|For other uses, see Avengers (disambiguation)|
The Avengers were a team of extraordinary individuals, with either superpowers or other special characteristics. Its purpose was to protect global stability from inner or extraterrestrial threats. Though primarily affiliated with the United States of America, they worked with the peaceful interests of the whole world in mind rather than a specific country or organization. The Avengers were first assembled by S.H.I.E.L.D. when Loki invaded Earth with his Chitauri army to conquer the planet. The team defeated him and went their separate ways for a while.
After S.H.I.E.L.D. became a defunct agency due to HYDRA infiltration, Stark Industries remodeled Stark Tower into Avengers Tower and the team joined together in the fight against HYDRA. After they finished the fight, Tony Stark built Ultron hoping that the A.I. would be able to defend the world from any threats necessary. The plan backfired and Ultron started a war against humanity, forcing Tony and the Avengers to fight Ultron. When Ultron was defeated, the team gained new recruits and relocated to the New Avengers Facility.
Under Captain America's leadership, the team successfully completed several operations around the world, until the amount of collateral damage caused during their conflicts caused the United Nations to pass the Sokovia Accords in an attempt to regulate their actions. The differences in opinions created a rift within the organization which split the Avengers into two factions, one led by Iron Man and another by Captain America. After Captain America was able to stop Helmut Zemo, the instigator of their fight, the team was divided; Iron Man, Vision and War Machine remained official members, while a small group consisting of Captain America, Black Widow, and Falcon continued to operate in the shadows. Stark would try to boost the Avengers' membership by inviting Spider-Man to join, but the young hero turned down the offer to remain closer to the people he had sworn to protect.
Two years after the Accords were ratified, Thanos, the Mad Titan warlord and instigator behind Loki's Chitauri invasion, launched a crusade against the universe in his quest to gather the Infinity Stones. The Avengers were split up into different groups as they fought to combat Thanos before he succeeded, joining forces with the Masters of the Mystic Arts, the Wakandans, and the Guardians of the Galaxy in the process, with Iron Man and Spider Man going to Titan alongside Doctor Strange and meeting and allying with Star-Lord, Nebula, Mantis and Drax to try to stop Thanos while Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow, War Machine, Falcon, Thor, Groot, Rocket and Scarlet Witch protected Vision from the Black Order in Wakanda. While the team on Wakanda was successful in killing Thanos' minions, the team fighting on Titan was defeated. Thanos arrived and overpowered the heroes on Wakanda with ease before killing Vision in order to receive the Mind Stone, thus completing the Infinity Gauntlet. Even after Thor severely wounded him, Thanos still managed to eradicate half of the universe's population, triumphing over Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Several Avengers were among the victims, including Falcon, Scarlet Witch and Spider-Man; with only Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, and War Machine surviving the war.
Five years later after Wasp and her family, who were supposed to pull Ant-Man from the Quantum Realm, were decimated, Ant-Man finally escaped the Quantum Realm, and Hawkeye rejoined the team in hopes of bringing his family back. The Avengers utilized the properties of the Quantum Realm, following Ant-Man's advice, and created a time machine that allowed them to collect the Infinity Stones years before Thanos. Returning to the present with the Stones, Hulk donned the Nano Gauntlet and was able to resurrect those that lost their lives in the Snap. Following Thanos' defeat and the subsequent deaths of Iron Man and Black Widow, Captain America decided to remain in the past with Peggy Carter, Hawkeye and Ant-Man returning to their families, while Rocket Raccoon and Nebula return to the Guardians of the Galaxy with Thor joining them, the Avengers disbanded.
Starting the Initiative
- "We have no idea what other intergalactic threats are out there. And our one woman security force had a prior commitment on the other side of the universe. S.H.I.E.L.D. alone can't protect us. We need to find more."
"You think you can find others like her?"
"We found her and we weren't even looking."
- ―Nick Fury and Phil Coulson
After meeting Captain Marvel and being thrown into the midst of the Kree-Skrull War, Nick Fury realized that a group of extraordinary individuals would be needed to battle the growing forces that conventional military forces or S.H.I.E.L.D. would not be able to handle alone, much less defeat. During the starting development of the initiative, the team’s original name was meant to be named Protectors, until Fury decided to name it as Avengers, after Captain Marvel’s former Air Force pilot call sign.
Recruiting Tony Stark
Nick Fury personally encountered Tony Stark, following his revelation to the world that he was Iron Man. Fury consulted with Stark regarding the Avengers Initiative, telling him that he's not the only superhero in the world. Stark declined but Fury still kept his eye on him for the meantime.
Rejecting Tony Stark
Six months after revealing to the world that he was Iron Man, Stark helped to stabilize peace between East and West relations. However, he discovered that the very thing keeping him alive, the Palladium Arc Reactor, was slowly killing him. Beginning to do questionable things such as donating a large number of his personal things and giving Pepper Potts control of Stark Industries, Nick Fury began to intervene, sending Natasha Romanoff, in the guise of Stark's new assistant Natalie Rushman, to keep an eye on him.
Following a number of altercations, including an attack on Stark by Ivan Vanko and a fight with his friend James Rhodes during a drunken stupor, Fury meet with Stark to discuss his condition and help him get back on the path to save himself and back to work. After finding a new element that stabilized his health and ending a large scale attack by Vanko, Romanoff wrote a report on Stark and stated that while the armor would benefit the Avengers Initiative, Stark himself was deemed unsuitable and was instead given a position as consultant, which he accepted on the condition that he and Rhodes would be given medals for their heroics, personally awarded by Stern.
After Thor was exiled to Earth and landed in New Mexico, he tried to recover Mjølnir after discovering it had made its way to Earth as well. Phil Coulson made note of Thor's strength, albeit human, and his combat skills, as he taken down the group of elite S.H.I.E.L.D. agents without any problem.
When Thor's brother Loki sent the Destroyer to Earth to kill Thor, Thor regained his power and defeated the Destroyer. After that, Coulson approached him and Thor vowed he would be an ally to Earth if they return Jane Foster's research which Coulson agreed. However, before Coulson had a chance to debrief him, Thor flew to the landing site to return back to Asgard to stop Loki.
Soon after the confrontation between Hulk and Emil Blonsky in New York City, a request came down from the World Security Council that blame for the incident be placed on Banner and that Blonsky, who was being held in Thaddeus Ross' sector, be exonerated for his crimes and placed on the team's roster. Nick Fury didn't want Blonsky for the team but was in no position to disobey a direct order from the council. Hoping to resolve the situation for Fury, Phil Coulson and Jasper Sitwell conspired to sabotage the request by sending in their newly minted consultant Tony Stark to be the one to contact the General. As planned, Stark's abrasive manner and disdain for authority resulted in Ross not only turning down the request but also attempting to have Stark removed from the bar. In response, Stark bought the establishment and had it scheduled for demolition.
Captain America's Return
Upon the expedition in Arctic, S.H.I.E.L.D. recovered the body of Captain America who was frozen for approximately 70 years. Examining Rogers' body, scientists informed Nick Fury that he is still alive. Fury ordered to place Rogers in a 1940s-style hospital where he suddenly woke up. Realizing that something was wrong, he escaped onto the streets of New York City. There, he met Fury who told him the entire incident was meant to break the news to him slowly that he had been missing for nearly 70 years.
- "We're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're gonna leave the fate of human race to a handful of freaks."
"I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team. These people may be isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe with the right push they can be exactly what we need."
- ―Gideon Malick and Nick Fury
At first, when it seemed to be no progress with it, the Avengers Initiative was shut down by World Security Council. Gideon Malick put the focus on Phase 2, an initiative to reverse-engineer HYDRA weapons to create weapons for Earth's defense and examining the Tesseract as a source for such weapons. Loki arrived through the Tesseract and began attacking several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, taking control of Hawkeye and Erik Selvig with the Scepter and taking hold of the Tesseract.
Following this, Nick Fury reinstates the Avengers Initiative and has Phil Coulson call for Black Widow to bringing in the others. Coulson has her go to Kolkata to bring in Bruce Banner, who can track the cube due to the fact that it is emitting low levels of Gamma Radiation, of which Banner is an expert. Meanwhile, Fury goes to Steve Rogers to give him his first mission since being awakened. Coulson personally travels to Stark Tower to bring Tony Stark files containing information regarding his other potential teammates, Loki, and the Tesseract.
The team was assembled on the Helicarrier and initially had difficulty working together. Many of them did not want to form a team and they argued constantly over ideological differences. Tony Stark was reluctant to work under the command of Captain America. Thor demanded that Loki be returned to him and did not want to compromise. Everyone on the team was uncomfortable with the presence of Bruce Banner.
After Loki killed Phil Coulson and began his main attack, the Avengers decided to put their differences aside and went to New York City. During the battle, they learned to trust one another and rally in defense of New York as it was invaded by extraterrestrials known as the Chitauri. Captain America took command of the team and they all worked to suppress the invasion force. Hulk beat Loki into submission and Iron Man carried a nuclear weapon fired by the World Security Council into the portal through which the aliens entered Earth and destroyed their fleet, breaking the neural connection with their ground troops and instantly incapacitating them. The Avengers then took defeated Loki as their prisoner.
