|For other uses, see Captain America (disambiguation)|
|For alternate versions of Captain America, see Captain America's Character Hub|
Captain Steven Grant "Steve" Rogers, also known as Captain America, was a World War II veteran, a recipient of the Super Soldier Serum, and a founding and leading member of the Avengers. In 2018, he was turned into a zombie by Hank Pym and was killed by Bucky Barnes. Later, Rogers was summoned to another world by Doctor Strange to help confront Ultron, but was swiftly killed again when the AI destroyed the planet he was on.
Overwhelmed by the Undead
- "On my mark."
- ―Captain America[src]
In 2018, the Quantum Virus spread across the United States of America, turning those infected into zombies. Steve Rogers, along with Clint Barton and Natasha Romanoff, reassembled with Tony Stark; putting their differences aside to respond to the national health emergency. They were joined by T'Challa and flew via Quinjet to San Francisco to try and contain the virus. Upon arriving on the Golden Gate Bridge, they were immediately met by a horde of zombies.
As Rogers prepared to lead the charge, he was bitten by a shrunken zombiefied Hank Pym. Instantly, Rogers fell onto the road and began to transform into a zombie, while Stark, Barton, and Romanoff became infected also.
Showdown with Winter Soldier
Later, a zombiefied Rogers sneaked onboard the train in the Grand Central Terminal that was carrying the surviving members of the Avengers' allies. Rogers ambushed Sharon Carter in the back train car and attacked her, causing her to become infected. Rogers then was confronted by Bucky Barnes who came to Carter's defense, seconds too late.
However, Rogers was unable to recognize his best friend and attacked him with his shield, but Barnes got the upper hand. When Rogers threw the shield at Barnes, Barnes threw the shield back directly at Rogers' midsection, slicing him in half, killing him. Rogers' lifeless body then fell backwards onto the track.
Sometime later, Doctor Strange, a member of the Guardians of the Multiverse, summoned him alongside other zombies to an desolate location to distract Ultron, dropping Rogers and his fellow zombies over the genocidal A.I. However, Ultron blasted Rogers and the other zombies away and ultimately killed all of them when he used his full power to destroy the planet they were on.
Powers and Abilities
- Artificially Enhanced Physiology/Zombie Physiology: After getting a mild physical contact from a transmitter zombie, Rogers turned into a zombie while still retaining his super soldier abilities.
- Enhanced Strength: This strength is inherited from the Super Soldier Serum injected into his body prior getting affected by the virus, allowing him to go toe-to-toe with the similarly-enhanced Winter Soldier.
- Enhanced Durability: Rogers's bones and muscles are denser and much harder than average humans. As a Zombie, Rogers has shown to be vulnerable as seen when Barnes throw back his shield to him which slicing him in half.
- Enhanced Speed: Rogers can run and move at speeds beyond the peak of human potential. Even as a Zombie, he shown to be more faster than any regular zombie as seen he rush towards Bucky Barnes to fight him.
- Enhanced Agility: Rogers's agility is far greater than that of an Olympic-gold medalist. He can coordinate his body with perfect balance, equilibrium, flexibility, and dexterity.
- Enhanced Stamina: Rogers's endurance has been enhanced to peak-human potential, allow him to fight for long period time without any exhaustions.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Rogers' reflexes are superior to those of the finest human athletes, allow him to react faster than any normal human.
- Enhanced Intelligence: Rogers' mental performance has been greatly enhanced to operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Rogers is able to heal injuries and wounds much faster than any normal human. However it can't protect him from getting infected with Quantum Virus.
- Longevity: As a result of Super Soldier Serum, Rogers's age is much slower than any normal human.
- Infection: Like any zombies, Rogers is capable of spreading encephalopathic virus to others by biting or scratching which would turn them into zombies. Rogers was able to turn Sharon Carter into a zombie before dying.
- Master Martial Artist: Even as a zombie, Rogers retained his fighting skills which allowed him to go toe-to-toe with Bucky Barnes before being killed.
- Shield Mastery: Rogers has shown good use of his shield even when being zombified.
- Expert Marksman: Rogers is able to throw his shield accurately when fighting with Bucky Barnes.
- Captain America's Shield: Zombie Captain America used his shield while fighting Bucky Barnes, until it was used against him to slice him in half. After being summoned by Doctor Strange he was somehow reacquired his shield to confront Ultron.
- Quinjet: Rogers used to fly on these aircrafts along with his teammates, the Avengers. He last used it when going to the Golden Gate Bridge to try to stop the Zombie Apocalypse.
- In the comics, the zombie version of Captain America from Earth-2149 was referred to as Colonel America.
Behind the Scenes
- In Matthew Chauncey's first draft for What If... Zombies!?, Captain America was going to bite off Sharon Carter's lips and then spit them out, due to Chauncey's dislike for Sharon Carter. However, A.C. Bradley had the scene toned down.