The Black Order, also known as the Children of Thanos, was an elite team comprised of powerful individuals who used their abilities to serve their adoptive father Thanos. As Thanos' vicious generals, they assisted him in his mission to find and harness the power of the Infinity Stones. Each of them had a specific superpower appropriate to their character.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Equipment
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Behind the Scenes
- 7 References
- 8 External Links
Raised by Thanos
The Black Order was created by Thanos as part of his modus operandi of adopting a child from one of the planets that he conquered before killing half of the population. Thanos adopted six known children, Ebony Maw, Proxima Midnight, the brothers Corvus Glaive and Cull Obsidian, the Zehoberei Gamora, and the Luphomoid Nebula, and trained them in the ways of combat, turning each of them into a deadly warrior. While the other four were unfailingly devoted and loyal to Thanos, Gamora and Nebula would come to resent their adopted father, the former having severe reservations about his goal and the latter for the torture he'd inflicted on her, coming to hate not only him but her adoptive siblings.
In 2014, the Black Order invaded Korbin and successfully conquered it, wiping out half the population. When Gamora and Nebula fell back to their Q-Ship, Thanos dispatched them to the Dark Aster so they could watch over Ronan the Accuser and ensure he brought the Power Stone to Thanos. The enterprise ended with Gamora joining the Guardians of the Galaxy and Nebula going rogue.
The Black Order accompanied Thanos in search for the Tesseract containing the Space Stone, which had been taken by Loki prior to the Destruction of Asgard. Using their mothership the Sanctuary II, the Black Order attacked the Asgardians who had sought refuge on the Statesman. They defeated the Asgardians, including their King Thor and Heimdall, and slaughtered half of the population, with the other half evacuating the spaceship.
Following their victory, Ebony Maw delivered his traditional speech claiming that the sacrifice of the Asgardians helped to restore balance in the universe. Loki then announced that "they had a Hulk", whereupon the Hulk attempted to attack Thanos, Cull Obsidian intended to intervene, but Ebony Maw stopped him. Although Bruce Banner initially held the upper hand, Thanos easily defeated Hulk on his own, while Ebony Maw blocked Thor. When Heimdall used his last forces to send Hulk on Earth with the Bifrost Bridge, Thanos impaled him withCorvus Glaive's Glaive. Ebony Maw silenced Thor, who swore to exact revenge on Thanos, and then gave the Tesseract to his adoptive father.
The Children of Thanos were then asked to go to Earth to find the Mind Stone and the Time Stone, with Proxima Midnight promising that they would succeed. Loki offered to guide them, but it was only a trick so he could attack Thanos before the Black Order could react. However, Thanos stopped Loki and murdered him in front of his brother Thor. Using the power of the Space Stone, the Black Order then returned onto the Sanctuary II as Thanos destroyed the Statesman with the Power Stone.
Both Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian hitched a ride on a Q-Ship to New York City, where the Masters of the Mystic Arts kept the Time Stone hidden in the Eye of Agamotto belonging to Doctor Strange. Once their ship arrived in the city, causing massive damage and panic, Maw and Obsidian both accosted Strange, accompanied by Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and Wong. As Ebony Maw grew tired of Stark's taunting, he ordered Cull Obsidian to go and fight.
However, the defenders of Earth proved to be more than a match for the Black Order. Despite Bruce Banner's failure to turn into the Hulk, the remaining force frustrated the invaders. Although he seemingly gained the upper hand over Iron Man, Cull Obsidian also had to fight Spider-Man, whose spider-sense tipped him off to the conflict, forcing him to arrive and help his mentor. Meanwhile, Ebony Maw fought against the Masters of the Mystic Arts, who managed to wound him. This angers Maw and prompts him to fully commit to the battle. Ebony Maw easily defeated Wong and attacked Strange, blocking him with his telekinetic powers. However, Maw could not open the Eye of Agamotto, forcing him to abduct Strange onto the Q-Ship.
Although both Spider-Man and the Cloak of Levitation attempted to stop him, Ebony Maw successfully escaped with an unconscious Strange. Cull Obsidian, however, was trapped by Wong who sent him to the Arctic through a portal, losing an arm in the process. 
While their brothers battled in New York, Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive took their own Q-Ship to Scotland, where Vision, who carried the Mind Stone, attempted to live in peace with Wanda Maximoff. As Vision and Maximoff were wandering in the streets of Edinburgh, Corvus Glaive stealthily backstabbed Vision, preventing him from phasing. Scarlet Witch attempted to stop him, but she was thrown away by Proxima Midnight. The Black Order then attempted to forcefully extract the Mind Stone from Vision's skull.
However, Scarlet Witch stood back and knocked Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight over before taking Vision away. The Black Order found them and a double duel was engaged, with Proxima Midnight facing Scarlet Witch while Corvus Glaive fought against Vision. Corvus Glaive managed to gain the upper hand over Vision, deflecting the Mind Stone's blast and attacking him one more time to remove the Mind Stone from his head. However, Scarlet Witch, who had momentarily got rid of Proxima Midnight, rescued Vision. As they attempted to fly away, Proxima Midnight shot them in midair, forcing them to violently crashland in a nearby train station.
Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight found their target again and prepared to finish them. However, they soon had to deal with reinforcements: Captain America, Falcon and Black Widow. In the ensuing battle, Corvus Glaive was heavily wounded by Black Widow and Proxima Midnight was almost defeated. Knowing that they were outnumbered, Proxima Midnight elected to retreat and took herself and the weakened Corvus Glaive back into the Q-Ship.
Refusing to return to Thanos without having fully accomplished his mission, Ebony Maw attempted to torture Doctor Strange with microsurgery needles so he would hand the Time Stone over. However, unbeknownst to him, Iron Man and Spider-Man had stealthily stowed away on his Q-Ship. Tony Stark confronted Ebony Maw, who mocked him for being no match to the Black Order. However, Iron Man blasted a hole in the spaceship's hull, causing Ebony Maw to be sucked into space and subsequently freeze to death. Thus, Ebony Maw was the first member of the Black Order to perish in the Infinity War.
The three remaining members of the Black Order led a massive army of Outriders to Wakanda, where the Avengers had taken Vision along with the Mind Stone. Pretending that Corvus Glaive had died from his wounds in the aftermath of the Attack on Vision in Scotland, Proxima Midnight and Cull Obsidian confronted Captain America, Black Widow and Black Panther, claiming that Thanos would obtain the Mind Stone in the end, even if they had to sacrifice their whole army to complete their mission.
Proxima Midnight then ordered the Outriders to charge and a massive horde soon swarmed out of the Wakandan forest, attacking the protective dome surrounding the Wakandan armies. When their opponents decided to open the barrier to stop the Outriders from flanking them, Proxima Midnight and Cull Obsidian joined the fray and began laying waste on the Wakandan armies. The Black Order then resorted to massive siege weapons which caused even more casualties, prompting Scarlet Witch, who had remained at Vision's side to be ready to destroy the Mind Stone, to join the battlefield as well.
Noticing her presence, Proxima Midnight signaled Corvus Glaive, who was actually alive, to attack Vision. Corvus Glaive easily made his way to the android, knocking both Ayo and Shuri unconscious. Vision attempted to fight back, which caused both Glaive and Vision to fall into the forest. As Cull Obsidian left to assist Corvus Glaive, Proxima Midnight remained in the core of the battle and attacked Scarlet Witch to keep her from helping Vision. Even with Scarlet Witch receiving backup with Black Widow and Okoye, Proxima Midnight successfully held her own against them and nearly defeated them. However, Scarlet Witch used her powers to project her under one the Black Order's siege weapons, killing her.
Meanwhile, Cull Obsidian and Corvus Glaive respectively fought against Bruce Banner using a Hulkbuster armor and Captain America who had come to Vision's rescue after he was wounded by Corvus Glaive. While Cull Obsidian was eventually killed by Banner who lured him into the protective dome using the Hulkbuster's gauntlet, which could be fired from the suit, before Proxima's death, Corvus Glaive defeated Captain America and nearly killed him.
Having traveled from 2014, when they were still alive, to 2023 through the time machine of the Avengers, the Children of Thanos were summoned to the battlefield to battle the survivors of Thanos' initial attack before the revived Avengers joined the battlefield. Thanos ordered his armies to retake the Infinity Stones from the Avengers, with the Black Order pursuing the stones from various Avengers. They failed to capture the stones as Iron Man used them to decimate Thanos and his armies, except for Cull Obsidian who died in the battle, causing the end of the Black Order.
- Name: Ebony Maw
- Activity: 2018, 2023 (time traveled from 2014)
- Description: Ebony Maw was the former torturer of Thanos and one of his most trusted lieutenants. He used his advanced telekinetic powers to capture and torture his victims, such as Doctor Strange, who he brought back onto a Q-Ship after seemingly getting rid of Spider-Man who chased him. Ebony Maw attempted to get the Time Stone from Strange so he could give it to Thanos. However, he was ultimately killed when Iron Man blew a hole in his spaceship's hull in a surprise attack, casting him into outer space, where he froze and perished.
- In 2014, Ebony Maw assisted Thanos as they found out the Avengers' mission to revisit past events. He then time traveled along with all of Thanos' army and attacked the New Avengers Facility. When Thanos summoned his army in an all-out battle against Captain America and all of the Avengers, the entire Black Order participated. Ebony was killed at last when Iron Man snapped his fingers with the electronic gauntlet containing all six stones, perishing alongside Thanos' remaining army.
- Name: Cull Obsidian
- Activity: 2018, 2023 (time traveled from 2014)
- Description: Cull Obsidian was the strongest among Thanos' children. He used a chain hammer to fight his enemies, notably using it when facing Iron Man during the Attack on Greenwich Village. He almost killed Iron Man until he was saved by Wong. Although he was stranded in the Arctic by Wong, losing a hand in the process, Cull Obsidian returned to his allies and had a prosthetic hand implanted to replace his lost hand. He stood alongside Proxima Midnight, killing many enemies during the Battle of Wakanda. However, Cull Obsidian was ultimately defeated and killed by Bruce Banner wearing a Hulkbuster armor while assisting Corvus Glaive to take down Vision. Banner lured Obsidian into coming into contact with a gauntlet that could be remotely fired, and this blasted him into the protective dome, disintegrating him.
