Using the Weapon
Benjamin Pollack was an unemployed scientist with a pronounced talent for technology. When an inactive Chitauri Gun fell into his lab, Pollack was able to repair it and make it work again. Claire Wise, his girlfriend, convinced the hesitant Pollack to use the gun to rob some banks. Within a few days, the two of them collected a large amount of money from every bank they robbed.
Attacked by Agent Sitwell
While in a motel to take a break from "work", Pollack was sent by Claire Wise to the room besides theirs, so that he could ask the guys in there to turn down the volume of the music they were playing. In the other room, though, Pollack found a secret agent who had been following them, who easily knocked him out and tied him up. Pollack managed, anyway, to break the stereo with the music and to warn his girlfriend of the agent's presence; Wise used the Chitauri Gun to try to save him. During the fight, Pollack charged the agent to save Wise, but, in the process the gun is broken, and it shoots by itself destroying the room.
When Jasper Sitwell, the agent who arrested them, realized that Pollack was the one who repaired the Chitauri Gun, he chose to enlist him instead of killing him. Pollack entered S.H.I.E.L.D. in the "R&D Think Tank" section, so that he could work for them reverse-engineering Chitauri technology recovered from the Battle of New York.
- Scientist: Pollack managed to reactivate a Chitauri Gun with no prior experience with that weapon.
- S.H.I.E.L.D. (First Incarnation)
- Benjamin Pollack wore an Empire State University shirt during one of the robberies.
- It is hinted during the credits of Marvel One-Shot: Item 47 that using Benjamin Pollack's knowledge, HYDRA was able to reactivate the Chitauri Guns and upgrade them into the HYDRA Tanks and weapons seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- This was addressed in The Wakanda Files: A Technological Exploration of the Avengers and Beyond.
- Benny and Claire's names are an homage to famous outlaws and bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde.