Agatha Harkness is a witch from Salem, Massachusetts, who was accused of practicing dark magic by her own coven during the Salem witch trials. Three hundred years later in 2023, she sensed the presence of chaos magic radiating from the Hex in Westview, created by Wanda Maximoff. Unfazed by her thrall over the population, Harkness became fascinated and obsessed with harnessing Maximoff's magic. Living under the pretense of the WandaVision sitcom, Harkness stole Ralph Bohner's house and posed as his housewife Agnes, Maximoff's nosy neighbor, all the while interfering with her idyllic paradise to her own benefit. Discovering that Maximoff was Scarlet Witch, Harkness was defeated, and stripped of her magical abilities, indefinitely condemned into living out her life as Agnes in Westview.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Salem Witch
- 1.2 Westview Anomaly
- 1.3 Agatha All Along
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Behind the Scenes
- 10 References
- 11 External Links
Stealing Dark Magic
Agatha Harkness' Trial
In 1693, during the Salem witch trials, Harkness was caught by her coven for practicing dark magic and was dragged through the woods and bound to a wooden post. Evanora Harkness, her mother, inquired if she was a witch, which she affirmed. Evanora responded by saying she had betrayed her coven, stole knowledge above her place, and practiced the darkest of magic, which Harkness denied.
The witches tried to kill Harkness with energy beams as Harkness pleaded with Evanora. Harkness continued to cry until her powers took over and she reversed the effect of the beams onto the witches, killing them. Harkness broke free of the post and killed Evanora before taking the brooch off her mother's corpse and flying away.
Welcoming Wanda Maximoff
One day in late 2023, Harkness sensed a confusing mixture of magical energy coming from the town of Westview, New Jersey. When she arrived there, she discovered it was in a warped reality that appeared like a 50s sitcom, and everyone in it was under the control of former Avenger Wanda Maximoff. Harkness decided she needed to know how Maximoff created this reality, as it was greater than any magic she had seen before, and entered the anomaly, being the only person in it unaffected by it, besides Maximoff. To do so, she used the Darkhold to enhance her powers.
Harkness decided to sneak herself into Maximoff's family dynamic, under the guise of clueless housewife named Agnes, in order to slowly ease Maximoff out of the fantasy she had made for herself. Agnes was the first neighbor who greeted Maximoff, after she and Vision moved to Westview as a happily married couple. Once Maximoff had introduced herself, Agnes noticed how Maximoff had arranged their belongings so quickly, and Maximoff lied to her that she had used a moving service.
Maximoff shared that she was preparing for a special occasion later that day, and instead affirmed Agnes' guess that it was the anniversary of Maximoff and Vision. Agnes' questions about her having no wedding rings and their non-specific anniversary date caught Maximoff off-guard. She offered to help Maximoff plan their special night, while complaining to her about her deadbeat husband Ralph.
Once Wanda realized that her special night was her and Vision treating dinner to Vision's boss Arthur Hart, and his wife Mrs. Hart, she called Agnes to help. Agnes happily agreed, and she arrived at the Vision Residence with a large amount of food, that she and Maximoff could use to cook. She accidentally dropped a pot, which the Harts and Vision overheard. Maximoff rushed out Agnes, so she could use her abilities to cook, despite Agnes' offer to help cook and to exchange gossip.
Agnes had helped Wanda Maximoff and Vision's magic act for the Westview Talent Show, by lending them her pet rabbit, Señor Scratchy, whom she said had previously played Jesus at a Christmas pageant the previous year.
Having exchanged playful banter with Dennis the Mailman, she accompanied Maximoff to a committee meeting Dottie Jones and her group of fellow housewives. She warned Maximoff about Jones' influence on the town, and advised her to get on Jones' good side to make her life easier.
She sat beside Maximoff during the meeting, and later offered alcohol to Beverly, after she was humiliated by Jones. She continued drinking and silently remarked to Maximoff that she was surprised that anyone could stay sober.