- In 2014, Cull Obsidian time-traveled along with all of Thanos' army and attacked the New Avengers Facility. When Thanos summoned his army, along with all of the Black Order, in an all-out battle against Captain America, all of the Avengers and the armies they led. During his attempt to attack Iron Man, he was pulled to the ground by Spider-Man and ultimately stepped on by a giant Ant-Man, resulting in his death, as well as the first casualty among the Black Order during the Battle of Earth. Obsidian's body was eventually reduced into dust when Iron Man snapped his fingers with the electronic gauntlet containing all six stones.
- Name: Proxima Midnight
- Activity: 2018, 2023 (time traveled from 2014)
- Description: A fearsome warrior, Proxima Midnight used a three-pronged spear in battle. She fiercely dueled against Scarlet Witch when the Black Order attempted to take the Mind Stone from Vision, but she was forced to retreat along with Corvus Glaive when more Avengers arrived in reinforcements. Proxima Midnight later led the armies of Outriders in Wakanda. During the ensuing battle, Proxima Midnight simultaneously fought against Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Okoye and nearly defeated them, but she was eventually killed by Scarlet Witch who used her levitation powers to position her in the path of an incoming Thresher when she let her guard down.
- In 2014, Proxima Midnight time-traveled along with all of Thanos' army and attacked the New Avengers Facility. Thanos then summoned his army, along with all of the Black Order, in an all-out battle against Captain America, all of the Avengers and the armies they led. Along with her allies, they rushed to battle Spider-Man and Captain Marvel, only for the two superheroes to then be joined by an all-female bunch, consisting of Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, Mantis, Rescue, the Wasp, Nebula, Gamora, Shuri and Okoye. She was seen fighting beside Corvus before Corvus was stabbed and wounded. Proxima was last seen cradling the dead Corvus Glaive when Iron Man snapped his fingers with the electronic gauntlet containing all six stones, perishing alongside Thanos' remaining army.
- Name: Corvus Glaive
- Activity: 2018, 2023 (time traveled from 2014)
- Description: A fearsome warrior, Corvus Glaive wielded a glaive that could cut through materials as strong as Vibranium. As such, Corvus Glaive was able to impale Vision's body when attacking him in Scotland, and would have successfully removed the Mind Stone from Vision's head if not for the interference of other Avengers. Corvus Glaive was believed to be dead by the Avengers during the Battle of Wakanda while in reality, he snuck into Shuri's workplace to reclaim the Mind Stone. Although he nearly killed Captain America who protected Vision, Corvus Glaive was eventually killed when Vision used his weapon against him, making him the last Black Order member to die.
- In 2014, Corvus Glaive time-traveled along with all of Thanos' army and attacked the New Avengers Facility. Thanos then summoned his army, along with all of the Black Order, in an all-out battle against Captain America, all of the Avengers and the armies they led. Along with his allies, they rushed to battle Spider-Man and Captain Marvel, only for the two superheroes to then be joined by an all-female bunch, consisting of Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, Mantis, Rescue, Wasp, Nebula, Gamora, Shuri and Okoye, the last of whom stabbed and killed Corvus. Corvus was last seen being cradled by Proxima Midnight when Iron Man snapped his fingers with the electronic gauntlet containing all six stones, perishing alongside Thanos' remaining army.
- Corvus Glaive's Glaive: Corvus Glaive wielded a blade capable of piercing through Vibranium, and was able to stop Vision from phasing after he was impaled by it. The glaive could also deflect blasts of energy from the Mind Stone. Corvus was able to use this to his advantage to send a blast of energy right back towards Vision.
- Cull Obsidian's Chain Hammer: Cull Obsidian's weapon was a massive war hammer which could be turned into a plethero of different weapons based on Obsidian's desire. He could turn it into a pickaxe and a claw as well, and when a claw or hammer, Cull was able to throw it and pull it back with a chain. The hammer could also turn into a gauntlet, after which it could be used as a shield, a snare, or a long blade.
- Microsurgery Needles: Ebony Maw utilized microsurgery needles to torture his victims by telekinetically impaling them all over their body.
- Proxima Midnight's Spear: Proxima Midnight wielded a double bladed spear, one side which had three prongs and the other which had a flat sided blade. The three-pronged end was able to shoot powerful blasts of blue energy.
- Q-Ships: The Black Order used the massive Q-Ships to be transported to and from various locations on Earth.
- All four members have a word in their names alluding to black and darkness, hence why they are known as the "Black Order".
Behind the Scenes
- In the concept art of Avengers: Infinity War, Supergiant was shown as a member of the Black Order.
- An early draft of Avengers: Infinity War included one specific backstory for each one of the Black Order's members.