In the aftermath of the battle, the team rested and ate at the nearby Shawarma Palace. While they were eating, War Machine, who had come to New York to help fight, but was too late, entered the restaurant and was introduced to the Avengers. Later, the Avengers reassembled in their civilian clothes to watch Thor take both Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard.
Meanwhile, Nick Fury worked to resurrect the person that the team avenged, Phil Coulson. Anticipating the possible death of an Avenger, Nick Fury had Phil Coulson lead Project T.A.H.I.T.I., an operation inside a hidden safe house where the bodily fluids of an extraterrestrial were used to make various drugs, including one that could resurrect the dead. Coulson, though, recommended the project's shut down, due to its unusual side effects. Since Fury considered Coulson an Avenger, he used the procedure on him anyway. Coulson was successfully revived, albeit with altered memories, in order to maintain his sanity; the Avengers were kept in the dark about this, even Captain America, Black Widow and Hawkeye, who worked for S.H.I.E.L.D.
Considering how popular the team had become, a toy-line had been made called the "Heroes of New York" with action figures based on each Avenger.
With the rising threat of HYDRA, the Avengers were officially reassembled, with the financial backing of Tony Stark. Using the former Stark Tower, now renamed Avengers Tower, as their headquarters, and using the new drones of the Iron Legion, they embarked on several missions to ruin HYDRA's plans for world domination. Their main target was the cell of Wolfgang von Strucker, which was in possession of Loki's scepter.
- "Let's take 'em down fast, boys!"
- ―Captain America
When Black Widow intercepted a call from Jensen to her colleagues in Khartoum, the Avengers quickly flew in their Quinjet to the location of Jensen's lab. Though HYDRA managed to shoot down the Quinjet, the Avengers fiercely attacked HYDRA's soldiers. Despite their tanks, guns, and numerical superiority, HYDRA soldiers decided to retreat. Refusing to admit defeat, Dr. Jensen took the power gauntlets from one fallen soldier and attacked the Avengers with heavy energy blasts. However, Hawkeye sneaked up behind her and destroyed her weapon with one of his explosive arrows.
Thanks to information acquired by Phil Coulson and S.H.I.E.L.D. who gave it to Maria Hill, the Avengers were able to finally locate Loki's Scepter in Sokovia. The team attacked the base in force. The team fought as a unit, using skilled combat techniques which complemented each other's fighting styles. This synergy, coupled with their abilities and equipment, gave them a decisive advantage over the HYDRA defenders. During the battle, the super-powered Maximoff twins Pietro and Wanda also attacked the team and Hawkeye was injured in the process. Tony located the Scepter but as he went to retrieve it Wanda used her powers to show Stark his greatest fear: the entire team dead and the Chitauri invading Earth. Stark retrieved the Scepter and the team returned to the Avengers Tower.
Stark convinced Thor to let him study the Scepter for the next three days. Then he persuaded Banner to help him merge the Ultron Program with the artificial intelligence inside the gem on the Scepter. Three days later, their experiments were still unsuccessful. That night, the Avengers, Maria Hill, Helen Cho and James Rhodes were having a party, as they tried to lift Mjølnir. Unknowingly to Stark, the Ultron Program successfully reacted when exposed to the power of the gem, creating the new artificial being, Ultron.
After making a body from the damaged parts of the Iron Legion robots, Ultron appeared on the party, proclaiming that humanity was not worthy of survival. The Iron Legion, controlled by Ultron, attacked the Avengers, and although most of the robots were destroyed, including Ultron, one robot managed to escape with the Scepter, while Ultron's consciousness escaped via the internet.
After a brief battle, the lead Ultron robot was destroyed, although it claimed it would attack again. With the team gathered together, Stark began examining the robot to understand what caused it. He learned that it had destroyed J.A.R.V.I.S.' mainframe in a rage. Thor stormed in and grabbed Stark by the throat, accusing him of bringing destruction to the Earth. Stark defended himself, however, claiming that he was coming up with a solution to end the war he had caused. Stark asked how they were going to defeat him and Rogers responded that they would defeat him or lose as a team. The team later learned that Ultron had built himself a new body, had created an alliance with Wanda and Pietro Maximoff and had killed Wolfgang von Strucker and was planning on stealing Vibranium from Ulysses Klaue.
The team flew to South Africa where they found Ultron, along with Pietro and Wanda Maximoff, taking the Vibranium. They engaged in a fierce battle, with Tony Stark taking on Ultron alone while the rest of the team fought the Ultron Sentries and the Maximoff twins. Eventually, Stark brought down Ultron and destroyed his body. However, the team had been mentally taken down by Wanda, who showed them their worst fears.
She caused Bruce Banner to transform into Hulk in the middle of South Africa, and the Hulk started to destroy everything he could. Stark called for his Mark XLIV armor; he tried to contain the Hulk in an enforced metal cage, but when this failed, the friends began to fight. Eventually, Stark knocked the Hulk down, but not without collateral damage.
The Barton Home
To relax from their fears they had seen, and to hide until Maria Hill finds Ultron, the team arrived at Clint Barton's Homestead, where they learned that Barton had a wife and two children. Thor quickly went to meet Erik Selvig so he could help him understand the vision he had been shown.
Natasha Romanoff and Bruce Banner talked about their relations and Tony Stark and Steve Rogers argued about the reason Stark had created Ultron. Nick Fury was also in Barton's home and he talked with the team about their next move to stop Ultron. Banner then realized that Ultron wanted to improve his body, so he needed Helen Cho and the Cradle device to create his ultimate body.
Captain America, Black Widow and Hawkeye flew with the Avengers Quinjet to Seoul to retrieve the Cradle with the synthetic body in it. Tony Stark went to the NEXUS base in Oslo to find the person who prevented from Ultron getting nuclear codes. During the fight, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff helped the Avengers against Ultron, after they had discovered that he wanted to destroy the human race. They helped Captain America to save civilians during the battle. Black Widow managed to take the Cradle and gave it to Hawkeye, but she was kidnapped by Ultron. Hawkeye was forced to fly to the Avengers Tower to give it to Stark. The twins convinced Rogers that giving the Cradle to Stark will cause more troubles because he, like Ultron, could not see the difference between saving the world and destroying it.
Birth of Vision
Tony Stark and Clint Barton returned to the Avengers Tower. Barton brought with him the Cradle with the synthetic body in it, and he went to search for Romanoff. Stark revealed to Banner that J.A.R.V.I.S., who was not destroyed by Ultron as he thought, was the person who prevented Ultron to get the nuclear codes. Stark tried to convinced Banner to help him put J.A.R.V.I.S. inside the body. At first, Banner refused, but Stark claimed that it was the only hope they got to stop Ultron. Banner then agreed to help him.
As the two were almost finished, Steve Rogers with Wanda and Pietro Maximoff came and ordered them to shut it down. After they refused, the two and Barton fought against the three, but suddenly, Thor came in and revived the synthetic body with his lightning. The living body jumped out and briefly attacked Thor until he looked out over the city, the living body apologized and called itself the Vision and claimed to wish to assist them to fight Ultron. Thor explained that he had seen the Vision in his vision and the Mind Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones, that is in the Vision's forehead. At first, the team did not trust him, but as proof of his honor, Vision handed Thor his Mjølnir.
- "Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done. We find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."
- ―Captain America
The Avengers, alongside Wanda and Pietro Maximoff and Vision, found Ultron in Sokovia where Natasha Romanoff was held. Bruce Banner freed her from her cell while the Avengers evacuated the city. Tony Stark and Vision confronted Ultron and he revealed to them that he was planning to turn apart from Novi Grad into a meteor, lifted by Chitauri technology. The city was flying, and the Avengers fought against Ultron and his sentries.
The Avengers got assistance from Nick Fury, Maria Hill and the number of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents with the Helicarrier and they helped with evacuating the city, and from James Rhodes who helped with the battle. The Avengers regrouped to prevent Ultron from pressing the key that would cause the meteor to fall, becoming an extinction level event, killing billions. Ultron managed to kill Pietro Maximoff, who sacrificed himself to save Clint Barton. Wanda destroyed the main body of Ultron to avenge her brother's death, but a sentry pressed the key and the meteor fell. Stark and Thor caused the meteor to explode and Vision destroyed the last body of Ultron.
The New Team
With the defeat of Ultron, the original Avengers were no more. Banner flew to an unknown destination and was missing, Stark retired from active duty, choosing to remain as a non-combative member of the team, Thor returned to Asgard to research the Infinity Stones, and Barton officially retired from the roster and returned home to his wife and children. With the help of Fury, Hill, Cho, and Selvig, a new base, remodeled from an old Stark warehouse, was established for the Avengers, located in upstate New York. Captain America now leads a new team consisting of Black Widow, War Machine, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, and Vision.
The facility was visited by Ant-Man, who was told by his mentor, Hank Pym, that an old piece of Stark technology was needed to further their plans. Falcon, who spotted the intruder, engaged with him. After announcing himself as Scott Lang, he and Falcon got into a brief skirmish, which resulted in Falcon's defeat and Lang's successful escape with the gadget. Falcon then put word on the street that he was looking for Ant-Man.