Westview Talent Show
Agnes was among the audience during the Westview Talent Show, and secretly sabotaged the Magic show of Wanda Maximoff and Vision, which turned comedic due to Vision's intoxication and Maximoff's improvisation. Upon seeing Señor Scratchy on stage, Agnes bragged to the other audience members about the rabbit's star quality.
When Maximoff and Vision brought out the Cabinet of Mysteries, Agnes jokingly offered Ralph to the couple so that he could disappear, which elicited laughs from everybody. With an unintentionally successful show staged by the couple, Agnes was the first to offer a standing ovation among the crowd.
Suspicion about Geraldine
Agnes was seen helping Wanda Maximoff buy baby clothes, while they walked through Westview together. Later on, she cast a spell on Herb in order to make him act like he knew about Westview's secret, in order to make Vision suspicious of Geraldine.
When Vision saw them gossiping and approached the two, he deduced that they were talking about something related to them. When Vision tried to leave, Agnes called him over and asked if Geraldine was with Maximoff. She and Herb explain that Geraldine is new to the town, but seems suspicious since has no family nor home in Westview. When Herb tried to explain why Geraldine arrived at town, Agnes stopped him, and instead left the two, saying that she needed to set up her macramé at home.
Babysitter in Need
With Wanda Maximoff and Vision unable to rest due to their newborn children, Tommy and Billy, Maximoff suggested they need help. Right on cue, Agnes arrived, offering to help them instead of her scheduled jazz-ercise. Agnes' timing aroused Vision's suspicions, which made him tell her not to help them.
Agnes suddenly shifted in demeanor; she suddenly asked Maximoff if she should repeat her lines and redo the scene from the beginning. This further confused Vision, and shocked Maximoff as she realized Agnes was aware of her created reality as a simulated sitcom. Maximoff declared Agnes would help, so Agnes returned to her persona to take care of the twin babies, using an exercise routine to rock their cribs, spraying lavender on them, and finding dark liquor for the twins.
When the babies suddenly aged themselves up to five years old, Agnes was unfazed, instead contemplating about the uncontrollable nature of children.
Agnes later returned to the Vision Residence with exactly the item they need, a new doghouse, which Agnes had brought over after seeing that they have a new pet dog. She subsequently named the family's new dog Sparky.
While Agnes was still there, Wanda Maximoff created a dog tag in Agnes' presence, despite her and Vision's agreement to hide their abilities, attributing to her obliviousness when the boys aged up. When the twins aged again to ten years old, Agnes merely quipped that they hoped Sparky stays the same size.
When Sparky ran away from the Maximoffs' home, Agnes killed the dog before they could find him. She wrapped him up in a cloth before the Maximoffs arrived at her home, where she broke the bad news, claiming that Sparky had died from eating from her azalea bushes, and that she found him too late.
Agnes then overheard Tommy stating Maximoff could fix the dead, and Agnes asked her if she could resurrect the dead. She then stood by, and agreed as Maximoff advised her children that she could not run away from situations like the boys' aging, or reversing death.
Awakened by Vision
During Halloween night in Westview, Agnes drove to the outskirts of Westview just nearby the barrier of the Hex. Vision discovered Agnes in her car at an intersection furthest from town, pretending to be frozen in a trance. Agnes told him that she took a wrong turn trying to get to the Town Square Scare, which Vision asked how she got lost in the town she grew up in. Vision decided to use his powers derived from the Mind Stone to take her out of her trance.
Agnes then pretended to be shocked to see Vision’s presence, recognizing him as one of the Avengers, and asked if he was here to help. When Vision revealed he didn't know what an Avenger was, Agnes acted confused, asking if she had died. Vision assured her that she had not, and asked her why she would think as much, to which she replied with telling Vision that he himself was dead, as he was killed during the Battle of Wakanda. She later told him that no one could leave Westview and Wanda would not let anyone think about it. She then proceeded to cackle maniacally before Vision put her back in her previous state. Agnes suddenly acted in-character, and drove back towards the center of the city, much to Vision's confusion.
