldier.
- FNX-45 Tactical: Sharon Carter's weapon of choice. Rumlow disarmed her and took the gun for himself to escape from loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agents inside the Helicarrier Control Room at the Triskelion.
- Desert Eagle Mark XIX: Rumlow dual-wielded these pistols during an assault on a police station in Nigeria. He was photographed during the attack, and his image wielding the guns appeared in a newspaper photograph.
- Kel-Tec KSG: Crossbones carried this shotgun in his Attack on the IFID Headquarters in case he needed it to dispatch remaining security staff, but he quickly discarded it as he entered into the building.
- M4A1 Carbine: The standard weapon used by S.H.I.E.L.D. Strike Team members, that Rumlow used while trying to capture Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff in Camp Lehigh.
- Steyr AUG A3: A bullpup assault rifle that Rumlow carried on a mission to retake the Lemurian Star and liberate hostages inside. He used it even before landing on the ship, killing a pirate that was about to attack Captain America and navigated with it inside the ship.
- Mk 19 Grenade Launcher: Crossbones seized control of one of the armored trucks stationed at the IFID Headquarters, and manned its weapon in order to shoot grenades at Captain America in an effort to kill him. Despite the grenades did not kill him, they managed to knock him out of the building.
- M67 Grenade: Rumlow carried these grenades attached to his Battlefield Suit, and dropped one of them inside an IFID armored truck once he trapped Natasha Romanoff inside, in order to try to kill her.
- Magnetic Bomb: An advanced explosive that was capable of attaching to magnetic surfaces before detonating. During the skirmish with the Avengers in Lagos, Rumlow threw this bomb onto Captain America's Shield, forcing Rogers to throw the shield away to prevent civilian casualties while allowing Rumlow to attack Rogers by surprise.
- Bulletproof Vest: Rumlow wore a bulletproof vest during his time as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent for protection during missions.
- Scepter: Rumlow had taken possession of the Scepter after the Battle of New York. While Rumlow and his STRIKE team made their way to the elevator to deliver it to Doctor List, they were were intercepted by Captain America, who persuaded them to give up the Scepter.
- Battlefield Suit: In the aftermath of the HYDRA Uprising and when he became a mercenary, Rumlow began wearing a specialized body armor alongside a standard tactical combat suit, outfitted with multiple hand explosives. Rumlow also wore a helmet, which served to hide his facial scars.
- Weaponized Gauntlets: Crossbones wears specialized gauntlets that have hydraulic functions that grant him superhuman strength. They boosted his physical attributes enough that he was even a match for Captain America, who is a super-soldier. The gauntlets also have large retractable blades hidden inside.
- Explosive Vest: Crossbones' suit contained a hidden explosive vest, designed to be used as a last resort against his opponents. After being defeated in battle by Captain America, Rumlow activated the vest, intending to take Captain America with him, but Scarlet Witch intervened and moved the explosion away - but at the cost of 11 Wakandan relief workers.
- Gas Mask: Rumlow utilized a gas mask to protect himself from the toxic gas his mercenaries used to clear the IFID Headquarters.
- Triskelion: During his time as an undercover HYDRA operative, Rumlow worked at S.H.I.E.L.D.'s primary headquarters, the Triskelion. While operating there, he led S.H.I.E.L.D.'s STRIKE unite, even having a confrontation with Captain America in a failed attempt to capture him. Rumlow was in the Triskelion when a Helicarrier collided with it, destroying the building, and resulting in his physical deformation.
|Appearances for Brock Rumlow|
In chronological order:
- In the comics, Crossbones is the Red Skull's subordinate who had become romantically involved with his daughter Sin.
- He is the fourth minor villain to be killed during his second appearance, other three being Arnim Zola, The Other and Wolfgang von Strucker.
Behind the Scenes
- Early drafts of the Captain America: The Winter Soldier script had Brock Rumlow as a different character, but the filmmakers wanted to plant seeds for his Crossbones persona as like Batroq the Leaper, the significance of his character goes unnoticed to those who don't know the source material.
- Drew Pearce has written at least three drafts for future or potential Marvel One-Shots, one of which features Crossbones and Sin.
- Clay Cullen and Greg Rementer were stunt doubles for Frank Grillo in the role of Crossbones.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic
- ↑ Marvel Studios Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Spider-Man: Homecoming
- ↑ Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Audio Commentary
- ↑ Drew Pearce Teases CROSSBONES AND SIN Marvel One-Shot