|For alternate versions of Captain Carter, see Captain Carter's Character Hub|
Captain Margaret Elizabeth "Peggy" Carter is an agent of the Strategic Scientific Reserve during World War II. When Steve Rogers, the original candidate for Project Rebirth, was wounded by a HYDRA spy, Carter volunteered herself as a replacement, received the Super Soldier Serum, and became the first successful super soldier. Being given the rank of Captain and donning the colors of the Union Jack, Captain Carter entered the war leading the Allied forces against HYDRA. Her first mission was a successful one in which she retrieved the Tesseract, which was found and taken by Red Skull. In a later mission to infiltrate a HYDRA train, Steve Rogers was lost to an explosion and an avalanche. Captain Carter's final battle against HYDRA would result in a reunion with Steve and her sacrificing herself to stop the Champion of HYDRA, going through a wormhole from which she emerged from almost seventy years later.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Behind the Scenes
- 10 References
- 11 External Links
World War II
Peggy Carter brought Steve Rogers to the Strategic Scientific Reserve Brooklyn Facility to prepare for his transformation. Prior to his presentation, she was asked by Abraham Erskine if she would be comfortable in the booth. Having a loving glance at Rogers, she chose to stay. As Erskine began the presentation, Carter became suspicious as she noticed the explosive planted by Heinz Kruger. Unfortunately Carter was unable to stop him before he detonated the explosive, causing an explosion that killed several people, including Erskine. As Krueger tried to escape with the vial of the Super Soldier Serum, Carter came in and shot him, killing him.
Carter came to Rogers' aid, who was wounded after he got shot by Krueger. With the power to the Vita-Ray Chamber depleting, John Flynn ordered Rogers to get back into the chamber, but Carter claimed that he was unable to do it. As Flynn argued with Howard, she made the choice to undergo the experiment in Steve's place. Carter then grabbed the vial and rushed to the chamber.
Arguments with John Flynn
Against all odds, the procedure was a success as Carter emerged fully transformed into a super soldier, visibly taller and stronger. Despite the Super Soldier Serum working on Carter, John Flynn was angered, claiming that women did not belong on the front lines and thus refused to allow Carter to fight, much to her anger and disappointment.
Carter began training to become a soldier. One time, she was training with Steve Rogers right beside her and she punched a bag over and over until it detached from the chain and was flung against the wall.
Rogers told her she was getting better at this and would make a great combat machine, but Carter, who was still angered by John Flynn's words, disagreed, used her foot to flip a weight into her hand, and threw it with great force and precision against the wall, where many other weights were already lodged in. Rogers joked that it could be worse and that Flynn could try to put her in a suit and sell war bonds, which Carter took seriously. Some soldiers passed by the window marching, which reminded Rogers about his friend Bucky Barnes fighting without him.
Howard Stark's Gift
At a bar, Carter was drinking when Howard Stark suddenly appeared. Stark joked about how British people were supposed to be resilient, when suddenly he handed Carter a box. Carter opened the box and found a suit with the colors of the Union Jack what was supposed to be her USO uniform, but upgraded by Stark. He then put a matching hefty shield over the table. Carter saw her reflection on the shield and smiled.
Capture of Arnim Zola
Carter, now wearing her new suit, went on a mission to retrieve the stolen Tesseract and capture the scientist Arnim Zola. She waited on top of a building watching a fleet of HYDRA trucks and motorcycles slowly approach. When one of the motorcycles got close enough she threw her shield, knocking the two men off and sending them sprawling. The shield came back to her hand and she jumped down off the building.
The truck in the lead tried to run her down, but she used her shield to flip the truck. She then gave it another go and flipped one more. Men streamed out of the trucks and off the motorcycles but she took all of them down easily. As the remaining men tried to take her down, one last man emerged and quipped that the United States of America were sending a "Fragile Fräulein" to fight for them. She responded that she was far from fragile and took him down in three punches. She opened the rear of his truck and found Zola, so surprised that he cursed, to which Carter responded, "Exactly."