Agatha All Along
Due to Wanda Maximoff wallowing in her depression, Agnes offered to take Tommy and Billy Maximoff away from her so she could relax. She gave them food and drink whilst letting them watch television, assuring them that their mom would be fine, even though she was not sure herself.
Revealing Her True Self
Later, during a confrontation between Wanda Maximoff and Monica Rambeau, Agnes got involved to help Maximoff. She took Maximoff back to her house, and following Maximoff's suspicion concerning where Tommy and Billy Maximoff were, Agnes informed her that the kids were probably playing in the basement.
Once Maximoff was down in the basement, she discovered Agnes' lair, moments before being locked in, and Agnes finally revealing herself as the witch, Agatha Harkness. She enthralled Maximoff, projecting visions into her mind that revealed herself to have manipulated the recent events, which included controlling Herb, lying to Vision to further distance him from Maximoff, killing Sparky, and sending "Pietro Maximoff" to watch over Maximoff.
Maximoff attempted to read Harkness' mind, but this proved ineffective as Harkness had placed a protection spell around the room with runic symbols and in turn bound Maximoff in magical bonds. She then demonstrated her magical powers to Maximoff including transmutation and mind control and explained to Maximoff that she is capable of performing such magic but on a grander scale. Harkness then demanded to know how Maximoff created the Hex in the first place, but Maximoff was unable to recall how she pulled it off.
Deciding to use a bit more finesse in her interrogation, Harkness plucked a hair from Maximoff's head and used it to open a gateway into Maximoff's memories and to ensure Maximoff would follow her. Harkness revealed she was still holding Tommy and Billy somewhere in her dungeon, and having no other choice Maximoff followed Harkness through the door.
Revisiting Wanda's Past
Harkness and Wanda Maximoff went through Maximoff's traumatic life experiences including the death of her parents, being experimented on by HYDRA, and falling in love with Vision while living at the New Avengers Facility, as well as her lifelong obsession with sitcoms having grown up watching them in order to learn English.
They then witnessed Maximoff arriving at S.W.O.R.D. Headquarters and seeing Vision's body before going to Westview, the place where Vision had planned for them to live together. In her grief, Maximoff created the Westview Anomaly, as well as reconstructing Vision from her connection with the Mind Stone.
Having seen all she needed to put the pieces together, Harkness applauded Wanda Maximoff's display of Magic, before teleporting outside, where she held Tommy and Billy Maximoff with magical nooses around their throats, Harkness then revealed to Maximoff that she was a being long thought to be a myth, a being capable of creating something from nothing with the great power of Chaos Magic, and Maximoff was in fact the Scarlet Witch.
Maximoff attacked Harkness to release her hold on her children, before ordering them both inside of the Vision Residence to shield themselves. Attempting a second attack, Maximoff soon discovered that Harkness was able to not only absorb her chaos magic, but take a portion of her life force as well. Harkness attempted to strike a bargain with Maximoff: she would be able to maintain the Westview Anomaly, but she would have to give up the chaos powers.
Maximoff responded by chucking a car at her, but she teleported away. Harknes only re-appeared once to comment on White Vision and Maximoff's Vision standing together in the same vicinity, taunting Maximoff in the process. Harkness later ambushed Maximoff at the town square, bringing the Darkhold to lecture her about the legend of the Scarlet Witch: a being destined to destroy the world, forged into existence possessing magical abilities surpassing those of the Sorcerer Supreme, that same magic not bound to a coven or incantation.
When Maximoff attempted to reject any correlation to legend, Harkness responded by releasing the residents of Westview from Maximoff's influence. They immediately guilted her with pleas and questions in regards to their loved ones, causing an incredibly tense Maximoff to break down and inadvertently release a wave of magic that began to suffocate them. While Maximoff quickly reversed the spell, Harkness bellowed out that heroes do not torture people.
