| "It's our policy not to comment on ongoing operations."|
The specific order and/or accurate dates presented in this article has never been confirmed by Marvel Studios and/or Marvel Television.
They have been inferred by fans and therefore they can be inaccurate, incomplete, or biased.
This is a timeline of events that occurred during 2023.
- "I keep telling everybody they should move on... and grow. Some do. But not us."
- ―Steve Rogers
- Steve Rogers attends a therapy group with other Snap survivors. One of the members, Bobby, talks about how he has tackled the tough step of going on a date for the first time in 5 years. Rogers congratulates him and talks about the fact that they need to take baby steps to move on, something he himself struggled with after losing the love of his life in 1945, and states that they need to do something with their lives, otherwise Thanos might as well have killed them all.
- In a San Francisco storage unit, a rat inside Luis' van walks onto the panel's buttons, which activates the Quantum Tunnel, causing Ant-Man to finally return from the Quantum Realm. He is disoriented and confused.
- The security guard at the facility is surprised to see Lang on the security feed, and lets him out.
- After his release, Lang finds the city is mostly abandoned. He asks a passer-by what happened, but the boy does not respond.
- Lang finds the Wall of the Vanished, a monument in San Francisco listing the local victims of the Snap 5 years earlier. Fearful for his daughter, he scans the monument for the Lang surname, only to instead find his own name, presumed dead due to his disappearance the same day as the event.
- Visiting his ex-wife's house, Scott Lang desperately rings the doorbell. Cassie, now 16 years old, comes to the door. Scott is stunned by the age of his daughter, and Cassie is overwhelmed to find out her father is actually alive. They embrace.
- Carol Danvers pings Rocket Raccoon and Nebula about a suspect warship that they are closer to than her, asking her to investigate. The duo, however, find it to just be an infectious garbage scowl.
- Tremors in Africa are caused by a mild subduction under the African plate. Okoye goes to get readings on the tremors.
- Massacre in Mexico: Ronin massacres the Mexican Cartel as he continues to travel and channel his anger into killing criminals who survived the Snap.
- At the New Avengers Facility, Natasha Romanoff conducts a meeting via hologram with Nebula, Rocket Raccoon, Okoye, Captain Marvel, and War Machine, getting updates about the status of the galaxy and Wakanda and its surrounding area. Okoye explains the tremors were just tremors, and there is nothing to be done about them. Danvers then explains that the kind of trouble Earth is going through is also occurring across many planets, so she is having to cover a lot of territory and may not be around for a while.
- The group all shut down their holograms save for Rhodes, who tells Romanoff that he is in Mexico that there has been a cartel massacre, and that the perpetrator was definitely Clint Barton - the latest in a series of attacks by him over the preceding few years. She sadly asks him to still keep looking for where he might be heading next.
- Steve Rogers arrives at the facility to check in on his friend. He admits that while he tells people they should move on, he cannot himself, and that he knows Romanoff cannot either. Romanoff tells her friend that the Avengers gave her a job and family that she did not have beforehand, and she was better for it, still trying now even though the group is gone to be better. Rogers notes they should probably both "get a life", but Romanoff sadly smiles, joking, "You first." They are interrupted by a call at the front gate, and when Romanoff answers, they find Scott Lang, announcing himself and saying he really needs to talk to them.
- Once Lang has been welcomed inside, he tells the duo that while he was gone for 5 years, he only experienced 5 hours in the Quantum Realm. He explains to them that the realm operates on its own, unpredictable rules of time, suggesting that if there were a way to navigate it temporally, it could potentially be exploited to effectively time travel to before Thanos' attack, opening a possibility of finding a way to reverse the Snap. Romanoff is willing to entertain the idea, and Lang asks who they need to talk to.
- Tony Stark goes to get his 4-year-old daughter, Morgan, from her tent outside his and Pepper Potts' home. He discovers Morgan has gone into the garage and taken a helmet from something he had made for her mother, and picks her up to take her inside for lunch. As he heads back, Steve Rogers, Scott Lang, and Natasha Romanoff arrive at the house.
- The group explain their proposal to Stark, but he explains that time travel is not navigable. Rogers points out the Infinity Stones are still around in the past, so they could get them, with Romanoff saying they could click their fingers themselves to bring the lost people back, Lang nicknaming the plan a "Time Heist". Stark worries they could just make things even worse, but when Rogers suggests they might not, Stark points out that there is still no logical, tangible way to safely execute the Time Heist. Lang thinks he can convince him so long as they follow the "rules of time travel", but Stark points out his idea is naively based on Back to the Future, which is not how quantum physics works. Lang angrily points out that many people, himself included, lost people who they care about, but Stark simply states that he cannot agree to help. Morgan comes back out and Tony tells the team that she already is his second chance.
- Hulk, now a merged version of himself retaining the green muscular form but Banner's intelligence and personality, saves a group of civilians from a burning building. He receives a call from Steve Rogers about experimenting with time travel.
- Rogers, Lang, and Romanoff visit Hulk, meeting with him in a diner. Some children come over and take a photo with him, and Lang is disappointed when they are not interested in a photo with Ant-Man. When Rogers brings up the time travel possibility, Hulk is initially skeptical, but with Romanoff's encouragement, agrees to help them experiment with the idea.
- Tony Stark is washing dishes when he accidentally sprays a photo on his shelf. Wiping it clean, he finds it's a picture of himself with Peter Parker. The photo reminds him of what he lost, and he decides to give time travel theory a try.
- Tony Stark uses F.R.I.D.A.Y. to run different configurations for navigating time. He is shocked when one, revolving around an inverted Möbius strip, turns out to be feasible. Morgan interrupts him, and he takes her up to bed.
- As Morgan Stark is put to bed, she tells her father she loves him "three thousand".
- Talking to his wife, Tony Stark tells Potts that he figured out time travel, and does not know what to do. He suggests that he could just stop now, but Potts points out that stopping is not in his nature, and he would not be able to rest knowing he did not help.
- Hulk, Romanoff, and Rogers set up their first time travel test, using the Quantum Tunnel in Luis' van. Hulk tries to send Scott Lang back in time, but instead pushes backwards time through Lang, ageing him backwards to a 12-year-old. In trying to fix it, he instead ages him to a 93-year-old, then back to a baby, before finally managing to return him to normal.
- Tony Stark returns to the New Avengers Facility, coming across Steve Rogers. He explains that he anticipated what happened to Lang, being the EPR paradox. He says that he wants to help now, but they must also keep what they have found for themselves in the years since the Snap. Tony takes the Captain America shield from his car boot, hand it back to Rogers the way his father once had, reminding him that Howard made it for him, and as a sign of their reconciliation. Rogers graciously accepts it, and says they are working on assembling the team.
- Scott Lang attempts to each a taco, but is disrupted when Rocket Raccoon and Nebula arrive at the New Avengers Facility on the Benatar, followed by War Machine.
- Hulk and Rocket fly the Benatar to Tønsberg, Norway, where they visit the "New Asgard" establishment the remainder of the Asgardians have set up to build their new lives. On arrival, Valkyrie greets them, but warns Thor will not be welcoming to them and only leaves his hut to get more beer for himself.
- The duo go to recruit Thor, finding him an obese, unkempt alcoholic, reduced in his depression to simply playing video games with Korg and Miek. They tell him they are working to fix what happened with Thanos, but the reminder upsets Thor, after having failed in 2018. Hulk reminds him that he helped him out of a bad place before and says they need him, eventually convincing him to come with them.
- Massacre in Tokyo:
- Ronin has found a Japanese Yakuza leader, Akihiko, and has tracked him down to his stronghold in Tokyo. On arrival, the now merciless Barton kills every member of the Yakuza present.
- Barton comes face-to-face with Akihiko and engages him in a sword duel. He slices his gut, then his throat. As Akihiko kneels and begs for his life, Barton runs him through.
- Barton realizes Natasha Romanoff is behind him and turns to see his friend for the first time in 5 years. She informs him that the Avengers have a plan, and while he is reluctant to let himself have any hope, she takes his hand and convinces him to return with them.
- Scott Lang dons a newly-developed Advanced Tech Suit to trial time travel again, explaining that with Hank Pym dead, they only have enough Pym Particles for a round trip each and two test runs. He fumbles using one vial, and decides he is not ready. Barton volunteers to go instead.
