|For alternate versions of Classic Loki, see Classic Loki's Character Hub|
Loki Laufeyson was a variant of Loki who survived Thanos' assault on the Statesman. In the aftermath of the Infinity War, Classic Loki lived on an isolated planet for centuries before attempting to reunite with Thor, although he was pruned by the Time Variance Authority and sent to the Void. After meeting another Loki Variant and Sylvie Laufeydottir, Classic Loki sacrificed his life distracting Alioth in order to save them, and was consumed by the beast.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Behind the Scenes
- 10 References
- 11 External Links
Faking His Death
Loki's life was exactly the same as his original timeline counterpart, up until when Thanos boarded the Statesman. In this timeline, Loki diverged from the main timeline of his original self, who had his neck snapped by Thanos after he attempted to stab Thanos with his dagger. Instead, Loki used his magic to cast an illusion of himself while he hid as inanimate debris. His illusion was subsequently killed in his place as Classic Thanos destroyed the Statesman.
Now drifting through space, with Thanos and Thor believing he was dead, Loki thought about his place in the universe and how he caused pain and suffering to everyone he came across. Feeling remorse for his actions, Loki exiled himself on an isolated planet, believing that he was making a positive change by removing himself from the world. After many years, he found himself missing Asgard and his brother, and decided to end his exile and reunite with Thor. However, his attempt to end his isolation would cause his timeline to deviate from the established baseline of the Sacred Timeline, therefore, he was immediately arrested by the Time Variance Authority, who pruned him and his reality which sent him to the Void. There, he met Boastful Loki, Kid Loki, and Alligator Loki, accepted Kid Loki as their king while continuously running from Alioth.
Trapped in the Void
Meeting Alternate Self
While in the Void, Classic Loki, along with Kid Loki, Boastful Loki, and Alligator Loki came across a Loki variant. When Loki asked if he was in Hel, Classic Loki said no, but to come with them if he wanted to live.
After walking around with Loki for a long time to take them to their hiding place, Loki began to question while screaming why he had never tried to escape from the Void before, which caused Alioth to hear them and the other Lokis to shut Loki up to avoid getting noticed. Loki later told them that they could plan an escape, but Classic Loki told him that that it was impossible, since he had already tried many times before.
The Lokis led Loki to their hiding place to be safe from Alioth. The group entered through a secret bunker protected by a metal door. Upon arrival, Classic Loki questioned why he longed so much to return to the Time Variance Authority, to which Loki replied by saying that it was his "Glorious purpose".
The group of Lokis began to tell their stories and how they were pruned. Classic Loki heard how Boastful Loki bragged and deceived the others, claiming that he had murdered Captain America and Iron Man, and then took the Infinity Stones. After hearing Boastful Loki's false story, Classic Loki proceeded to tell the story of his capture by the TVA to them.
When Loki decided to leave the group to go on his own to assassinate Alioth he tried to motivate them to accompany him, without success as Classic Loki and the others laughed at the idea of facing Alioth. However, just as Loki was about to leave, a troop of bandits led by President Loki appeared in front of him and cornered the group.
Classic Loki at first reprimanded Loki, believing that he lured the gang to them, but Boastful Loki revealed himself to be the culprit for the attack, explaining that he agreed with President Loki to keep the throne of Kid Loki, in exchange for shelter and food. Alligator Loki then appeared on the scene and attacked President Loki, completely ripping off his hand, thus initiating a fight between all the Lokis. Observing the destruction of his hiding place, Classic Loki decided to create illusions of him, Kid Loki, Alligator Loki, and Loki to distract the others in order to escape, using a portal created by himself to leave the place.
Going after Alioth
After fleeing the battle of the Lokis, Loki continued to pressure them to help him escape the Void and reach the TVA. Kid Loki then accepted, so Classic Loki followed and reluctantly accepted but he warned him that they would only help him get to Alioth, but not face him, since that would be suicide. Arriving close to Alioth, Loki commented on the idea of his plan, to enter Alioth, find its center and stab it. Suddenly, the USS Eldridge appeared in front of them, taking advantage of it as an experiment to prove their theory. However, Classic Loki and the others watched as Alioth totally devoured the ship and killed every one of the crew in mere seconds.
Classic Loki and the rest began to question their decision to go after Alioth. A car then started to head towards them, from which came Sylvie Laufeydottir, a female variant of Loki, and Mobius M. Mobius, a former TVA agent. Loki introduced Classic Loki, Kid Loki, and Alligator Loki to the new pruners. After discussing how they would face Alioth, Sylvie finally agreed to go to enchant him and thus find the man who had created the TVA to defeat him.
The group settled in an abandoned warehouse to plan their next move, where Mobius denied having captured an alligator variant of Loki before, questioning whether it was really a variant of Loki. After Kid Loki asked him what he would do after returning to TVA, Mobius replied that he wishes everyone there knew the truth, stating that it is never too late to change oneself, making Classic Loki reflect on his current situation.
- "Glorious purpose!"
- ―Classic Loki[src]
The group again gathered on a cliff in front of Alioth, ready to destroy him. Sylvie and Loki planned to get close to Alioth to enchant him. However, as Classic Loki said, he was only going to take them to Alioth, so he said goodbye to his variants and left the place along with Kid Loki and Alligator Loki.
Later Classic Loki observed Loki and Sylvie battling Alioth, he also saw how Loki was going to use himself as a distraction. After watching as Sylvie was nearly eaten, Classic Loki began to help them, using the full potential of his power to create a perfect magical illusion of Asgard in order to distract Alioth enough so that the other two Lokis gained the upper hand.