With many destroyed Ultron Sentries from the Battle of Sokovia, HYDRA collected many of the parts and took them to an undisclosed location in Eastern Europe, where they used the parts to create the Ultimo. HYDRA then used the Ultimo to attack a small village. The Avengers reacted to the attack and destroyed Ultimo.
The Avengers tracked Brock Rumlow in Lagos, Nigeria. Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, and Scarlet Witch waited to locate him. Once a garbage truck crashed into the Institute for Infectious Diseases building, they went there and fought against Rumlow's mercenaries. Captain America entered the building, discovering that Rumlow had left with a biological weapon. Rumlow and his mercenaries escaped to a market, where they split up. Black Widow managed to take the weapon and Captain America and Rumlow fought each other.
At the moment Captain America gained the upper hand, he asked Rumlow who had hired him. Rumlow responded that it was Bucky Barnes and exploded himself to kill Captain America. However, Scarlet Witch caught the explosion with her power around Rumlow and tried to move the blast away, but inadvertently destroyed a nearby building and killing many of its occupants. Rogers asked Wilson to call the firefighters.
The Sokovia Accords
- "For the past four years, you operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."
- ―Thaddeus Ross
Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross visited the New Avengers Facility and explained to the Avengers that although they had saved the world many times, the governments of the world could not let them be an independent organization. He showed them the Sokovia Accords, a document that required the Avengers to operate under the overseeing of a United Nations panel.
The Avengers and Tony Stark argued on whether they should sign the Accords or not. Stark highly supported it, since he felt guilty for creating Ultron and the damages it caused. On the other hand, Steve Rogers did not agree with the Accords, claiming that the panel would send them where they would not think they should go, or would not send them where they should go. Eventually, only Stark, Natasha Romanoff, James Rhodes, and Vision agreed to sign the Accords while, Rogers, Sam Wilson and Wanda Maximoff were against it.
Home Falling Apart
In Vienna, the United Nations convened to approve the Sokovia Accords. However, during the conference, a bomb was set outside the Vienna International Centre building, killing the king of Wakanda. The authorities suspected Bucky Barnes to be responsible for it. Steve Rogers, knowing it was an illegal action, defended his longtime friend from the Joint Counter-Terrorist Centre and T'Challa, prince of Wakanda, who tried to kill Barnes in order to avenge his father's death. This ended up with Rogers' arrest by War Machine, along with Barnes, Sam Wilson, and T'Challa.
The four were brought to the Joint Counter-Terrorist Centre Building in Berlin, where Stark once again tried to convince Rogers to sign the Accords, but after he discovered that Wanda Maximoff was under house arrest by Vision under Stark's orders, he refused. As Barnes had a psychological test by a psychiatrist, a power outage occurred. Rogers suspected the psychiatrist had a part in it. Barnes managed to escape from his cell and Rogers, Wilson, Stark, Natasha Romanoff, Sharon Carter, and T'Challa tried to stop him. After Rogers prevented him from escaping in a helicopter, he, Wilson and Barnes went underground.
Rogers questioned Barnes, who told him that the psychiatrist, Helmut Zemo, was most likely going to the HYDRA Siberian Facility, where he could use the highly trained Winter Soldiers, who possessed enhanced abilities. Rogers did not trust Stark with this information, so he knew he must have a team to face him and Zemo. He asked Clint Barton to free Maximoff from the New Avengers Facility and pick up Scott Lang on his way to him. Meanwhile, Thaddeus Ross gave Stark 36 hours to bring Rogers, Wilson, and Barnes in. Knowing he could not do it alone, he recruited the teenage vigilante Peter Parker, while Romanoff recruited T'Challa. Rogers' team planned to take a Quinjet from the hangar and fly it to Siberia to stop Helmut Zemo's plan.
Captain America's team came to Leipzig/Halle Airport, but Iron Man's team waited for them. They gave Captain America one last chance to surrender, but he refused. The scattered team of Captain America caused a dispersion in Iron Man's team, who tried to catch the Winter Soldier and prevent them from reaching the Quinjet. The two teams fought each other until Captain America and his team reunited and ran to the Quinjet, but Vision arrived and stopped them with his energy blast. The two teams then faced and charged at each other.
During the fight, Hawkeye told Captain America they would stay and only he and Winter Soldier would go. Ant-Man increased his body to huge size to create a distraction for Captain America and the Winter Soldier to reach the Quinjet. Iron Man, War Machine, Vision, and Spider-Man worked together to take him down. Once Captain America and the Winter Soldier reached the hangar, Black Widow waited for them. However, she betrayed her team and stunned Black Panther to help the two reach Zemo. As they flew away, Iron Man and War Machine pursued them with Falcon behind them. Stark asked Vision, who checked on Wanda Maximoff, to take Falcon down. Vision missed his blast and hit War Machine's Arc Reactor. War Machine crashed to the ground but he survived. Rogers and Barnes managed to escape.
Steve Rogers' teammates were arrested after the battle in Leipzig/Halle Airport and were put in the Raft prison. Tony Stark told Natasha Romanoff that Thaddeus Ross knew she betrayed them, who made her run from the authorities. As Stark visited the prisoners, F.R.I.D.A.Y. informed him that the psychiatrist who had meant to interview Bucky Barnes had been killed by Helmut Zemo. Additionally, Zemo also had a wig and facial prosthesis matching the appearance of Barnes. Stark entered the Raft and asked Sam Wilson where he could find Rogers. After he told him, Stark wore his armor and flew to the HYDRA Siberian Facility.
Meanwhile, Rogers and Barnes arrived at the facility searching for Zemo. Stark also arrived and declared a ceasefire to find Zemo. They found the Winter Soldiers, all dead. Zemo revealed himself and explained that he wanted revenge on the Avengers for his loss of his family during the Battle of Sokovia. He showed them a video from 1991, in which Barnes, under HYDRA control, killed Stark parents. Stark demanded that Rogers would tell him if he had known that. After Rogers told him he had known, Stark tried to kill Barnes while Rogers tried to stop him, claiming it was not Barnes' fault. The three fought viciously. The fight eventually ended with Rogers taking Barnes with him and leaving his shield behind for Stark.
During the Battle at the HYDRA Siberian Facility, T'Challa, who had followed Tony Stark there, prevented Helmut Zemo from killing himself and had him arrested. After a few days, Stark helped James Rhodes, whose legs were paralyzed after the fall, with his rehabilitation in the New Avengers Facility. He received a letter from Steve Rogers, explaining that he was sorry for the recent events and he wished they could have agreed on the Sokovia Accords. While Stark read the letter, Rogers entered the Raft and freed Sam Wilson, Clint Barton, Wanda Maximoff and Scott Lang. The Avengers were divided, but Rogers promised Stark that he and his team would be there for him if he needed their help.
Offering Spider-Man a Place
Following his experience with the Avengers, Peter Parker continued helping the people of New York City, hoping that he would eventually be offered by Tony Stark to join the team. Parker entered into a conflict with the Vulture and his crew, which caused some severe damages in the city. Stark was disappointed at Parker, who let himself be in danger, so he confiscated the Spider-Man Suit. However, Parker could not let the Vulture complete his plan, so he stopped him from stealing some Stark Industries tech and also led to the Vulture's arrest. Stark was impressed by Spider-Man and finally offered him to join his Avengers team and a new suit. However, Parker declined the offer and the suit, claiming that he should be helping the ordinary civilians and learn more before joining.
Following Thanos' attack on the Statesman, Heimdall used the Bifrost Bridge to transport Bruce Banner to Earth. Felling onto the New York Sanctum, Banner warned Doctor Strange and Wong that Thanos' imminent arrival was coming. Tony Stark and Pepper Potts were talking about Stark's dream to have a baby, but were interrupted by Strange who called upon Stark and asked for his help. They explained the Infinity Stones to Stark in the Sanctum until they heard a sound outside. They saw the Q-Ship and were approached by Black Order members Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian, under the orders of Thanos to steal the Time Stone. The four fought the Order, although short-handed, as Banner was unable to turn into the Hulk, despite his best efforts.
The battle caught the attention of Peter Parker, who was on a school bus returning from a field trip, felt danger and saw the Q-Ship off in the distance. With the help of Ned Leeds, Parker was able to sneak away with his suit to go help. Parker arrived just in time to save Stark from an oncoming attack from Obsidian. They continued together, deflecting all of Obsidian's advances until Wong was able to teleport him away.
Meanwhile, Strange was battling Ebony Maw in an effort to prevent the Time Stone from being stolen. However, Maw was able to gain the upper-hand on Strange immobilizing him in the process. Parker, despite his best efforts, was unable to save Strange and left him hanging on to the Q-Ship, which was heading towards space. It also caused Parker to run out of breath causing Stark to order F.R.I.D.A.Y. to activate the Iron Spider Armor in an attempt to parachute Parker away from the ship to safety, but was unsuccessful, with Parker stowing away on it. In the aftermath of the battle, Wong decided to stay to protect the Sanctum due to Strange's absence and Banner opts to call Captain America to help locate Vision.