- Barton dons the machine, and James Rhodes and Scott Lang ask Hulk why they cannot simply change time by killing a baby Thanos or stealing the Infinity Stones before Thanos can get them. Hulk explains, however, that you cannot just change your own past, and if you travel to the past, that simply puts your former present in your past, helping them to understand why it cannot simply be edited.
- Barton tests test the Quantum Tunnel for the group and enters the Quantum Realm, with the goal of exiting at his homestead in 2018, before his family was wiped out.
- Barton arrives back through the tunnel after his visit to 2018, still carrying a baseball mitt he picked up from his homestead in 2018. He informs the team that it worked.
- Steve Rogers and Tony Stark lead a meeting of the Avengers to discuss planning when and where to time travel to so as to retrieve the six Infinity Stones from history. They point out that the Infinity Stones are entwined with their history, so there are not many convenient places. They ask Thor for help regarding information on the Aether, but he has fallen asleep.
- Thor, now awake, starts to explain the Aether, but gets sidetracked, talking about how Jane Foster ended up picking up the liquid and taking her to Asgard, where she met Frigga. He becomes upset thinking about Frigga's death and breaking up with Foster, before Stark stops him.
- Rocket Raccoon tells the group about Peter Quill having found the Power Stone on Morag.
- Nebula warns the Avengers that Thanos retrieved the Soul Stone from Vormir, a "dominion of death", and notes that she knows it is where Thanos murdered her sister.
- As Tony Stark and Hulk discuss Doctor Strange having had the Time Stone, Natasha Romanoff realizes that if they pick the right year, there are three stones simultaneously in New York.
- Steve Rogers announces for the Avengers that they now have a plan for their Time Heist, with three teams: New York for the Space, Mind, and Time Stones, Asgard for the Reality Stone, and Morag/Vormir for Power and Soul. The team all take a look at the final plan.
- Tony Stark records a message for his family ahead of the Time Heist, in case something goes wrong.
- Time Heist:
- All wearing Advanced Tech Suits, the Avengers stride to the new Quantum Tunnel. Steve Rogers gives them a pep talk and tells them to be careful and look each other, with the assurance that they will win, whatever it takes.
- Hulk prepares the Quantum Tunnel, and Clint Barton is given the shrunken-down Benatar to take with him on the mission, with Rocket making him promise to return it safely.
- They are split into three groups: Rogers, Stark, Lang, and Hulk for 2012, Thor and Rocket for 2013, and Barton, Romanoff, Rhodes, and Nebula for 2014.
- Hulk sets off the Quantum Tunnel, and Romanoff jokes, "See you in a minute." The Avengers' helmets go up, and they enter the Quantum Realm.
- Moments after leaving, the Avengers return, with one exception: Natasha Romanoff, having sacrificed herself for Clint Barton to retrieve the Soul Stone in 2014. Unbeknownst to the others, Nebula is actually the 2014 version still with intense loyalty to Thanos, who intercepted the 2023 Nebula in the past.
- Tony Stark, Clint Barton, Steve Rogers, Thor, and Hulk grieve Romanoff on a float just outside of the New Avengers Facility, as they come to terms with her death. Thor wants to use the Infinity Stones to bring Romanoff back, but Barton explains the everlasting nature the guardian of the stone told them about.
- A custom-made Infinity Gauntlet, the Nano Gauntlet, is completed by Tony Stark, Rocket Raccoon, and Hulk.
- Thor asks to be the one to snap his fingers with the Nano Gauntlet, desperate to do something right to make up for his mistakes. Stark tells him he is not in the right state, and Hulk explains that the radiation from the stones is mostly gamma, so given his gamma-based nature and strength, he is the most likely to survive.
- While the Avengers prepare, the 2014 Nebula, assumed by the others to be the 2023 Nebula they know, goes to execute her plan.
- Stark reminds Hulk that the only change to be made is to bring everyone who died in the Snap back in present day, without altering anything else about the last 5 years or the present. Banner dons the gauntlet, struggling with the power it surges into him, but coping.
- Nebula opens the gateway to the 2014 that the Time Heist left behind, allowing Thanos' flagship, the Sanctuary II, to be transported through.
