The Abilisk appeared on the planet Sovereign, drawn by their Anulax Batteries and began feeding on them. The Sovereign, believing that it was beneath them to fight the Abilisk themselves, hired the Guardians of the Galaxy to kill it for them.
The Guardians set up a trap for the Abilisk. When the Abilisk returned to feed on the batteries, the Guardians attacked it, with a large battle taking place. It saw one of the Guardians running towards it and simply swallowed him. With two other Guardians drawing its attention, the Abilisk looked up, snapping at them. To its surprise, however, Gamora drew her sword and drove it into its injury, cutting the creature open. The Abilisk collapsed, with it dying soon after from "blood" loss.
- Superhuman Strength: The Abilisk's tentacles possess the strength to lift, drag, and crush objects the size of humans effortlessly.
- Superhuman Durability: The Abilisk's skin was durable enough to withstand multiple blasts from Rocket Raccoon's many guns and Star-Lord's Quad Blasters. It was only killed when Gamora attacked a pre-existing cut on its neck.
- Quantum Blasts: The Abilisk was able to shoot rainbow blasts of quantum splatter out of its mouth during the Battle on Sovereign.
- Interdimensional Travel: The Abilisk could travel between dimensions.
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Attempted Victims
- While the Abilisk is an original character of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, in the comics the Guardians of the Galaxy's first mission was to prevent a similar inter-dimensional beast to breach into the universe through a fissure in the space-time continuum.
- James Gunn described the Abilisk as similar to "a pink-naked mouse" or "the inside of an old man's ear".
Behind the Scenes
- The visual effects and style of the Abilisk's Matter Waves were inspired by Gunn's collaboration with Suda51 on the video-game Lollipop Chainsaw.