|For other uses, see Black Widow (disambiguation)|
Black Widow is an upcoming superhero film, based on the Marvel Comics superheroine of the same name. The film is a sequel to Captain America: Civil War and a prequel to Avengers: Infinity War. It is the twenty-fourth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well as the fourth installment and the first film of Phase Four. The film is set to be released on May 7, 2021.
The film is directed by Cate Shortland and stars Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova, David Harbour as Alexei Shostakov/Red Guardian, O-T Fagbenle as Rick Mason, William Hurt as Thaddeus Ross, with Ray Winstone as Dreykov, and Rachel Weisz as Melina Vostokoff.
In Marvel Studios' action-packed spy thriller Black Widow, Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
- Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova
- Violet McGraw as Young Yelena Belova
- David Harbour as Alexei Shostakov/Red Guardian
- O-T Fagbenle as Rick Mason
- William Hurt as Secretary Thaddeus Ross
- Ray Winstone as General Dreykov
- Rachel Weisz as Melina Vostokoff
- To-be-confirmed actor as Taskmaster
- Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Budapest, Hungary
- Albany, New York
- New York City, New York (footage)
- Hammer Industries Headquarters (footage)
- Budapest Operation
- Infiltration into Hammer Industries Headquarters (footage)
- Cold War (mentioned)
- Black Widow's Batons
- Black Widow's Bite
- Melina Vostokoff's Batons
- Red Guardian's Shield
- Taskmaster's Bow
- Taskmaster's Shield
- Taskmaster Suit
To be added
To be added
On February 12, 2014, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige revealed in an interview with Total Film that some developmental groundwork had been done on a potential film featuring Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, saying: "We start filming the next Avengers film at the end of March. [Black] Widow's part in that is very big. We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film. The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that."
In August 2014, Nicole Perlman announced that she had written a "pretty in-depth" treatment for the film in 2010/2011, while British director Neil Marshall told Vanity Fair in an interview that he wanted to direct the film.
In an interview with Collider, Johansson revealed that she and Feige had discussed a series of standalone Black Widow films for Marvel.
On May 6, 2016, Feige announced to Deadline during a Q/A that Marvel Studios had discussed creating a Black Widow film.
On April 26, 2018, it was reported that Marvel Studios was searching for a director for the film and had been meeting with filmmakers such as Deniz Gamze Ergüven, Chloé Zhao, Amma Asante, Maggie Betts, and Angela Robinson.
On May 2, 2018, it was reported that Marvel Studios was still searching for a director for the film and had been meeting with more than 65 directors.
On November 30, 2018, it was reported that filming would start in 2019 for a potential release in 2020.
On April 3, 2019, David Harbour and Pugh were cast in the film, while Rachel Weisz entered negotiations to star. The same day, it was reported that filming would begin on June 3, 2019, and would last until September. A week later, O-T Fagbenle was cast in an undisclosed leading role.
In May 2019, it was revealed that Johansson would serve as a producer on the film.
On May 28, 2019, it was reported that filming had begun on in Norway.
On July 20, 2019, at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, the cast was revealed and Kevin Feige announced that the film was scheduled to hit theaters on May 1, 2020.
On October 7, 2019, it was reported that filming had wrapped and post-production had begun.
On March 31, 2020, it was reported that Lorne Balfe had replaced Alexandre Desplat as the film's composer. However, this information was not confirmed by Marvel, with Desplat still credited as the composer in the newest poster. Desplat later confirmed that he was no longer involved with the film, revealing that Marvel Studios had "detached" him from the project and that he had been replaced by Balfe late into post-production.
On September 15, 2020, Variety reported that the film's release date would likely be delayed as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
On September 20, 2020, in an interview with GamesRadar+, Florence Pugh admitted to hoping that fans will like her character. Moreover, she hinted that her role in the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe may depend on the fan reception of her character.
On September 23, 2020, it was announced that the film had been pushed back from its November 6, 2020 release date to May 7, 2021, more than a year after its initial release date.
On January 10, 2021, Kevin Feige said that he expects that film will make its May 2021 release date.