Liberation of Allied Prisoners of War
Carter and Steve Rogers discussed the last intel report to determinate the whereabouts of Bucky Barnes and the Howling Commandos after being captured by HYDRA. After telling Rogers that he owed her a dance, Carter went to the mission. She stole a HYDRA soldier's motorcycle to get to the place and break the outer fence. After fighting a bunch of soldiers, she made it to the cells, where she met Barnes. She broke all of them out of the prison and exited the place, only to run into even more soldiers and tanks.
They hid behind some dirt and Carter requested to her forces they send air support. Much to the group's surprise, Rogers came flying wearing the HYDRA Stomper Armor that Howard Stark had built. Together Carter and Rogers fought the remaining HYDRA forces. Everyone started to cheer for Captain Carter, to which she said they should wait until the victory parade.
Losing Steve Rogers
Carter would rejoin Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes, along with a few other men went on a mission to infiltrate a HYDRA Train that supposedly Red Skull was in. Barnes, his men, and Carter saw the train and took a Zip-Line Gun to land on it.
Rogers, in the HYDRA Stomper Armor, went inside of one of the wagons, and with horror realized there were only detonating explosives inside. These then started to explode, which most of the group saw and was able to jump off the train safely. However, as soon as they were off, the ground underneath the train collapsed and set off an avalanche. Rogers was lost in the snow, which filled Carter with sadness.
Attack on Castle de Krake
Having lost Steve Rogers and the Tesseract, John Flynn became very mad and disappointed, and started arguing with Howard Stark about how what he said about the Tesseract and the HYDRA Stomper Armor. In the midst of the desperation, Carter went up to Arnim Zola's cell. Zola, while not surprised by being visited by her, initially was not willing to tell anything, but he eventually complied. He told her that Red Skull was planning to use the Tesseract to unleash an Interdimensional Force and use it as a weapon of mass destruction. He also told her that HYDRA was planning to do this at Castle de Krake in the Black Forest. After telling her group, they went to the location to face Red Skull.
At the castle, Carter jumped over one of the walls to open the main door for the others. After fighting a whole lot of soldiers, the group had to split, leading Carter to go with Stark. However, they eventually found out that Red Skull had already opened the wormhole to allow the Champion of HYDRA through. The monster, not following HYDRA's command, crushed Red Skull to death, leading Carter and Stark to think of a plan. They noticed the panel control, which Stark could use to reverse the suction of the portal.
Carter began fighting the beast, using a sword from the wall, however the creature was overpowering her. When Stark figured it out, the portal began to suck the beast in, as Carter tried to resist its clutches. Then, Rogers in the HYDRA Stomper armor and the Howling Commandos arrived and helped Carter, until the beast roared loudly, stunning them. Rogers had to get them out of the castle to safety. The beast was trying to keep the portal by holding it open, to which Carter decided to start pushing it to the wormhole, even though it meant entering the portal herself. Rogers tried to help, but his suit became powerless quickly. Rogers exchanged with Carter his last words before she entered the portal and it closed.
Teleported to the 21st Century
In the Joint Dark Energy Mission Facility, Nick Fury and Clint Barton activated the Tesseract, and Captain Carter was flung out of the wormhole it created. Immediately, Fury told her to put down the sword. Barton then recognized Captain Carter and told Fury. As Carter asked the whereabouts of Steve Rogers, Fury told her that the war ended almost seventy years ago.
Carter is very confident and brave, showing as she stepped in to receive the Super Soldier Serum without hesitation. She is also easily discouraged as shown when John Flynn told her that they wouldn't have "a girl" fight for them. Peggy likes a good fight and visibly enjoys being Captain Carter. She can sometimes be menacing, as shown as when she started to push the Champion of HYDRA back in to wormhole the Tesseract had created, and when she angrily asked Nick Fury where Steve Rogers was after she was teleported to the 21st century. Carter deeply cares for her loved ones as she mourned Rogers after he was caught in the avalanche. She seems not to be remorseful of the ones she kills, as she is used to it.
Powers and Abilities
This section needs a rewrite
- "You have a Super Soldier."