This caused Maximoff to begin destroying the Anomaly, but in doing so caused the rest of her family to disintegrate, leading for Harkness to remark that one world could not exist without the other. They were saved when Maximoff halted the Anomaly's destruction, and while they reunited, Harkness attacked them, prompting Maximoff to block it with her chaos magic. However, Harkness was able to absorb it and drained more of Maximoff's life. When White Vision and S.W.O.R.D. arrived at the town square to fight the Maximoffs, Harkness and Maximoff continued their confrontation while the rest of the family split up to face their enemies.
Defeated by Scarlet Witch
Wanda Maximoff was able to use teleportation to ambush Harkness and subject her to a hallucination, taking them back to her 1693 trial and attempted execution. The corpses of her Salem Coven victims began to reanimate, but Maximoff's spell backfired as they all recognized her as the Scarlet Witch, prompting them to tie her to the stake instead of Harkness, who repeated her offer to Maximoff about Chaos Magic.
Emerging out of the hallucination, Maximoff tackled Harkness before blasting her repeatedly with chaos magic, seemingly accepting the bargain. As more of Maximoff's essence was transferred into her, Harkness began to celebrate her apparent victory, before attempting a final energy blast. As no magic emerged out of Harkness, Maximoff revealed that actions were merely a distraction for her to cast protection runes on the walls of the Hex, granting her supreme control of the magic in Westview. Powerless, Harkness could not do anything as Maximoff drained the magic out of her, fully transforming into the Scarlet Witch as depicted in legend.
As Scarlet Witch's powers reached an apex, Harkness could only comment in horror about what she had unleashed. The empowered Scarlet Witch revealed that she planned on imprisoning Harkness in Westview as the sitcom character she chose for herself, "Agnes." Harkness pled with Scarlet Witch not to subject her to such a fate, notifying Scarlet Witch that she would need her, but became enthralled anyway, acting as the nosy neighbor like Scarlet Witch planned.
- "I take power from the undeserving. It's kinda my thing. You're clearly in over your little red head. So, why don't you surrender your magic to someone who knows what to do with it? And I'll let you keep this pathetic little corner of the world all to yourself."
- ―Agatha Harkness to Wanda Maximoff[src]
Agatha Harkness has been mainly shown by her alias, Agnes. Her quirkiness and humor grant her the main comedic role in the sitcom reality. She is often seen making jokes and comments for comedic relief.
Once she is revealed as the witch Agatha Harkness, her demeanor becomes more sinister, though her personality for the most part seems to be similar to Agnes'. She is shown to be envious of Wanda Maximoff's raw magical potential and views Maximoff with contempt for squandering her magic on maintaining the fantasy within the Hex, believing that she is undeserving of her abilities. Throughout their confrontation, Harkness criticizes Maximoff's less than heroic actions, such as her time in HYDRA and her imprisonment and torment of the citizens of Westview, further attempts to plant more seeds of doubt in her. Harkness is also arrogant, mocking Maximoff throughout their battle in Westview when she believes she has the upper hand; this turns out to be her undoing, as she unwittingly gives Maximoff the idea to use her original protection spell against her. Harkness was obsessed with power, and would not hesitate to become the most powerful sorceress, resorting to dark magic to achieve it. Harkness values her magical knowledge and prowess greatly, being upset when Maximoff drained her of her magic and horrified when she learns Wanda intends to punish her by condemning her to an ordinary life in Westview as Agnes.
Powers and Abilities
Master Sorceress: Agatha Harkness is a very powerful sorceress capable of manipulating mystical energy for a variety of effects, such as casting spells. Her mystic power manifests as purple energy. According to her, some of her dark powers took years of study to master. After obtaining the Darkhold, Harkness used it to amplify her powers, which enhanced several of her spells allowing her to be unnoticed by other witches, like Wanda Maximoff.