- New BLACK WIDOW Synopsis Finds Scarlett Johansson's Lethal Avenger Confronting Her Past
- Disney’s Live-Action ‘Peter Pan’ Movie Finds Its Wendy and Peter (EXCLUSIVE)
- SCARLETT JOHANSSON in Empire Magazine, May 2020 Issue
- Marvel's 'Black Widow' visits 'Albany'
- Black Widow Will Finally Explain The Avengers’ Budapest Reference
- BLACK WIDOW And ETERNALS Footage Description Reveals New Details About The Phase 4 Marvel Movies
- Feige: Black Widow's Past to be Explored in Avengers 2 and Possible Solo Film
- Nicole Perlman on Twitter - August 4, 2014
- Game of Thrones Big-Battle Director Neil Marshall Either Wants to Direct a Black Widow Movie or Unleash Those Dragons
- FAN EXPO: MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS: THE LEGENDARY STAN LEE
- BLACK WIDOW Movie: Scarlett Johansson and Kevin Feige Have Discussed a Series of Films
- Clark Gregg says it'd be "tragic" if Marvel doesn't make a Black Widow movie
- The Russo Brothers Would Be Interested In Doing A Black Widow Solo Movie
- Russo Brothers talk about Captain America Civil war in China (2015)
- Kevin Feige On ‘Captain America: Civil War’ And All Things Marvel – Deadline Q&A
- Kevin Feige Says Marvel Studios is ‘Committing’ to a Black Widow Solo Movie
- COMIC-CON 2016: JOSS WHEDON WOULD DIRECT A BLACK WIDOW MOVIE IF MARVEL ASKED
- The Black Widow movie "should be done" says Scarlett Johansson
- Thor: Ragnarok Director Taika Waititi Wants to Make a Marvel Comedy With a Surprising Avenger
- Marvel’s Standalone ‘Black Widow’ Movie Gains Momentum With Jac Schaeffer Writing
- Chris Evans Loves 'Black Panther'
- 'Jessica Jones' Director in Talks to Helm 'Star Trek 4'
- Justin Kroll on Twitter - April 26, 2018
- Justin Kroll on Twitter - May 2, 2018
- Marvel Eyes Female Helmers For ‘Black Widow’ Film: Watch For Cate Shortland
- 'Black Widow' Movie Finds Director in Cate Shortland (Exclusive)
- Spider-Women, Captain Marvel & Harley Quinn: Females Fly In The Face Of Old Hollywood Perceptions
- Marvel’s Black Widow Movie Production Reportedly Pushed Back To June
- Exclusive: Marvel, Scarlett Johansson Tap Ned Benson to Rewrite ‘Black Widow’ Movie
- Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Black Widow’ Movie Adds Florence Pugh
- 'Stranger Things' Star David Harbour Joins Scarlett Johansson in Marvel's 'Black Widow' (Exclusive)
- ‘Black Widow’: Rachel Weisz Circling Key Role in Marvel’s Standalone Film (EXCLUSIVE)
- UPDATE: ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Production Designer Charles Wood Joins ‘Black Widow’
- Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ Snares ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Actor O-T Fagbenle
- RRobert Downey Jr.'s Massive Payday Tops 'Avengers: Endgame' Star Deals
- Marvel’s Black Widow is Currently Filming in Norway
- Ray Winstone Joins Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ Ray Winstone Joins Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- SDCC 2019: All of the Marvel Studios News Coming Out of Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con
- William Hurt Photographed on 'Black Widow' Set, Fans Theorize He Could Be Filming End Credits Scene
- Marvel Studios Wraps Filming on ‘Black Widow’
- ‘Black Widow’ Reshoot Set Photos Offer New Look At Scarlett Johansson In Action
- ‘Black Widow’ Release Pushed Back Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Lorne Balfe Scoring Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’
- Black Widow November 6 Poster
- Alexandre Desplat on Wes Anderson’s Amazing ‘French Dispatch’ and del Toro’s Musical ‘Pinocchio’
- Marvel Studios Twitter - April 3, 2020
- The Walt Disney Studios Announces Updated Release Schedule
- ‘Black Widow’ Eyes New Release Date, ‘Soul’ May Move to Disney Plus - Variety
- Florence Pugh and Scarlett Johansson discuss the future of Black Widow
- Marvel Studios' 'Black Widow' and More Receive New Phase Four Release Dates
- Kevin Feige On Confidence of Black Widow Dropping in May, Marvel Movie Schedule