While walking on the streets of Edinburgh, Wanda Maximoff and Vision noticed a news report regarding the Attack on Greenwich Village. Vision suggested that he would leave immediately, and just when he was about to, suddenly, he was stabbed by Corvus Glaive, in an attempt to extract the Mind Stone from him. Proxima Midnight also arrived to help with the extraction. Glaive demanded that Vision hand over the stone, otherwise they would kill Maximoff. After being cornered into a train station, the Black Order made their move to get the stone, when from the shadows, Captain America, as well as Black Widow, and Falcon (who had been called by Bruce Banner to locate Vision) came out of hiding to defend Maximoff and Vision. Getting the upper hand, the Black Order then retreated, in a failed attempt to secure the stone.
As Tony Stark attempted to locate Doctor Strange, he ran into the Cloak of Levitation and Peter Parker and became angry with the latter for disobeying his direct order to return home. However, Parker claimed that he could not stay as a "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" if there was no neighborhood in the first place. Relenting, Parker came up with a plan to defeat Ebony Maw and save Strange by having Stark blast a hole in the hull of the Q-Ship causing Ebony Maw to be sucked out while Parker saved Strange from sharing his fate.
While Strange suggested they return to Earth, Stark insisted that they maintain the course the ship was heading and to ambush Thanos. Strange then told Stark that if it came down between sacrificing the life of Stark or Parker over the Time Stone he would for the good of the universe. Stark also appointed Parker as a member of the Avengers much to his delight.
With Doctor Strange, Iron Man, and Spider-Man aboard the Q-Ship that was on auto-pilot towards Titan, they arrived and met the Guardians of the Galaxy who arrived because of Nebula's order to Mantis. The two groups mistook each other for being allied with Thanos and fought each other until the identity of the Avengers were revealed. They organized a plan to defeat Thanos, whose arrival was to get the Time Stone. Doctor Strange looked over fourteen million outcomes from the future and knew that they would've only won once.
Thanos arrived and were ambushed by the Guardians and the few members of the Avengers. They all each fought valiantly and ferociously against Thanos and managed to hold their own effectively, although they could not restrain and defeat him despite their capability of repeatedly keeping Thanos from closing his fist, making him incapable of using the Infinity Gauntlet, which was only brief as Thanos would quickly break out of any hold they attempted.
Eventually, Nebula arrived and managed to distract Thanos long enough that they all overpowered Thanos (albeit barely) and Mantis was able to hold Thanos into a state of immobility, while the others were trying to work on removing the Gauntlet. The operation was almost successful until Star-Lord, discovering what Thanos had done to obtain the Soul Stone, leading to Gamora's death, became enraged and started to react violently to Thanos; punching him, due to his anger. The reaction made Thanos go free of Mantis' hold and threw off many of the team, and then he threw one of Titan's moon aboard the planet which slowed others off.
Doctor Strange confronted Thanos on his own and used a couple of spells to attack Thanos, all of which were repelled effectively with Thanos's skill with the Infinity Gauntlet's powers. Eventually, Thanos defeated Strange after dispersing all of the mystical copies Strange conjured and stunning him long enough for him to put him in a choke-hold using the Power and Soul Stones. Iron Man then confronted Thanos, battling valiantly, to the point where Stark made Thanos bleed, but only found himself no match for the Titan, who crushed Stark's armor bit by bit and swiftly defeated him by stabbing him with his own nanotech-fashioned dagger. Strange bargained the Time Stone for Stark's life and Thanos teleports to Earth, in search of the sixth and final Mind Stone.
With Vision now a target of the Black Order and Thanos, Captain America decided the best place to protect him would be Wakanda. Whilst Shuri worked on a way to separate the Mind Stone from Vision and keep him alive, Captain America, Black Panther, Black Widow, Bruce Banner, War Machine, Falcon as well as M'Baku and his army held off the Black Order and Outriders. Black Panther was forced to open the barrier to stop the Outriders from getting to Vision leading to the battle. During the battle, Scarlet Witch decided to join and was able to kill Proxima Midnight, with help from Black Widow and Okoye.
Meanwhile, Corvus Glaive managed to sneak up on Vision and attack him, but he was saved by Captain America. However, the overwhelming number of Outriders made it difficult for the Avengers to contain, with many getting overpowered. Suddenly, Thor arrived at the battle from Nidavellir using a Bifrost Bridge, with his newly made Stormbreaker and his new companions Groot and Rocket. Reunited with his fellow Avengers after three years, Thor and Captain America remarked on each other's hair and beards. Bruce Banner used the Hulk Buster suit to kill Cull Obsidian and Vision impaled Corvus Glaive with his own scepter.
However, unfortunately for the Avengers, as soon as they had defeated all of Thanos' forces, at the same moment Thanos had acquired the Time Stone and arrived on the Battle of Wakanda to get the final stone. Seeing this, Vision told Maximoff it was finally time to destroy the Mind Stone along with himself, which she reluctantly accepted to do just as Thanos was effortlessly knocking aside the remaining members of the Avengers and Guardians that stood in his way. Captain America was able to hold his hand back for a short time before Thanos knocked him out with his other hand.
Maximoff was able to hold back Thanos just long enough to destroy the Mind Stone, however, Thanos, in possession of the Time Stone, was able to reverse her effects, bring both Vision and the Mind Stone back before killing Vision a second time and adding the Mind Stone to his Gauntlet finally completing his quest. It was at this moment that Thor, in a last-minute attempt to stop him and avenge his people and brother, launched a full-power assault at the surprised Thanos.
Thor managed to impale Stormbreaker into Thanos' chest and then twisted it as deep as he could into the Titan's chest, wounding and agonizing him, as Thor claimed he had kept his word that he would kill Thanos. However, the blow was not enough to kill or hinder the Mad Titan and he simply mocked Thor, saying he "should have gone for his head" before snapping his fingers and teleporting away. Thor stood in silence, realizing and lamenting what he had failed to do. Realizing they had lost, many of the Avengers started to disintegrate including Barnes, T'Challa, Wanda, Groot, and Sam Wilson and leaving the remaining surviving Avengers to look on in horror, unable to do anything but accept defeat.
Call for Help
Following the Snap, the surviving Avengers on Earth retrieved Nick Fury's Transmitter Pager in Atlanta, which apparently was sending a call to someone. As Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff were watching the casualties counter in shock at the New Avengers Facility, James Rhodes informed them that the Pager had stopped working. The three asked Bruce Banner if he could make it work but he claimed that he did not understand what it was yet. However, Captain Marvel suddenly approached them, asking for Fury's whereabouts.
This section requires expansion
After the events of Thanos' Snap, Tony Stark and Nebula resorted to the Benatar in hopes of returning to Earth and reuniting with the Avengers. The Benatar only had a few supplies left since Stark and Nebula had been on the ship for more than twenty days. In case he would die in space, Stark recorded a message using his helmet for Pepper Potts explaining that he'll miss her. Afterward, Stark drifts off to sleep as Nebula sympathizes for him. Shortly after Tony Stark fell asleep, he awakened by a blinding light emitted from Captain Marvel. After Captain Marvel found Stark and Nebula's ship, she brings it back to the New Avengers Facility on Earth. Over in the middle of the field, Stark exited out of the ship and was reunited with Captain America, Pepper Potts, and the rest of the Avengers while Nebula sat with Rocket Raccoon on the Benatar.
After discovering where Thanos had been after the Snap, the Avengers planned an ambush attack against Thanos to recover the Infinity Stones and reverse what Thanos did. The Avengers used the Benatar to travel to the Garden, which was the planet that Thanos was on. After a reconnaissance by Captain Marvel, the Avengers landed on the planet and located Thanos' new home. They ambushed him and Thor sliced off his hand that held the Infinity Gauntlet with Stormbreaker. Unfortunately, the Infinity Stones were not on the Gauntlet, forcing Captain America to question the whereabouts of the Stones. Thanos replied that once the Snap was complete, the Stones had no purpose and that he had reduced the Stones to atoms. This forced Thor to slice off Thanos' head and the Avengers returned back to Earth.
Five years later, the Avengers became further torn apart after the fact that they could not reverse the effects of the Snap. In a San Francisco warehouse, a rat accidentally walked over the controls of the Quantum Tunnel, which was housed in Luis' van, and released Ant-Man from the Quantum Realm. After being released from the Quantum Realm, Scott reunited with his daughter and went to the New Avengers Facility to find the Avengers. Once Scott found the facility, he discussed the Quantum Realm with Rogers and Romanoff, explaining the physics behind the Realm and how five years had passed for the Avengers while it was only five hours for him.
Shortly after, Rogers, Romanoff, and Scott went to Tony Stark, who was living with his wife and his daughter in a lakeside cabin. Scott explained the Quantum Realm's physics and how they could retrieve the Infinity Stones from past key events, but Tony doubted his efforts because of the risks that came with it. After denying to join them, the group went to Bruce, who achieved balance between his human self and the Hulk. He said that quantum physics was beyond his level of expertise, but Romanoff returned the fact that they thought it was impossible for him to achieve this balance. Meanwhile, Tony was figuring out if time travel was possible, and it was.