- Telekinesis: Harkness has demonstrated the ability to control matter as well as energy and was able to close a door with a single movement of her fingers as well as break energy binds placed on her by her coven during her trial. During her confrontation with Maximoff, she lifted several S.W.O.R.D. operatives a few stories into the air, outlining them with purple energy, before dropping them and letting Maximoff catch them with her own power.
- Flight: Harkness arrived flying to Westview. After being knocked over by Maximoff's energy blast, she was able to raise herself back onto her feet. She was able to fly at length during her confrontation against Scarlet Witch, and even managed to remain floating in the air despite the runes created by Scarlet Witch which had rendered Harkness' other magical attacks ineffective.
- Energy Manipulation: Harkness is able to shape her dark and mystical energy into tangible constructs and utilize it in various ways. When initially confronting Wanda Maximoff, she conjured magical bindings around her wrists and ankles to restrain her. Similarly, she was able to conjure magical strings to restrain Billy Maximoff and Tommy Maximoff by their necks.
- Energy Absorption: When Harkness was on trial she demonstrated that she was capable of corrupting the magic from the witches of her own coven, effectively siphoning their energies and killing them. Her abilities allowed her to absorb and convert Chaos Magic from Maximoff into her Dark Magic while simultaneously draining Maximoff's body of life each time she was directly attack by Maximoff with her powers, allowing her to not only withstand Maximoff's attacks, but gain strength from them instead.
- Energy Bolts: Harkness was capable of launching powerful bolts of purple mystical energy from her hands. After absorbing the Chaos Magic from Maximoff's energy bolts, she was able to fire projectiles made of Chaos Magic and her Dark Magic combined.
- Energy Sensing: Harkness was initially drawn to the Westview Anomaly after sensing the afterglow of its complex network of spells.
- Mental Manipulation: Harkness's magic allows her to interact with and control the minds of others. She was able to make Herb, her neighbor, go along with her plan in confusing Vision. She was also able to control her pet Señor Scratchy and take control of a cicada with an incantation while demonstrating magic to Maximoff. She was able to project images of her exploits within Westview into Maximoff's mind and, when inside an illusory recreation of Maximoff's memories, was able to cause Maximoff to directly relive the experiences as well as pull her out of them at will. When Maximoff tried to trap her in an illusion of her trial by her coven, Harkness was able to turn the illusion against her, causing the corpses of her fellow witches to attack and briefly subdue Maximoff.
- Psionic Resistance: Harkness is able to resist telepathic intrusion and reality manipulation to a degree, as she was able to live inside the Westview Anomaly without it truly changing her or affecting her mind. Additionally, neither Billy nor Wanda Maximoff were able to sense her thoughts, with the latter's attempts to trap Harkness in an illusion failing to harm or restrain her, as Harkness simply took control over it away from Maximoff.
- Illusion Manipulation: Harkness was able to caused Maximoff to relive her memories using magic via a piece of her hair, which aided her in creating an illusory space inside a compartment of her basement lair that could realistically simulate events and locations from Wanda's past.
- Transmutation: Harkness was able to change her appearance and witch costume for that of a normal neighbor. She was also able to change a cicada into a bird and back. In her witch form, Harkness' fingers turn black.
- Enchantment: Harkness is capable of imbuing objects with supernatural powers, notably creating an enchanted necklace with a crystallum possession spell that allowed her to control Ralph Bohner, giving him the personality of a false Pietro Maximoff, as well as simulating the real Pietro's super speed. Additionally, the roots surrounding her basement lair were infused with her Dark Magic, as seen by Monica Rambeau.
- Necromancy: Harkness considered animating the body of Pietro Maximoff as an attempt to get close to Maximoff, but declined the option due to it being on another continent and heavily damaged.
- Teleportation: Harkness has the ability to teleport herself and others, leaving a distinctive purple smoke each time she uses this ability. She was able to teleport from within the Vision Residence to the street, and at the same time bring Billy and Tommy Maximoff from the basement of her house.