- Blip: Despite significant damage to his right arm, Hulk manages to snap his fingers for the return of all life lost in the Snap in 2018. Stark cools his burned and wizened arm. Meanwhile, Scott Lang walks outside and notices the birds tweeting once again outside, just as Clint Barton's phone rings. Clint is overwhelmed when he finds out that the caller is Laura, and he takes the call from her, overjoyed to hear she is indeed alive once again. Lang tells the others he thinks it really worked.
- Attack on the New Avengers Facility:
- Before the Avengers can appreciate their success, the Sanctuary II suddenly bears down on the facility and fires a barrage of missiles. Lang shrinks down for safety and the facility begins to crumble, the other Avengers falling to the rubble of the foundations below. The facility is destroyed, along with the Quantum Tunnel.
- Hulk holds up rubble to protect War Machine and Rocket. Rhodes ejects out of his armor and crawls, without the support his mechanical legs provide for his paralysis, to help free Rocket as he struggles to breathe. The area starts to flood.
- Ant-Man hears Rhodes' calls on comms for help with the flood.
- Hawkeye struggles through the rubble, before finding the fallen Nano Gauntlet. He hears a noise from behind him and fires a flashlight arrow down the tunnel, illuminating Outriders crawling toward him. He picks up the gauntlet and runs.
- 2014 Nebula reunites with 2014 Thanos, who thanks her. He asks her to find the stones for him, while he waits.
- 2014 Gamora watches from the Sanctuary II, concerned. She turns to 2023 Nebula and asks what happened between them after 2014, and 2023 Nebula explains that despite their fights, they go on to be sisters. Gamora offers to help 2023 Nebula stop Thanos.
- Iron Man finds Captain America, unconscious in the rubble. He wakes him and gives him back his shield, saying that their messing with time has led to time retaliating.
- Iron Man and Captain America join Thor, who has been watching Thanos, and tells them the Titan has not moved. They accept that they are walking into a trap, but decide to attack nonetheless. Thor summons lightning, which changes him into armor and braided hair, as he brings both the 2013 Mjølnir and Stormbreaker to his hands.
- The trio walk to confront Thanos. Thanos thinks over his 2018 self's victory and the fact that people are not grateful for his actions, deciding he must wipe away the universe to be the creator of a new one that does not know loss or what it cost to come into existence. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America charge him, each attacking together as Thanos fends them off.
- Rhodes and Rocket panic as the water fills up their underground area. Ant-Man, meanwhile, makes his way to them to help.
- Hawkeye runs from the Outrider horde through several towers, detonating an explosive arrow behind him to take out some of the aliens. He shoots a wire up a vertical tunnel, using his katana to cut away any aliens that jump after him, and getting to safety.
- At the top of the tunnel, Hawkeye is greeted by Nebula. Exhausted, he hands her the gauntlet, not knowing she is the 2014 Nebula, who contacts Thanos to say she has acquired the stones. Hawkeye panics, just as Gamora and the 2023 Nebula enter. Gamora holds a blaster to 2014 Nebula as she and 2023 Nebula try to convince her to change, having seen the potential she has to be better. 2014 Nebula forlornly says that Thanos would not let her and goes to blast Gamora, but 2023 Nebula shoots her first, killing her. Hawkeye retrieves the gauntlet.
- Iron Man has Thor charge him with lightning, like their first encounter in 2012, for a stronger attack on Thanos, but Thanos deflects the blast with his sword. Thor uses Stormbreaker to hit Mjølnir at the Titan, but Thanos uses Iron Man as a shield, the hammer instead knocking Stark out.
- Captain America attacks Thanos, only to be knocked aside. Thor dives and swings Stormbreaker at him, but Thanos disarms him, before kicking and pummeling him. When Thor tries to summon Stormbreaker, Thanos catches the weapon and starts to push it through Thor's breastplate.
- Captain America picks up Mjølnir, deemed worthy of wielding the enchanted weapon, and hurls it to knock Thanos off of his friend, before summoning it back to him.
- Using a Mjølnir that Thor brought back from 2013, Rogers is able to match Thanos for a time, until the latter gets a foothold and uses his sword to cleave Cap's shield in two.
- While his previous conquests have been detached of emotion, Thanos mentions he will enjoy erasing Earth, calling forth the full force of his armies. Steve Rogers the only hero left, still resolute, re-straps what remains of his shield, and walks to confront Thanos and the Black Order.