A day later, Bruce, Rogers, Romanoff, and Scott began running tests with Luis' van to test Scott’s theory. After Scott appeared as a teenager, an old man, and a baby, this theory had been proven true. Tony Stark arrived at the Facility later on and joined with the rest of the Avengers, handing Rogers his shield. Meanwhile, Bruce and Rocket Raccoon went to find and recover Thor, who was the king of New Asgard, while Romanoff when to Tokyo to find Hawkeye, who became a vigilante. Both men went back to the Facility as Rocket began working on a quantum device while Bruce, Scott, Nebula, and Rhodes began working on a quantum suit similar to the Ant-Man Suit.
After a successful test run of the suit on Hawkeye, the Avengers began to plan out the recovery of the Stones by studying the locations of the six throughout recent history. They realized that three of the stones could be found in New York City, and two others were in space. The sixth could be found on Asgard. Separating into teams, the Avengers travelled back to various points in time: Captain America, Iron Man, Ant-Man and the Hulk traveled to New York in 2012 during the Battle of New York; Thor and Rocket to 2013 Asgard; and Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nebula and War Machine to 2014 Morag, the former two then heading off into space to Vormir.
In 2012, the Hulk makes his way to the New York Sanctum, where the Masters of the Mystic Arts are fending off the attacking Chitauri. After speaking to the Ancient One, Banner is given the Time Stone, given that he return it to that exact point in time once its purpose had been fulfilled in the future. Tony, Steve, and Scott infiltrated Stark Tower once Loki had been captured. Captain America followed S.H.I.E.L.D. agents as they took the Sceptre away to be studied, and gained their trust by claiming to be part of HYDRA. Stark and Lang attempted to steal the Tesseract from previous versions of Stark, Rogers, and Thor, but it was instead stolen by Loki, who disappeared alongside it. On the hunt for the escaped Loki, 2012 Steve Rogers found his future self. Believing him to be Loki in disguise, the two fought, with the future version eventually emerging triumphant. Lang and Banner returned the Time and Mind Stones to the future whilst Stark and Rogers traveled to S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters in 1970 to take the Tesseract and more Pym Particles.
Meanwhile, on Asgard one year later, Thor and Rocket found Jane Foster, whose body was housing the Reality Stone. Thor, distracted, spoke to his mother, who recognized that he was from the future. Rocket successfully extracted the Stone and the two returned to the future with it. In 1970, Stark managed to steal the Tesseract but encountered a past version of his father. The two talked, and Stark was able to gain closure on his childhood. Rogers became distracted with a past version of Agent Peggy Carter after collecting the Pym Particles. He then met up with Stark and the two returned to 2023.
On Morag in 2014, Barton and Romanoff departed in the Benatar to fly to Vormir. War Machine and Nebula knocked out the past self of Peter Quill and took the Orb for themselves. As they prepared to return to the present, Nebula was incapacitated by alternate memories from another version of her, who was in Thanos' ship with Thanos and Gamora, leaving her alone in the past. Alternate Nebula takes present Nebula's head-plate and gives her Pym Particles to Thanos, and then travels to 2023.
Barton and Romanoff, on Vormir, spoke to the Red Skull about the Soul Stone. After a brief fight to sacrifice themselves, Black Widow jumped from the cliff and fell to her death. Barton woke up with the Soul Stone and returned to the future. 
The New Gauntlet
As all of the Stones are gathered back into the present, the Avengers realized Romanoff's sacrifice to gain the Soul Stone. Tony, Rocket, and Bruce began working on a new Infinity Gauntlet. After the creation of the Gauntlet was complete, Rocket asked who was going to be the one to reverse the Snap. At first, Thor proposed himself, but the Avengers held him back because they said he was not in shape. Then, Bruce proposed himself saying that his body contained mostly gamma radiation.
Meanwhile, alternate Nebula began to sabotage the quantum device as Bruce put on the Gauntlet. The Avengers began worrying for him as he channeled the power of the Stones through his body. Thanos' mothership appeared overhead as Bruce snapped his fingers, bringing everyone who Thanos decimated back. Ant-Man guessed that it worked as he looked outside with Hawkeye receiving a call from his wife. Soon after, Thanos' mothership destroyed the New Avengers Facility, separating the Avengers, with the exception of Hawkeye, from the Gauntlet. 
- "Avengers! Assemble."
- ―Captain America
As Hulk, War Machine, and Rocket struggled to survive under the rubble of the destroyed facility, Hawkeye with the Nano Gauntlet worked to escape from the Outriders that pursued him through the rubble and debris of the facility. Meanwhile, Iron Man and Captain America met up with Thor who observed Thanos sitting amongst the rubble, waiting. Knowing that they must keep the Gauntlet away from the Mad Titan, the three engaged Thanos in combat.
During this, Scott awoke and hearing that Hulk, War Machine, and Rocket were in need of help made his way through the debris to aid his teammates. Clint eventually managed to escape the Outriders just barely but was then confronted by 2014 Nebula who took the Gauntlet off of him and was prepared to execute him before 2014 Gamora and the current Nebula arrived to stop her. While Nebula and Gamora attempted to negotiate with Nebula's past self and encourage her to break free from Thanos, 2014 Nebula was still too frightened of her adoptive father to risk betraying him and attempted to shoot Gamora before Nebula shot and killed her past self.
Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America continued to fight Thanos, but even with their combined might and teamwork, the Mad Titan proved to still be formidable and continued to overpower them knocking out Iron Man by using his body as a human shield to protect himself from a blow by Mjølnir and nearly killing Thor with Stormbreaker. However, Captain America had proved worthy of being able to lift Mjølnir and managed to briefly overpower Thanos but was still outmatched as Thanos stabbed him in the leg and broke off most of his shield with his blade.
Just when all seemed hopeless as Thanos brought all of his forces to Earth with the goal of finishing off the remaining Avengers, the fallen heroes revived by Hulk's snap along with their own allies arrived to provide aid to the remaining Avengers with Doctor Strange transporting himself, Spider-Man, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Falcon along with numerous Masters of the Mystic Arts sorcerers, Wakandan soldiers, Ravagers, and Asgardians led by Valkyrie. United and determined to finally stop Thanos once and for all, they charged into battle against Thanos and his forces.
As the battle raged on, the Avengers came up with a plan to use the Quantum Gate housed in Luis' van to return the Stones to their respective timelines so they could not only keep them out of Thanos reach but also keep the timelines from falling into chaos. The Avengers tried to get the gauntlet as far from Thanos as possible, but as soon as Scarlet Witch began to break Thanos' army, his mothership launched a bombing on the battlefield. Soon, Captain Marvel arrived and destroyed his mothership before taking the gauntlet from Peter Parker and tried to return the Stones using the Quantum Gate.
As soon as Captain Marvel was about to reach the van, Thanos destroyed it by throwing a metal rod at Luis' Van, sending a wave of energy that sent Captain Marvel flying back, leaving the Gauntlet vulnerable. As soon as the Gauntlet was dropped, Thanos and Tony raced to grab the Gauntlet, forcing Tony to push Thanos. Thanos beat Tony aside, but Captain Marvel arrived just as Thanos put on the Gauntlet. Captain Marvel and Thanos fought, but Thanos used the Power Stone to send her flying. Soon, Thanos gained all the power within the Gauntlet, but as a last minute hope, Tony latched on to the Gauntlet hoping to get it off, but Thanos punched him off. Thanos, in his moment of pride, snapped his fingers.
Death of Tony Stark
However much to his shock and horror, the Mad Titan found that nothing had happened and that the glove was empty before looking towards Iron Man who had managed to insert the Stones into his own Gauntlet and with the last of his strength proceeded to snap his fingers, eliminating all of Thanos' forces and Thanos himself who could only solemnly accept his defeat and he too disintegrated into dust. However, while the heroes had won the price came at a heavy cost. Iron Man, having been unable to withstand the Stones' incredible power, was fatally wounded. With his final breath, he talked to Peter Parker, James Rhodes, and his wife Pepper Potts who assured him that they were safe and that he could rest before he passed away as the rest of the Avengers mourned the loss of their friend and teammate.
Legacy of the Avengers
Everyone celebrated the Avengers after they were recognized for their duty in the Battle of Earth. Clint returned to his family, Scott returned to his, Peter returned to his life reuniting with Ned Leeds, and the people of Wakanda celebrated. A few days later, a funeral was held for Tony at Tony's and Pepper's lakeside cabin. Tony left a recorded message explaining how things should be in the aftermath of the battle and what the future should look like in raising Morgan.
After the funeral, Clint spoke with Wanda, explaining that he wishes that Romanoff was there with them so that he could tell her that they won. Wanda replied that both Vision and Romanoff would know. Thor would make Valkyrie the new queen of New Asgard as he would go on to join the Guardians of the Galaxy, jokingly renaming them the "Asgardians of the Galaxy".
Rogers planned out a mission to return the alternate Infinity Stones back to their original times with the help of Bruce, Sam, and Bucky. After Rogers gave his goodbyes, he used a mobile quantum device and went back in time. The group thought that Rogers would come out as quickly as he went in, but he didn't come out. Instead, Bucky found an old man sitting by the cliffside who was actually Rogers.