- Conjuration: Harkness was capable of causing the Darkhold to materialize out of a small purple and black portal to read the description of Maximoff's future as the Scarlet Witch before sending it back through it.
- Protection Spell: Using a basic protection spell via magic runes on the walls of the structure beneath her house, Harkness was able to neutralize Maximoff's Chaos Magic. As she explains to Maximoff, only the person who cast this spell can use magic in the radius of the protection spell's range.
- Longevity: After absorbing the magic from the witches of her own coven, Harkness is able to live far beyond a normal human lifespan, having survived for at least three hundred and twenty five years.
- Expert Tactician: Harkness was able to manipulate events within the Westview Anomaly for at least a week, right down to the plots of the sitcom, all while pretending to be enthralled by Wanda Maximoff and hiding her true nature.
- Bilingualism: Harkness can speak fluent English and Latin when she performs magical spells that require incantations.
- Darkhold: As a master of the Dark Arts, Harkness eventually obtained the Darkhold, which she used as an amplification totem for her powers. Harkness learned of the Scarlet Witch myth thanks to the book. She lost it to Wanda Maximoff.
- Ralph Bohner's House: In her disguise as Agnes and Maximoffs neighbour, she resided in Bohner’s house and added a basement where she kept the Darkhold.
- Season One
- Previously On (flashback)
- We Interrupt This Program (video footage)
- On a Very Special Episode...
- Breaking the Fourth Wall (flashback, concurrent events)
- All-New Halloween Spooktacular!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall (flashback, concurrent events)
- Breaking the Fourth Wall
- Previously On
- The Series Finale
- Season One
- In the comics, Agatha Harkness is a witch who lived through the fall of Atlantis and the Salem witch trials. She was a mentor of Scarlet Witch and the babysitter of Franklin Richards. In the Ultimate Universe, she was a foe of the Ultimate Fantastic Four, able to split from one individual to seven.
- Agnes' fake marriage anniversary with her husband Ralph (June 2nd), references June 2nd 1692, the day the Salem witch trials began.
Behind the Scenes
- Kathryn Hahn was secretly informed since the beginning that she would be playing Agatha Harkness in WandaVision. To prepare for the role, Hahn read some comic books featuring her character and saw other movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- In the early development stages of WandaVision, Agatha Harkness served more like a mentor figure towards Wanda Maximoff, but the crew realized that making her a proper antagonist would serve the show's structure well as they legitimately broke the episodes. It was also explored the possibility of Agatha wanting Wanda's powers to bring her mother back. Back when Agatha was planned to be Wanda's mentor, she was going to teach her early on a binding spell Wanda would use while saying goodbye for the last time to Vision in the final episode.
- Kevin Feige confirmed that Agatha Harkness would return in a future instalment.
- Whitney Coleman and Athena Perample were stunt doubles for Kathryn Hahn in the role of Agatha Harkness.
- WandaVision: 1.01: Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience
- WandaVision: 1.05: On a Very Special Episode...
- WandaVision: 1.09: The Series Finale
- WandaVision: 1.08: Previously On
- WANDAVISION'S CREATIVE TEAM DISCUSSES THE DARKHOLD, THE SCARLET WITCH, AND FAN THEORIES
- WandaVision: 1.07: Breaking the Fourth Wall
- WandaVision 1.02: Don't Touch That Dial
- WandaVision: 1.04: We Interrupt This Program
- WandaVision 1.03: Now in Color
- WandaVision 1.06: All-New Halloween Spooktacular!
- Kathryn Hahn Reacts to WandaVision’s "Agatha All Along" Topping the iTunes Charts
- 'WandaVision' Creator on Agatha's Master Plan, That Ralph Bohner Reveal and White Vision (Exclusive)
- The Oral History of ‘WandaVision’
- KEVIN FEIGE BREAKS DOWN THE MCU'S PHASE 4 SO FAR: WANDAVISION, FALCON, LOKI, AND BLACK WIDOW