- Battle of Earth: Following the Blip, Doctor Strange used teleportation magic to summon a massive Avengers Allied Army from throughout space: The Armies of the Asgardians, Masters of the Mystic Arts, The Ravagers, The United Wakandan Armies, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. With their combined forces, they fight off Thanos' army. When trying to take the Nano Gauntlet out of Thanos' reach to prevent his plan of universal oblivion and renewal, Ant-Man remembers Luis' Van has a portal, the Avengers aimed to use it to get rid of the Infinity Gauntlet, passing the Gauntlet across themselves on the way to the car. As Thanos orders an air strike, Captain Marvel returns to provide an assist, taking the gauntlet for a dash to the portal, but Thanos still destroys the van. As the Avengers do all they can to stop Thanos from getting the Infinity Gauntlet, it is when Thanos uses the raw energy of the Power Stone to knock out Captain Marvel, that Stark gets an idea when Doctor Strange gestures that they are now within the one outcome he saw where Thanos was defeated. Grabbing the gauntlet, Stark steals the Infinity Stones and equips them to his armor's glove.
- Using the combined power of the Infinity Stones, Tony Stark snaps his fingers to kill the alternate-time-travelling Thanos and his invading army, at the cost of his own life.
- Tony Stark dies and a funeral is held for him at his old home, where he is mourned by his family, friends and fellow heroes.
- Thor, in search of his calling, leaves New Asgard under the care of Valkyrie, dubbing her New Asgard's new King before going to join the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Accommodating the students resurrected by Bruce Banner, the Midtown School of Science and Technology restarts its academic year, making their credits from 2018 invalid.
- Peter Parker reunites with Ned Leeds once returning to school following the Battle of Earth.
- Scott Lang, Hope van Dyne, and the now teenage Cassie Lang, watch the night sky as fireworks explode in the background.
- Following the Avengers' victory, Wakanda holds a celebration for the return of many victims of Thanos' Snap, including their royal family. The capital city was aglow with lights, festival music, and people filling the streets with cheer.
- Captain America is sent to return the Infinity Stones and Mjølnir to their original time periods. However, he does not return to the time machine. Instead, Rogers travels back to the 1949 and decides to stay in that period and spending the rest of his life with Peggy Carter. After a failed attempt by Bruce Banner to bring him back to the present, Winter Soldier and Falcon see an old man sitting ahead by the lake. Encouraged by Barnes, Wilson approaches that man, understanding that he is an elderly Steve Rogers, returned from living in an alternate history. After discussing with him, Rogers delivers his now intact shield to Wilson.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 1.53 1.54 1.55 1.56 1.57 1.58 1.59 1.60 1.61 1.62 1.63 1.64 1.65 1.66 1.67 1.68 1.69 1.70 1.71 1.72 1.73 1.74 1.75 1.76 1.77 1.78 In Avengers: Endgame, events begin in mid-2018 (see 2018 references), then the film jumps to "five years later", making it 2023. This is supported later when, in "2014", Ebony Maw says that Nebula has come from "9 years in the future".
In Spider-Man: Far From Home, Betty Brant says on the "last day of school" before "summer", in late June, that the snapped people were brought back "8 months ago". This would place Hulk's snap in October, so October 2023.
Approximately 11 days after Hulk's snap there is a full moon over Wakanda, which would be the night of October 28, 2023, making Hulk's snap October 17, 2023. Given the span of time Avengers: Endgame spans, it can therefore be taken that it takes place ultimately from October 3, 2023 to October 30, 2023.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 2.25 2.26 2.27 2.28 2.29 2.30 2.31 2.32 2.33 2.34 2.35 2.36 2.37 2.38 2.39 2.40 2.41 2.42 2.43 2.44 2.45 2.46 2.47 2.48 2.49 2.50 2.51 2.52 2.53 2.54 2.55 2.56 2.57 2.58 2.59 2.60 2.61 2.62 2.63 2.64 2.65 2.66 2.67 2.68 2.69 2.70 2.71 2.72 2.73 2.74 2.75 2.76 2.77 Avengers: Endgame
- ↑ Spider-Man: Far From Home