Sam went to talk with Rogers, who followed what Tony said about having a good life. He worried about the world without having Captain America, but Rogers passed the mantle of his shield to Sam, who doubted his skills being up to par with Rogers at first. Sam found out why he was old by looking at a wedding ring that Rogers was wearing. Rogers went back in time to finally give that dance with Peggy Carter.
The Avengers would go on to be once again praised worldwide for their heroic and victorious efforts in bringing back those who died to the Snap. Also, the fallen heroes were honored: Stark, Romanoff, Vision and even Rogers, who was believed to be deceased. After a year, there was no activity from the Avengers, causing the world to grow concern about their whereabouts or if they were even still around at all. Seeking answers from the person who would know, people began to ask Nick Fury, unbeknownst that it was actually Talos impersonating him while he was on vacation in space.
- Name: Steve Rogers
- Activity: 2012; 2015 - 2016; 2018; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Steve Rogers is a World War II veteran and the team's leader. After Abraham Erskine's Super Soldier Serum transformed the frail Steve Rogers into the powerful and heroic Captain America, his amazing World War II exploits made him a living legend. He is considered to be the world's first superhero. Rogers destroyed multiple HYDRA bases, slowly crippling the organization. During his final battle with the leader of HYDRA, the infamous Red Skull, Rogers crashed a plane into the Arctic and was frozen in ice for nearly seventy years. He was eventually found by S.H.I.E.L.D. and resuscitated. Shortly after his revival, Rogers found himself alone in a modern world that he hardly recognizes. When Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D., called on Rogers to help save the world again, he quickly suited up as Captain America, taking up his iconic shield and bringing his strength, leadership and no-nonsense attitude to the Avengers in the Chitauri Invasion. After the team disbanded as a result of the Ultron crisis, Captain America formed a new lineup alongside Black Widow. However, he had to face against some of his members led by Iron Man because of Rogers' disagreements with the Sokovia Accords and defending the Winter Soldier. As a result, Captain America was tagged as a fugitive. Rogers returned leading the Avengers following Thanos' attack on Earth. He fought in the Battle of Wakanda in order to protect Vision's Mind Stone, but he failed when Thanos claimed the stone and wiped out half of the universe. Rogers left the Avengers afterward to console the survivors of Thanos' Snap, though still visited the Compound to do his laundry. Years later, Rogers rejoined the team to traveled back in time to reclaim the Infinity Stones in a series of time heists proposed by Scott Lang. Once the Snap was reversed after collecting the six Infinity Stones, he fought an alternate version of Thanos in 2023. In the battle, he proved to be worthy of handling the Mjølnir and commanded the forces of the Avengers and their allies. After the alternate Thanos' army defeat, he traveled to the past to return the Infinity Stones. Instead of traveling back, he decided to live his life with Peggy Carter in the '40s. In 2023, as an old man, he gifted Sam Wilson the shield.
- Name: Tony Stark
- Activity: 2012; 2015 - 2018; 2023
- Status: Deceased
- Description: Tony Stark was a self-proclaimed eccentric genius, billionaire, playboy, and philanthropist. After being abducted by the Ten Rings terrorist organization, who desired his company's weapons technology, Stark constructed a high-tech suit of armor that aided him in his escape. Shaken from the experience, Stark seeks to bring about world peace using other suits, each one more advanced than the last. His heroic adventures have brought him into contact with enemies, including Obadiah Stane, Ivan Vanko, Justin Hammer, and Aldrich Killian. However, his self-destructive nature and love for fame made his actions less than discrete and attracted the attention of Nick Fury. Stark reluctantly agreed to serve as a consultant to Nick Fury's peacekeeping intelligence agency S.H.I.E.L.D., and later teamed up with them and the Avengers to take down Loki during the Chitauri Invasion. Usually, when not on his own or with the Avengers, he teams up with his best friend and partner, James Rhodes. After the defeat of Ultron, Stark chose to semi-retire from the Avengers, choosing to become an active duty non-combatant instead, as he was shaken by his unwitting role in the chaos Ultron caused. His choice to side with the Sokovia Accords led him to fight against his friend, Steve Rogers, causing the Avengers to divide into two groups. Despite the team's disbanded following the conflict, Stark continued working for the Avengers, notably training Spider-Man as a potential member. Iron Man found himself teaming up with Doctor Strange and the Guardians of the Galaxy to defeat Thanos before he could complete his Infinity Gauntlet. However, they failed to do so and Stark was left alone with Nebula on Titan after the rest were disintegrated by Thanos. He and Nebula returned to Earth after Captain Marvel found them adrift in space. He reunited with Pepper and the rest of the Avengers and sought out to find the Infinity Stones after the discovery that Thanos destroyed them. He went back in time with Captain America and Ant-Man to find the Space and Mind stones. Once the Avengers found the stones and reversed successfully the Snap, an alternate version of Thanos from the past traveled in time and attacked the New Avengers Facility, setting off the Battle of Earth. Stark fought fiercely against Thanos' army and at the climax of the battle, Stark used the Infinity Stones to turn Thanos and his army into dust, at the cost of his own life. A funeral was held in his honor, mourned by the Avengers, their allies and friends.
- Name: Natasha Romanoff
- Activity: 2012; 2015 - 2016; 2018 - 2023
- Status: Deceased
- Description: Natasha Romanoff was a former Russian spy and a member of S.H.I.E.L.D., the international counterintelligence agency that founded the Avengers, before it collapsed at the hands of HYDRA. Even in her short career at S.H.I.E.L.D., Romanoff has turned covert espionage into an art form. Armed with an extensive complement of high-tech weaponry and armaments, as well as a vast repertoire of martial arts and hand-to-hand combat training, Romanoff's skill-set seems to know no bounds. After Loki declared war on Earth, Romanoff joined the Avengers, despite not being applied to the initiative, and contributed greatly in the team's battle against Loki and the Chitauri. She and Captain America remained members of the team after the defeat of Ultron, recruiting new members under Nick Fury's counsel. Romanoff initially supported the Sokovia Accords but chose to betray Tony Stark, realizing the damage their fight against the Avengers opposing the Accords was causing. After allowing Captain America and the Winter Soldier to escape, she was forced to go on the run. She rejoined the Avengers following Thanos' attack on Earth and fought his army during the Battle of Wakanda. Shortly after Thanos' Snap, she returned to the New Avengers Facility with the remaining Avengers. After Stark's and Nebula's return, she and the other Avengers began plotting out a course to find Thanos and reverse the Snap. Having learnt that Thanos destroyed them, she went with the Avengers back in time to retrieve the Soul stone on Vormir with Hawkeye. They discovered what had to be done in order to retrieve the stone, so they both fought each other because they wanted to kill themselves for the greater cause. As their battle was coming to an end, Hawkeye was hanging on to Romanoff's arm and she finally sacrificed herself to help Barton obtain the Soul Stone. Thanks to her sacrifice, the Avengers could reverse the Snap and revive all others killed by it.
- Name: Bruce Banner
- Activity: 2012; 2015; 2018; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Bruce Banner is a graduate from Culver University who was hired by the military general Thaddeus Ross to develop a new variation of the Super Soldier Serum that brought Captain America into being. Using gamma radiation, Banner succeeded in his experiments, but the results were more disastrous than he thought as he involuntarily transformed into a monster known as Hulk. Now, fearful of the damage that Hulk could inflict, Banner chose to live a discreet life in remote parts of the world, working to cure the sick and help the poor while trying to elude those who would take advantage of his ability to change into the enormous, green menace. Unknown to Banner, Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. watched over him and kept hostile forces off his back, as Fury saw Banner's transformation as being a valuable asset to the agency's Avengers Initiative. Despite his chagrin, Banner aided the Avengers greatly in the Chitauri Invasion, and later became good friends with Tony Stark and worked with him numerous times. Together, the two created the artificial intelligence Ultron, initially as a peacekeeping program, only for the AI to go rogue and force the Avengers to assemble once again. In the ensuing conflict, Banner was declared missing in action during the Battle of Sokovia and was last reported as being on the Avengers Quinjet. After two years on Sakaar, Hulk was returned to Earth by Heimdall to warn the Avengers of the coming of Thanos. However, Hulk's disinterest in simply being used by Banner as a means to an end stripped Banner of his strength, forcing him to use the Hulkbuster 2.0 instead during the Battle of Wakanda. Seeking to solve his and Hulk's split personality after the Snap, Banner spent 18 months in a laboratory and was able to merge him and Hulk together, ending up in a body with Banner's mind and intellect, but the Hulk's physical body and strength. After being sought out by the Avengers to build a time machine, he traveled back alongside Stark, Rogers and Scott Lang to the Battle of New York. After returning, he donned the new Infinity Gauntlet and resurrected those killed in the Snap. He later fought an alternate version of Thanos' army in the final battle.