After using his maximum power and due to his advanced age, Classic Loki began to weaken to such a degree that he collapsed his mega illusion, which allowed Alioth to enter his perimeter. Before he was eaten, Classic Loki recalled Mobius's words, rediscovering that it is never too late to change and gain his glorious purpose. Alioth's toxic cloud approached Classic Loki, with him could only smiling and laughing maniacally, knowing that he would sacrifice himself for the greater good.
Classic Loki disdained using his blades, claiming that it hindered their magical potential. Just like original timeline Loki, Classic Loki loves his family, as noted when he chose to leave the planet he resided in for thousands of years to find his brother, Thor, because he missed him. Classic Loki seems to no longer care about having power and control over others, being much more humble as he fully acknowledged Kid Loki as King of the Void; thus, the elderly Loki had showed visible frustration over his younger adult variants, call them "animals" for retaining their negative sociopathic habits of lying, cheating, and betraying every person that trusts them for the constant vain obsession of obtaining "glorious power."
Powers and Abilities
- Frost Giant Physiology: Classic Loki was a Frost Giant who had been enchanted to look like an Asgardian. Due to his heritage, Classic Loki possessed all of the various superhuman attributes common among his people, including superhuman strength, durability, speed, agility, stamina, reflexes, healing, and was extremely long-lived, as well as the ability to manipulate ice.
- Superhuman Strength: Like all Frost Giants, Classic Loki possessed great superhuman strength, numerous times stronger than any normal human being.
- Superhuman Durability: Classic Loki's body was numerous times more resistant to physical and energy damage than any normal human being. He was able to survive in the vacuum of space after the Statesman explosion.
- Superhuman Speed: Classic Loki could run and move at great superhuman speed, much faster than any normal human being.
- Superhuman Agility: Classic Loki naturally possessed far greater agility, equilibrium, flexibility, dexterity, balance, and body coordination than any normal human being.
- Superhuman Stamina: Classic Loki's advanced musculature produced considerably fewer fatigue toxins during physical activity than any normal human being. His endurance allowed him to exercise his maximum capacity for an extremely long period of time without tiring at all.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Classic Loki could react and dodge objects traveling at high speeds, much quicker than any normal human being.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his body's resistance, Classic Loki could still be injured like any other Frost Giant. However, his metabolism enabled him to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissue with far greater speed and efficiency than any normal human being.
- Longevity: Classic Loki, like all other Frost Giants, were extremely long-lived beings, he aged at a pace far slower than any normal human being, being able to live for thousands of years.
- Cold Immunity: Due to his Frost Giant physiology, Classic Loki was immune to cold.
- "Take no offense, my friends, but blades are worthless in the face of a Loki sorcery."
- ―Classic Loki[src]
- Master Sorcerer: Like his original counterpart, Classic Loki is a powerful and skilled sorcerer, capable of using magic to cast spells. Classic Loki was a master Asgardian sorcerer who specialized in trickery. Unlike other Variants however, Classic Loki placed more emphasis on his sorcery than his bladework and was therefore a far more powerful wizard than an average Loki. His magical feats were looked upon by others as seemingly impossible, and other Lokis believed his sorcerous skills to be the pinnacle of what a Loki could be capable of. Therefore, his magic seems to be far more developed than the other variants as he was able to create a massive illusion of Asgard to fool Alioth.
- Telekinesis: Classic Loki was able to influence objects and move matter with mere gestures and focus. He notably was able to open the door to the underground bunker where the Lokis were hiding with a wave of his hand, briefly causing it to glow green.
- Energy Projection: Classic Loki can project green energy bolts and blasts, allowing him to strike, push, or blow away his targets. The blasts are powerful enough to repel and stun other Lokis. Such is his mastery of this skill he can even cast energy blasts through his projections, though with reduced accuracy.
- Illusion Manipulation: Classic Loki can generate extremely detailed images from outside oneself, which are perceptible in the external world. The illusions of this Loki are stronger than those of the other Lokis because he managed to create such a realistic illusion that he managed to fool Thanos from his timeline before hiding as inanimate debris. His strength is so great that he was even able to make duplicates of his allies that could contend with other Lokis in battle. He even managed to create a large-scale illusion of Asgard with which he mumbled Alioth long enough for Loki and Sylvie to thrall him.
- Duplication Casting: Classic Loki was capable of conjuring duplicates of living entities that could interact with their environment. He created duplicates of himself, his time-traveller counterpart, Kid Loki, and Alligator Loki to fight and distract the hostile Lokis.
- Presence Concealment: Classic Loki was able to render himself and others unseen and unheard to whomever he wanted. This effect could be achieved both through him creating the illusion of letting light waves pass through himself or as simply a trick of the mind, similar to hypnosis.
- Portal Creation: Classic Loki was able to create portals that allowed him to travel from one place to another in an instant. These manifest as a green mist that allow him and others to instantly move from one area of space to another. As demonstrated by his inability to escape the Void, Classic Loki's teleportation only allowed him to travel through space and not through time.
- Multilingualism: Classic Loki was fluent in his native Asgardian, as well as English and Alligator.
- Horned Helmet: Classic Loki possesses a golden horned helmet.
- Loki Palace: While in the Void, Classic Loki lived in the Loki Palace next to Kid Loki, Alligator Loki and Boastful Loki.
- Classic Loki's outfit is a reference to Loki's original one from the Prime Marvel comics.
Behind the Scenes
- Loki writer Michael Waldron conceived the Classic Loki character upon asking what would have happened had Loki survived the events of Avengers: Infinity War and speculating how Loki would have aged.
- Dave Cutler was a stunt double for Richard E. Grant in the role of Classic Loki.