|For other uses, see Centipede (disambiguation)|
The Centipede Serum is a chemical compound created by Raina and the Centipede Project in an attempt to recreate the Super Soldier Serum. It gives its users enhanced strength, and is the source of the powers for the Centipede Soldiers. An upgraded version containing Jiaying's regenerative cells was used by John Garrett and Daisy Johnson.
Desiring a way to keep himself alive, John Garrett ordered the creation of the serum. To this end, he developed Project Centipede. Raina, a talented scientist involved in the Project, combined various sources that were known to create superpowers or give unearthly attributes and created a version of the serum. Garrett's serum possessed an additional element in the form of Jiaying's cells, which granted him limited regenerative abilities that allowed him to live despite his fatal injuries.
This version was proved to be highly unstable during testing. As part of this test, Raina recruited Mike Peterson and a second subject to the program and Debbie and another scientist injected the men with the serum via an intravenous filter.
By using Extremis to create the serum, it caused the users to become unstable and explode after a certain period of time. This occurred resulting in the deaths of the other doctor and the second subject as well as the destruction of the Project's lab in Los Angeles. The explosion exposed the project and brought it to the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. This nearly happened with Peterson but he was prevented from exploding by being injected with dendrotoxin by Coulson's Team.
Having relocated to Hong Kong, the project sought out another subject with whom they hoped to stabilize the serum. Raina brought it in Chan Ho Yin, a pyrokinetic on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Index. They discovered that because of Chan's abnormal blood platelets, he could not explode. Debbie then removed the platelets from Chan who was starting to become mentally unstable. Raina and Debbie attempted to flee the facility but only Raina escaped; Debbie was killed by Chan.
John Garrett injected himself with the serum but, due to his deteriorating condition, it only kept him alive and did not give him enhanced abilities. Garrett then ordered Raina to create an army of Centipede Soldiers. These soldiers were successful but also required enormous amounts of energy and rest which they did not receive because the Project could not stay in any location for long due to S.H.I.E.L.D. surveillance. These soldiers were stopped by Coulson's Team and Raina was arrested by S.H.I.E.L.D., but the Project gained control of Mike Peterson and implanted him with their Backscatter X-Ray Eye Implant.
HYDRA was revealed to have infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D., and Garrett was exposed. He managed to escape imprisonment with the help of fellow infiltrator Grant Ward. Ward then freed Raina who continued her work with the serum using HYDRA's incentives program to acquire more subjects whom she turned into Centipede Soldiers.
A Cure for Phil Coulson
At the request of Phil Coulson's friends, Tony Caine searched through Project Deathlok to find a solution for Coulson's critical condition. Daisy Johnson and Caine met and he gave her the last remaining Centipede Device with the serum in it. However, Caine informed her that John Garrett's version of the serum contained a healing agent developed by the Nazis that was not present in the sample he can give her, with Johnson realizing that the "healing agent" were the cells of her mother. Later, Johnson exhumed her mother's corpse in order to harvest her cells.
Johnson returned to the Lighthouse with the serum and her mother's corpse and asked Jemma Simmons to synthesize an upgraded serum to save Coulson's life. Simmons succeeded in her task and created the healing agent, however the serum was also necessary to stop Glenn Talbot, as Simmons came up with an idea to mix the Odium with the serum so it would attack Talbot's cell.
During the argument, Melinda May could not stand the idea of losing Coulson, so she dropped the Odium to the ground, making the serum only useful for Coulson. Simmons brought him the serum in order to save his life, however he decided not to take it and instead hid it in one of Johnson's Quake Gauntlets. During Johnson's fight against Talbot, she found the serum and injected it into herself. With her newly enhanced strength, she used her Inhuman powers to push Talbot outside of Earth, where he died in space. In the process, the Destruction of Earth was prevented, and with it the resulting dystopian future.
- Regenerative Healing: To be added
- Enhanced Strength: To be added
- Super Soldier Serum: A variant of the serum created by Abraham Erskine, made to enhance its user natural capabilities.
- Gamma Radiation: A type of nuclear radiation.
- Extremis: A virus created by Maya Hansen with help from Tony Stark and updated by Aldrich Killian which allows the human body to regenerate damaged tissue, including the regrowth of severed limbs.
- Chan Ho Yin's blood platelets: The blood platelets of Chan Ho Yin, a man with natural pyrokinetic powers, were used to stabilize the Extremis component of the Centipede Serum.
Components Exclusive to John Garrett's Serum
- Jiaying's DNA: The DNA of Jiaying, an Inhuman with regeneration and longevity powers, first used by Daniel Whitehall to rejuvenate his body.
- GH.325: A recreated drug derived from distilled bodily fluids of a Kree's corpse.
The first version of the serum gave the user superhuman strength, speed, durability, and a regenerative healing factor. This version of the Centipede Serum was highly unstable due to Extremis.
The second version which included Chan Ho Yin's blood platelets stabilized the serum allowing the users to stop exploding and use the serum properly.
The third version which included the GH.325 allowed those users such as John Garrett that were severely injured to gain the abilities a normal Centipede Soldier would have. The side effect was that the user would then slowly go crazy and start carving the Words of Creation.
|Appearances for Centipede Serum|
- The normal color of the serum is bright orange, but when Raina added the recreated GH.325, the serum became blue.
- As seen with Chan Ho Yin and Daisy Johnson, the serum will enhance the user's already existing superhuman powers.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.10: The Bridge
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.19: Option Two
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.01: Pilot
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.05: Girl in the Flower Dress
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.17: Turn, Turn, Turn
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.18: Providence
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.22: Beginning of the End
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.21: Ragtag
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.20: The One Who Will Save Us All
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.21: The Force of Gravity
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 5.22: The End
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- The Incredible Hulk
- Iron Man 3
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.14: T.A.H.I.T.I.