- Name: Thor Odinson
- Activity: 2012; 2015; 2018; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Thor is the heir of Odin, the former King of New Asgard. When Thor's headstrong ways nearly plunged his realm into war, Odin banished Thor to Earth as punishment, where his otherworldly antics drew the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. While in exile on Earth, Thor learned humility and helped to save his new friends from a destructive threat sent by his jealous adoptive brother Loki. In the process, Thor redeemed himself in the eyes of his father, and attempted to confront Loki over his actions; the ensuing confrontation resulted in Loki's own exile. After being welcomed back to Asgard as a hero, Thor must now return to Earth once again to prevent a cosmic-level catastrophe. With Mjølnir, a legendary hammer with immense power, in his hand, the mighty warrior soon finds himself drawn into an unlikely alliance with Nick Fury's secret initiative, the Avengers, lending his power to their cause against Loki and his army. When the crisis with Ultron took place years later, Thor grouped with the Avengers again. However, once that ordeal had ended, Thor left his mortal compatriots once more, returning to Asgard to further understand his vision on the mysterious and powerful Infinity Stones. Following Ragnarök and losing his right eye at the hands of his sister Hela, and the Attack on the Statesman by Thanos, Thor went to forge Stormbreaker with Rocket Raccoon and Groot, and then joined the Avengers in the Battle of Wakanda, where he helped his fellow Avengers and Wakandan army to defeat Thanos' army and also made a failed attempt to kill Thanos. Embarrassed and plagued with guilt and depression, Thor retired to New Asgard, where he became a drunken alcoholic. Years later, Rocket Raccoon and Bruce Banner convinced him to rejoin the Avengers, and he participated in their Time Heist, traveling alongside Rocket to his home in 2013. He fought Thanos using both Stormbreaker and an alternate version of Mjølnir. After the battle ended with the death of Thanos and his forces, Thor appointed Valkyrie as the Queen of Asgard and joined the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Name: Clint Barton
- Activity: 2012; 2015; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Clint Barton is an elite S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, codenamed as Hawkeye. A master marksman and specialist in archery, Barton has been assigned on various different missions and faced numerous dangers in his career; it was one of these missions that brought his comrade, Natasha Romanoff, into S.H.I.E.L.D. Before the Chitauri Invasion, Hawkeye was assigned by Nick Fury to keep watch over Erik Selvig while the doctor was studying the Tesseract; Hawkeye was subsequently brainwashed by Loki during the destruction of Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S. and unwillingly aided him in setting up his invasion of New York. However, after the attack on the Helicarrier, he was freed from Loki's mental control and joined the Avengers to fight against Loki's alien army. After that, he continued to work for S.H.I.E.L.D. until its collapse, after which he then returned to the Avengers and assisted in bringing down Ultron. Once that threat had been dealt with, Barton chose not to remain with the Avengers and chose instead to return to his wife and children. However, Barton teamed with Captain America with his fight against the Sokovia Accords and its supporters. After the Clash of the Avengers, Barton and the others siding with Captain America went into hiding. While Romanoff went with Falcon and Captain America on secret missions, and Wanda Maximoff and Vision stayed in Europe, Barton went into house arrest. After the Snap, he sought out criminal gangs under the new identity of Ronin. He was met years later by the Black Widow and joined her on the Time Heist to Vormir. Attempting to sacrifice himself for her, Barton was devastated when she saved him to kill herself. After collecting the Infinity Stones and using them successfully to revive those killed by the Snap, Barton fought in Battle of Earth with the rest of the Avengers and their allies.
- Name: Pietro Maximoff
- Activity: 2015
- Status: Deceased
- Description: Pietro Maximoff was a man who was born in Sokovia with his twin sister, Wanda. When the twins were children, their parents died in a bombing involving Tony Stark's weapons technology. As the two grew up, Sokovia was caught up in constant war and strife, and the twins regularly took part in various protests meant to drive military forces out of their home. Wolfgang von Strucker, the leader of a secret HYDRA group set up in Sokovia, recruited Pietro and Wanda to take part in a series of tests involving the Scepter. The energy from the scepter transformed the twins, granting them superpowers. Pietro himself was gifted with superhuman speed, and his talents, as well as his sister's, led to their indoctrination by Ultron in his campaign against the Avengers. The twins assisted Ultron greatly for a time, before learning of his genocidal intents towards humanity; they turned against Ultron, deciding to instead help the Avengers stop him. However, Quicksilver was killed in the battle, shot dead protecting Hawkeye and Costel.
- Name: Wanda Maximoff
- Activity: 2015 - 2016; 2018; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Wanda Maximoff is a native of the Eastern European country of Sokovia who grew up solely in the company of her twin brother, Pietro after their parents were killed by the weaponry of Tony Stark's making. In an effort to help purge their country of warfare, the twins agreed to undergo experiments with the Scepter under the supervision of Wolfgang von Strucker's HYDRA cell, and achieved superpowers as a result, with Wanda attaining various telekinetic and energy manipulating abilities. In his mission to bring about the genocide of the human race, Ultron took great use of the pair, manipulating their enmity towards Tony Stark to serve his own needs. But upon learning of Ultron's true motives, Wanda and Pietro rebelled against the Android and joined up with the Avengers in the Battle of Sokovia, where Pietro was killed, leaving Wanda devastated. She later joined up with Captain America's second incarnation of the Avengers. Maximoff disagreed with the Sokovia Accords, causing her to fight against some of her teammates, including her love interest, Vision. She later went on the run along with her fellow teammates that opposed the Accords. She fought in the Infinity War, during which she was disintegrated when Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet to wipe out half the life in the universe. She was revived five years later by the Hulk, who reversed the effects of the Snap by using the new Infinity Gauntlet and fought on the side of the Avengers in the Battle of Earth.
- Name: Vision
- Activity: 2015 - 2018
- Status: Destroyed
- Description: Vision was a powerful synthetic life form originally constructed by Helen Cho and then perfected by the deranged artificial intelligence, Ultron, using the power of the Mind Stone hidden within the Scepter. Ultron sought to make the synthetic's body his own, but fortunately, the body was claimed by the Avengers and perfected by Tony Stark, who uploaded into it the consciousness of his own AI, J.A.R.V.I.S., granting the synthetic life. Calling himself the Vision, the robot proved his faithfulness to the Avengers and assisted them as a last minute addition in the Battle of Sokovia. Vision himself was responsible for Ultron's defeat and remained with the Avengers when they were reformed by Captain America. However, the Avengers divided into two groups, after some of the members' disagreements with the Sokovia Accords. Despite his love towards Wanda Maximoff, he chose to fight her and the members who opposed the Accords. Vision was killed by Thanos in the Battle of Wakanda when Thanos undid Maximoff's destruction of the Mind Stone with the Time Stone and personally removed the stone from Vision, killing him again.
- Name: James Rhodes
- Activity: 2015 - 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: James Rhodes is a United States Air Force Colonel and military liaison to Stark Industries and a close friend of Tony Stark. He appropriated his Mark II Iron Man suit and had it modified by Hammer Industries into the War Machine Armor. During the government's alliance with the think tank A.I.M., Rhodes became known as the Iron Patriot to boost morale as he investigated alleged attacks by the terrorist group the Ten Rings until A.I.M. was exposed as being behind them and Rhodes resumed using the War Machine codename, which he personally preferred. Rhodes aided the Avengers during the Battle of Sokovia and joined the team in its second incarnation. Rhodes joined his friend Tony Stark and the Avengers who supported the Sokovia Accords and fought against those who were opposed to them, ending in Rhodes getting injured and nearly paralyzed. He eventually reunited and reconciled with his returning teammates and helped them in battling Thanos' army in Wakanda. He spent time doing recon work after the Snap and frequently spoke to Black Widow. He went on the Time Heist to Morag in 2014 alongside Nebula and retrieved the Orb. Rhodes fought an alternate Thanos' army in the Battle of Earth.
- Name: Sam Wilson
- Activity: 2015 - 2016; 2018; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Sam Wilson is a United States Air Force veteran who was one of the test pilots for the EXO-7 Falcon flight harness, but after his partner, Riley was killed in action, he worked as a counselor for veterans in Washington, D.C., where he became acquainted with Steve Rogers. Rogers and Natasha Romanoff turned to his help when they discovered S.H.I.E.L.D. had been compromised by HYDRA, and he donned his wings again to aid in stopping Project Insight. Afterward, Wilson investigated the Winter Soldier's whereabouts on Rogers' behalf as he was preoccupied with leading the Avengers against HYDRA, before joining the second incarnation of the team. He stayed loyal to Rogers as they faced against Iron Man and his supporters on the Sokovia Accords, causing Wilson to go on the run with the rest of those who opposed the Accords. He fought in the Infinity War, during which he was disintegrated when Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet to wipe out half the life in the universe. He was revived five years later by the Hulk, who reversed the effects of the Snap by using the new Infinity Gauntlet and fought on the side of the Avengers in the Battle of Earth. He is later named the new Captain America by aged Rogers, carrying his legacy into the future.