- ―Peggy Carter[src]
Artificially Enhanced Physiology: Due to the Super Soldier Serum, Captain Carter's abilities were enhanced to superhuman levels.
- Enhanced Intelligence: To be added
- Enhanced Strength: Captain Carter's physical strength was greatly increased to the point where she could flip a HYDRA Truck. She was able to lift a motorcycle with one hand and throw it. She was able to push the Champion of HYDRA into the wormhole where it came from, despite the creature resisting with its tentacles.
- Enhanced Durability: Captain Carter's durability was strong enough to that she stayed right where she was while flipping a HYDRA truck.
- Enhanced Speed: Captain Carter is fast enough to catch up to a man on a motorcycle.
- Enhanced Agility: Captain Carter took down several men with only her shield and took down the last one with her bare hands. She was able to leap several yards into the air to infiltrate Castle de Krake's walls, and also to carry Stark to a control panel.
- Enhanced Stamina: To be added
- Enhanced Reflexes: Captain Carter's reflexes allow her to react quickly to several gunshots and protect with her shield.
- Enhanced Senses: To be added
- Regenerative Healing Factor: To be added
- Longevity: Captain Carter was able to keep her current physical form during the 68 years of her being in the wormhole.
- Master Martial Artist: Captain Carter easily subdued her last attacker with hand-to-hand combat.
- Shield Mastery: Captain Carter is very intuitive with her circular shield, as she was already proficient with hurling weight plates. She can also dual-wield her shield and her sword.
- Sword Mastery: Captain Carter is also skilled in swordsmanship, showing her skill as she easily cut through a tentacle.
- Expert Marksman: Captain Carter is highly proficient with firearms, as she shot and killed Heinz Kruger with her pistol. She can also accurately throw her shield.
- Master Acrobat: To be added
- Master Tactician: To be added
- Expert Interrogator: Captain Carter learned everything about the Red Skull's plans from Arnim Zola.
- Bilingualism: Captain Carter speaks her native English and understands German.
- Captain Carter's Shield: Carter carries a vibranium shield that was constructed by Howard Stark. The shield was painted the colors of the Union Jack to match Carter's uniform.
- Pistol: During the Liberation of Allied Prisoners of War, Captain Carter was armed with a pistol. She also used on to shoot and kill Heinz Kruger.
- Sword: Carter took a sword from a wall inside Castle de Krake to help her fight the Champion of HYDRA. Together with her shield, the sword is also brought to the 21st century by Carter after being teleported from the past.
- Captain Carter's Uniform: This uniform was initially planned for tours for war bonds. Howard Stark took it and made a few modifications to make it suitable for combat.
- Lindworm-5 Motorbike: Captain Carter caught up to a man on a motorcycle and stole it from him. She rode to the Castle de Krake and soon after abandoned it to take out several men high up in a secured location.
- Strategic Scientific Reserve Brooklyn Facility: To be added
- Austrian HYDRA Weapons Facility: To be added
- Captain Carter is partially based on the alternate version of Peggy Carter who became Captain America after being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, who first appeared in the video game Marvel Puzzle Quest as part of the celebration for Captain America's 75th Anniversary. The character was later introduced in the Marvel Comics as well, as a member of the Exiles.
- Prior to being injected with the Super Soldier Serum, Carter was 5'7ft tall (or 170cm), and weighed 150 pounds.
Behind the Scenes
- What If...? director Bryan Andrews has expressed interest in a live-action film of Captain Carter, with Hayley Atwell reprising the role.
- What If...?: 1.01: What If... Captain Carter Were The First Avenger?
- Captain America: Peggy Carter wields the shield in new Marvel Game - Entertainment Weekly
- Exclusive: Interview with Peggy Carter Captain America Creators - The Marvel Report
- Peggy Carter is Captain America in new Marvel comic - Entertainment Weekly
- A Brief History of Peggy Carter as Captain America - Gizmodo
- ‘What If…?’ Writer and Director on Their Last Call with Chadwick Boseman and a Captain Carter Movie