- Name: Peter Parker
- Activity: 2018; 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Peter Parker is a high school student and a superhero with spider-like abilities, fighting crime as his alter-ego Spider-Man. After receiving his abilities from a spider's bite, Parker chose to protect Queens from crime with his powers, juggling all of his superhero duties and the demands of his high school life. Despite his best efforts to keep his identity secret from the world, he was found and recruited by Tony Stark in the Avengers Civil War, while gaining a new suit and technology in exchange for his help. Following the Clash of the Avengers, Stark allowed Parker to keep the suit for his time as Spider-Man. Parker forged a reputation for himself in New York City and became a well-known local hero. He later stumbled into a group of criminals led by the Vulture, who were creating advanced weapons from stolen Chitauri technology, and went on a quest to defeat their own leader in order to prove to Stark that he was worthy of being an Avenger. Only after defeating Vulture did Parker discover the true responsibilities of a hero, so he decided to decline Stark's offer of membership in the Avengers, in order to continue being a "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man". After he helped his mentor in rescuing Doctor Strange from Ebony Maw, Stark made Parker an official Avenger and the three fought alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy to defeat Thanos on Titan. Thanos, however, managed to completely overpower them and head for Earth. He was disintegrated when Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet to wipe out half the life in the universe. He was revived five years later by the Hulk, who reversed the effects of the Snap by using the new Infinity Gauntlet and fought on the side of the Avengers in the Battle of Earth.
- Name: Subject: 89P13
- Activity: 2018 - 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Rocket is a genetically-engineered raccoon-like alien species who formed an alliance with the Flora colossus, Groot. The two traveled the galaxy, stealing items to sell for cash, resulting in imprisonment twenty-two times. During the Quest for the Orb, Rocket and Groot joined forces with Star-Lord, Gamora and Drax to form the Guardians of the Galaxy. This group defeated Ronan the Accuser, who had been sent by Thanos to steal the Power Stone. Four months later, the group met Peter Quill's father Ego the Living Planet. After hearing of Ego's decision to take over the Universe, Rocket and the Guardians of the Galaxy joined forces with Ravagers Yondu Udonta and Kraglin Obfonteri, Gamora's sister Nebula, and Ego's servant Mantis to defeat him. Four years later, the group discovered the remains of the Statesman and Thor. Rocket and Groot joined Thor in his quest for a new weapon to kill Thanos. After building Stormbreaker with help from Eitri, the trio arrived on Earth to participate in the Battle of Wakanda. Rocket was one of the survivors of the Snap but had to watch Groot die again. He spent time doing recon work after the Snap and frequently spoke to the Black Widow. After helping Tony Stark and Bruce Banner build a time machine, he was sent to Asgard alongside Thor to the year of 2013, where he was able to extract the Reality Stone from the infected Jane Foster. Rocket was almost killed in the Attack on the New Avengers Facility alongside War Machine, but they were eventually rescued by Ant-Man. He survived and participated in the Battle of Earth before returning to the Guardians.
- Name: Carol Danvers
- Activity: 2018 - 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Carol Danvers is a former United States Air Force pilot, whose pilot call is the originator of Avengers' namesake, inspired by Nick Fury. She gained cosmic powers after being exposed to the effects of the Tesseract/Space Stone. She and Nick Fury teamed up to defeat the Skrulls' supposed invasion until they learned the truth behind the Kree's schemes in 1995, and the two departed once the ordeal was over. Danvers left Fury a pager for him to call her on in emergencies. Activated during the Snap, Danvers arrived on Earth to save Fury but was too late to learn he was amongst the victim of that event. Teaming with the Avengers, she traveled to the Garden and held Thanos down alongside Bruce Banner and War Machine. Once Thor killed Thanos, Danvers left to help guard the rest of the universe. During the next five years, she stayed in contact with Black Widow. In 2023, she arrived in the Battle of Earth and destroyed Thanos' ship, saving everyone below. She fought alongside the many allied forces of heroes.
- Name: Nebula
- Activity: 2018 - 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Nebula is Luphomoid and the adopted daughter of Thanos and Adopted sister of Gamora. From a young age, she was taken by Thanos and trained to be an assassin, where every time Gamora would beat her a piece of her body would be replaced by machinery, making her a cyborg. In 2014, she and Gamora were lent to Ronan the Accuser by Thanos, where she served him loyally. During the Skirmish on Knowhere, she took the opportunity to betray Thanos and Ronan. 3 months later, she assisted the Guardians in killing Ego. After she attempted to kill Thanos. he captured her, keeping her on his ship, frequently torturing her to find out where the Soul Stone was from Gamora. Unfortunately, Thanos sacrificed Gamora for the stone. During the events of Infinity war, she joined the Avengers to help take down Thanos after escaping from his ship. She assisted on the fight on Titan. During the Snap, she survived along with Tony Stark, but was trapped in space drifting endlessly in their ship for 23 days until Captain Marvel saved them both. During the year of 2023, Nebula teams up with War Machine, as well as Black Widow, and Hawkeye for the Power and Soul Stones in 2014. While Black Widow and Hawkeye splintered for Vormir to retrieve the Soul Stone, Nebula partnered with War Machine to seize the Power Stone before Star-Lord could get ahold of it. They were successful and returned the stone to 2023. Once the people killed in the Snap were bought back alive, Nebula fought in the Battle of Earth, where she assisted Rocket Raccoon and Ant-Man. The 2014 version of herself was causing lots of trouble, resulting in present time Nebula shooting her through the heart. She managed to survive the rest of the battle, continuing to join the Guardians.
- Name: Okoye
- Activity: 2018 - 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Okoye is the general of the Dora Milaje and head of Wakanda's armed forces. She served under King T'Challa's command and briefly under Killmonger's when the later rightfully took the throne by throwing T'Challa off a waterfall during ritual combat. However, when T'Challa returned alive and having seen Killmonger's despotic rule she rebelled against him with other Wakandans and helped T'Challa recover the throne. She fought in the Battle of Wakanda against Thanos' forces under T'Challa's command. Sometime after the Snap, Okoye became a member of the Avengers taking missions all over Africa and reporting directly to Black Widow. Okoye alongside a revived T'Challa, Shuri and Wakandan forces assisted the rest of the Avengers and their allies in the Battle of Earth against an alternate version of Thanos' army from the past.
- Name: Scott Lang
- Activity: 2023
- Status: Alive
- Description: Scott Lang is a former criminal who was convinced by Pym Technologies CEO Hank Pym to take up his mantle as the new Ant-Man. As Ant-Man, Lang fought against Darren Cross, Pym's protégé who became obsessed with Pym Particles and intended to recreate and sell the technology to terrorist organizations. While fighting Cross, Scott sends both him and Cross into the Quantum Realm but manages to come back safely, seeing briefly Pym's wife, Janet, in the process. He participated in the Clash of the Avengers on the side of Captain America, previously recruited by Falcon whom he encountered while helping Pym against Cross. However, having supported the illegal cause of Rogers, Scott ended up arrested and remained under house arrest after making a deal with Ross. Near the end of his sentence, Lang received a message through a dream from Janet and after discussing of this with Hank and Hope van Dyne agreed on helping them to make Janet return from the Quantum Realm by using a Quantum Tunnel. They had to deal with Ava Starr and Bill Foster in the process, who wanted to use the only chance to open the tunnel to heal Ava from a quantum disorder that makes her body phase uncontrollably. Having returned Janet from the Quantum Realm, Lang entered there once again assisted by the Pym family so he can collect quantum energy in order to provide Ava a cure. While doing this task is when Thanos' Snap happened, unable to return, due to the Pym family being among the victims. Five years later, Lang came out of the Quantum Realm by a coincidence without aging. He proposed the Avengers a series of time heists to recover the Infinity Stones and undo Thanos' deeds. Having succeeded, he fought with the rest of the Avengers and their allies against an alternate version of Thanos from the past in the final battle.
- The formation of the Avengers at the hands of S.H.I.E.L.D. as portrayed in The Avengers follows the same premise as The Ultimates, a modern re-imagining of the Avengers within the comic book universe.
- With the exception of Black Widow and Hawkeye, the order in which the Avengers are introduced in the series follows the original founding lineup portrayed in the comics, although both of them become members later in different lineups.
- Despite forming alliances with the Masters of the Mystic Arts, the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Nation of Wakanda, only members or former members of the Avengers were able to defeat the members of the Black Order during the events of Infinity War.
- ↑ Captain Marvel
- ↑ Iron Man Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Iron Man 2
- ↑ Thor
- ↑ Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant
- ↑ The Incredible Hulk
- ↑ Captain America: The First Avenger
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 The Avengers
- ↑ The Avengers Post-credits Scene
- ↑ Iron Man 3 Prelude
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.11: The Magical Place
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.14: T.A.H.I.T.I.
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.20: Nothing Personal
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.22: Beginning of the End
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 1.10: The Bridge
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 16.5 16.6 16.7 16.8 16.9 Avengers: Age of Ultron
- ↑ Avengers: Operation HYDRA
- ↑ Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 2.19: The Dirty Half Dozen
- ↑ Ant-Man
- ↑ Captain America: Road to War
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 21.4 21.5 Captain America: Civil War
- ↑ Spider-Man: Homecoming
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 23.3 23.4 Avengers: Infinity War
- ↑ Captain Marvel Mid-credits Scene
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2 25.3 25.4 25.5 25.6 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ Spider-Man: Far From Home